Hi! You are not alone...I have a 6.5 year old little girl who developed tummy aches over 8 months ago. We have eliminated a TON of things and haven't found an answer yet. Here are some things that we did discover were triggers for "big" tummy aches (she has pain all day, every day though...). She did have a "KUB" xray which showed she was constipated and we have followed "protocol" very well on that front and still she has no relief from her pain.
- Ruled out gluten cross contamination (we have a dedicated gluten-free house because 3/4 of us have Celiac and we homeschool, so I know what she'd exposed to...). We confirmed this by doing another round of bloodwork
- Ruled out parasites (like Giardia) via bloodwork
- Ruled out fructose malabsorption by doing a lengthy (2 month) low fructose diet
- Ruled out SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) by doing a breath test
- Ruled out various things through an abdominal ultrasound
- Ruled out ovarian cysts through a lower abdominal ultrasound
Dietary changes we've adopted:
- No cows milk. Only goat milk products in moderation. We rely more on coconut milk these days when a recipe calls for something of the sort.
- No grains of any kind.
- No polyols (look up FODMAP) so no sorbitol and other "ol" ending sweeteners
- No avocado (a trigger food for her, interestingly high naturally in polyols)
- No nightshades (tomato is a BIG trigger for her). Between going gluten-free and nightshade free the good news is she has no muscle/joint pain.
- No legumes of any kind.
We have pretty much adopted a paleo - type diet.
Things I'm still sorting out:
- Does she have an egg sensitivity? (I did two weeks off with maybe light improvement...still deciding what to do next)
- Could she have a histamine intolerance?
- Is her gut flora ok? (We have added in sauerkraut and tons of probiotics...)
- Does she have an anatomical abnormality?
xoxo to you and your little girl...hope we both find answers soon!!!