2 replies to this topic

#1 Em314

Em314

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

I wrote to Stop & Shop awhile back to double-check on their store-brand juices, because Hooray for being paranoid about gluten being places it has no sane reason to be!

Anyway, replies are as follows, in case it helps anyone else:

Reply #1:

My name is Tyler Zook, the Technical Services Administrator for Clement Pappas & Co., the manufacturers of Stop & Shop juices. I am writing in response to your inquiry about gluten in our juices. We cannot make any official claims that our products are gluten free, as there is currently no FDA regulation stating what exactly constitutes gluten free and we do not specifically test for gluten levels in our products. That being said, we do not manufacture any product with or around any sources of gluten and believe all our products to be gluten free. If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to reply to this email, or call me at the number below.

TYLER ZOOK | Technical Services Administrator | Clement Pappas & Co., Inc.
One Collins Drive, Suite 200 | Carneys Point, NJ 08069 | (856) 455 1000 Ext. 7255 | Fax: (856) 455 3664
TZOOK@clementpappas.com

Reply #2, after I asked about "Nature's Promise" juices (which is a Stop and Shop store brand without the Stop and Shop title on it), and about how far back I can date this info:

Nature's Promise juices are also included and are believed to be gluten free, I apologize for any confusion on that front. I checked our database of inquiries, which goes back about three years, and found several other inquiries about gluten in our products, and all the responses to those inquiries are essentially the same as the response I have given you, so the information has been current for at least the last three years. I suspect it goes back further than that, but I do not have any evidence to support that suspicion. Feel free to contact me again with any other questions.

TYLER ZOOK | Technical Services Administrator | Clement Pappas & Co., Inc.
One Collins Drive, Suite 200 | Carneys Point, NJ 08069 | (856) 455 1000 Ext. 7255 | Fax: (856) 455 3664
TZOOK@clementpappas.com

Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

Sound safe to me! Not sure there are many juices that would have gluten.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Em314

Em314

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:17 AM

Sound safe to me! Not sure there are many juices that would have gluten.

There logically shouldn't be, no.  Stop and Shop makes some blended stuff, though, which also logically shouldn't, but I was less confident on.  Apparently sometimes gluteny ingredients, including barley, can be used to sweeten some "juice drinks"  (at least according to the about.com article I got when I googled the issue to be extra-cautious).

Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: