2 replies to this topic

#1 Chrisbittner

Chrisbittner

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

I know this is a celiac forum, although many of us suffer from IBS as well as Celiac, like myself, which may have caused the IBS in the first place.  Anyways, I have started this treatment 2 days ago along with my modified diet and probiotics, and I have been feeling much better overall already.  This probably just sounds like another "magical" recovery, but I have found many clinical studies on it as well and I thought I would let you all look for yourselves in that hopes that it could help someone.  Here is a link to 8 articles I found. https://www.medify.c...415736407720288

Here is an abstract of one of the articles I found interesting:

Digestive Diseases and SciencesJune 2005, Volume 50, Issue 6, pp 1107-1112

Treatment Effects of Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum on Symptoms and Quality of Life of Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. A Multicenter Randomized Open Trial

Giancarlo Parisi MD,

Enrico Bottona MD,

Maurizio Carrara MD,

Fabrizio Cardin MD,

Alessandra Faedo MD,

Dario Goldin MD,

Marco Marino MD,

Maurizio Pantalena MD,

Gianni Tafner MD,

Giorgio Verdianelli MD,

Abstract

The effects of partially hydrolyzed guar gum (PHGG) were compared in patients with irritable bowel syndrome, at 10 g/day (N = 40) and 5 g/day (N = 46) for 12 weeks. Gastrointestinal symptoms (GSRS), quality of life (SF-36), and psychological symptoms (HADS) were evaluated at baseline, during treatment (months 1 and 3), and at follow-up (month 6). In both groups symptoms and quality of life improved significantly after the first month of administration until follow-up compared to those at baseline. However, the improvement was significantly reduced at follow-up compared to the end of treatment. PHGG was effective for improving somatic (gastrointestinal symptoms) and psychological (quality of life and psychological distress) symptoms over the short term. Since the improvement tended to decrease after the end of the treatment period, further studies should evaluate the benefits of PHGG at a maintenance dosage.

I didn't feel like paying the $40 for the full article, but there are a couple others I could fully open that are similar.  PHGG is simply a natural soluble fiber.  These articles show only continuous positive improvement overall when taking PHGG.  This study was only done for 3 months.  What if the treatment was done for 2 years?  Could our bodied possibly heal themselves of IBS?  Anyone had any personal experience with PHGG?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

Only the first link in the above post works.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Chrisbittner

Chrisbittner

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Oops.  Sorry, the only link I meant to post was the first one.  Can disregard the others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: