This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Challenge, Symptoms Getting Better

allisonwilkins

allisonwilkins Newbie

I was tested 1 1/2 years ago by Enterolabs, with the following results:

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA    12 Units   (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1    0201   

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2    0602   

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ   2,1  (Subtype 2,6)

I have been off gluten (mostly) since that time but about 1 1/2 weeks ago, I decided to start eating gluten again so that I could be tested for celiac.  For the first 4-5 days, I felt horrible.  I was bloated, fatigued, head-achy, burpy, and just generally felt bad.  For the last 4-5 days, I have felt fine and have even been less constipated than usual.  Still a little burpy, but other than that, better than before I went off gluten 1 1/2 years ago.

I intend to remain on gluten for another couple of weeks and get blood tests done for celiac, but I assume that if I feel this OK, that they will be negative.  Anyone have any insight on my symptoms getting better?  Does this sound like mild gluten intolerance and there's a chance that I can eat gluten in the future without jeopardizing my health?  The main reason I decided to get tested is that I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  Thanks for any insight.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Sadly many celiacs are asymptomatic, we often don't feel the damage going on. Also, i think many of us have a quite high pain/discomfort threshold so we tend to brush off symptoms that might flatten lesser mortals other people. ;)

I have had celiac my entire life (or coincidental symptoms since early childhood) and I went through periods where it felt like my symptoms were relatively minor. I used to run half marathons and climb mountains after work, I could bench press 100lbs and ran 5km/day in my 8th month of pregnancy, I could hold down two jobs while going to school full time.... And then there were times where blowdrying my hair exhausted me, I couldn't stand up straight from stomach cramps and I carried a sweater to hold over my suddenly bloating belly to hide it, my hair was falling in disturbing ways, I had a migraine almost half the time, and in another pregnancy I could barely walk from back pain after the 5th month. I also developed a few other autoimmune diseases following some of those good times - it was like a calm before the storm.... Symptoms don't tell the whole story. Especially if the autoantibodies have cleared out of your body after eating no gluten, sometimes it takes a while to build up again. KWIM?

While many around here are not fans of Enterolab, with a positive test result and a good reaction to the gluten-free diet, as well as a noticeable decline on gluten, it sounds like something is going on.  I think it's smart of you to get tested (after being on gluten for at least 4weeks) because as you probably know, there is a high incidence of hashimoto's and celiac disease appearing together. If you are prone to one autoimmune disease, you are likely to get another.

Another thing to consider is that your symptoms could be partially related to hashi's too.  My "C" didn't clear up until my hormones where coming up a bit. Hypothyroidism also affects metabolosm so some of your gastro symptoms could be clearing up from your thyroid meds.

Good luck with your gluten challeng and your tests!

GFinDC Veteran

...  Does this sound like mild gluten intolerance and there's a chance that I can eat gluten in the future without jeopardizing my health?  ...

You should probably read these articles before you decide that gluten intolerance will not damage your health.  That really isn't something that is known yet.  It seems more logical that a condition that causes symptoms is likely to do some damage also.  But research on long term effects is lacking.

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article

https://www.celiac.com/articles/23033/1/Non-Celiac-Wheat-Sensitivity-It-Exists/Page1.html

Innate immune response in AI diseases

https://www.celiac.com/articles/23149/1/Gliadin-Triggers-Innate-Immune-Reaction-in-Celiac-and-Non-celiac-Individuals/Page1.html

Archived