4 replies to this topic

#1 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

I want to get my own rice grinder to make rice flour. It is so expensive at the store and come in such small packages! I was hoping I could get some good brands from a few who have experience with these machines. They look pretty expensive to be buying the wrong one. Thanks for any ideas! 

Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SUZIN

SUZIN

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

I want to get my own rice grinder to make rice flour. It is so expensive at the store and come in such small packages! I was hoping I could get some good brands from a few who have experience with these machines. They look pretty expensive to be buying the wrong one. Thanks for any ideas! 

I have a Nutramil...have had it since 2008...I grind my own flours....rice, buckwheat, popcorn (I use popcorn instread of corn, it is easier to get from the grocery store, and cheap), The mill works pretty good, but I don't know if there is a grain mill that is better...I am not familiar with other mills.....When I want oat flour...I use rolled oats, and chop it up in my processor.....Yes, the mill was pricey...at that time about $280...at that time I believed the Nutramil to be the best one for me.....I didn't want to pay the prices for flour in the store either....and that is partly the reason for buying my own grain mill....plus I know what's in my flour, and it's fresh....I have found a supplier of milo...and plan on getting some of the grain to grind into flour....

#3 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Thanks! With all the talk of contaminated rice I'd prefer to make my own rice flour and I've always been OCD about what's in my food (even before Celiac). This information is useful, thank you :)
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

I have a Vitamix that could shred a hockey puck to dust. It's my favourite kitchen "power tool". They are very expensive but they last decades. Great for smoothies, soups, food processing and making flours.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

I use my KitchenAid mixer for anything I can find an excuse to use it for. I only have one attachment for it at the moment which is the shredder/slicer which I bought for cheese and hash browns because I simply don't have the stamina or strength to shred them by hand. I have often considered getting the grain mill for it but just can't decide if it would be worth buying. If I ever do get it, I will certainly weight in here on my opinion of it!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: