16 replies to this topic

#1 LadyK

LadyK

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

I was diagnosed with celiac disease at age 10, so I've had it a fairly long time, but some of my family members, particularly my Grandma and my Aunt, act weird around me because of my special diet. For example, my Mom is planning to make gluten-free lemon bars for a church event, and my Grandma told her; "just don't tell anyone they're gluten-free." This seems ridiculous to me, because I'm not the only one in my church with celiac. Whenever I shop with her and buy something gluten free, she gives it an "eww... nasty!" look, or makes a weird comment, such as "I wouldn't be able to get that past my lips!" It seems like she thinks gluten-free food is something disgusting, and I should keep my celiac a secret. It really hurts my feelings and makes me feel self-conscious, the way she and my Aunt single me out. I don't want to feel bad about who I am. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with situations like this?

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease December 2000, at age 10.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

lolz they know it's genetic, right?  what if they have it, too?!   

my dad made fun of me for ONE SECOND because i asked him "how ya feeling, buddy?" - i think he would benefit from a gluten free diet, and he probably knows this, but he can't commit without a reason.  my cousin said "that sucks" never occurred to her that she is also related to me.  the list goes on...  don't let them bug you.  

and i see you are, what?  23?  i am 50, and i was sick for pretty much half of that.  you have such a great advantage being diagnosed and getting to feel great instead of puny all the time.  i almost posted for my facebook status this morning, when i woke up feeling awesome (and i am still amazed i can feel so good!) "if you have celiac, and you don't know it, you should find out!  and feel great!"  lolz

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 LadyK

LadyK

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

lolz they know it's genetic, right?  what if they have it, too?!   

my dad made fun of me for ONE SECOND because i asked him "how ya feeling, buddy?" - i think he would benefit from a gluten free diet, and he probably knows this, but he can't commit without a reason.  my cousin said "that sucks" never occurred to her that she is also related to me.  the list goes on...  don't let them bug you.  

and i see you are, what?  23?  i am 50, and i was sick for pretty much half of that.  you have such a great advantage being diagnosed and getting to feel great instead of puny all the time.  i almost posted for my facebook status this morning, when i woke up feeling awesome (and i am still amazed i can feel so good!) "if you have celiac, and you don't know it, you should find out!  and feel great!"  lolz

I think my Grandma actually does have it. She always gets sick after eating certain things, but she won't get tested, as she doesn't want to give up the foods she likes. I think a big reason why she treats me the way she does is for fear that she could have Celiac too.

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

our son has type 1 diabetes - when he was diagnosed, i felt terribly guilty!  like i messed him up or something (of course, i didn't) in fact, he was 19 and 950 miles away at school when he called to tell me what the doctor had told him i said "you don't have that.  go tell him he is wrong"  lolz - he does, indeed, have diabetes and it's probably from me :( from my genes.  so, i guess i feel apologetic even though it was nothing i did or didn't do.  it's a wierd feeling.  maybe it's a mom thing.  does your aunt have kids?

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

I have to say that if you were my kid, I would have told them long ago (like when you were 11), that if they didn't stop trying to make you feel bad (I would list some specific behaviors) , they would not be around you any longer. 

Now that you are an adult, you could speak up and tell them that you are sorry they are ashamed of you and your genetic disease.  That they have hurt you for the last 13 years.  That might be enough for them to stop.  If not, you can always distance yourself from them.  Don't shop with them, when they are at your mom's, stay at your house or in your room, etc.  I have a feeling that if you had cancer or diabetes these people may have acted in a similiar way.

Maybe have them read this thread?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

People don't realize they are being insensitive. They probably (honestly) don't like our alternative flours but aren't tactful enough to shut their 'cake holes' about it.  To be honest, I know that brown rices and the like often take some getting used to. When I do gluten-free baking that I need to share, I use mostly starches as that seems a bit closer to what people are used to. The other ones do take a bit of getting used to, and most people won't bother getting used to it. LOL

If they make odd comments again, you might just politely ask "why?" ... and then needle her gently on being a picky eater.   ;)

Really, I think we are a bit weird. we don't eat like most people. I think that is a fine thing too - who wants to be average.

Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#7 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

I get fed up with stupid comments 'it must be awful' (no, after over 20 years feeling awful I feel great) or 'so what DO you eat?' (err, healthy stuff, meat, fish, eggs, veg fruit) 'how do you go out?' (take my own food. It usually looks better than everyone else's).

I am sorry to hear you are being treated like this. Some people think it is ok to make personal comments about your food. I was vegetarian in the 80s, and I had the same thing then, I just wanted to eat a meal without it being an issue. When I gave up alcohol, people seemed to have to have a view, and tell me. Most of them were very defensive.

I am sure my Mum is gluten intolerant, and although she is supportive of my choices, it is made very clear I can't discuss her diet.

With the help of people here I have learned to gently stand up for myself. Being here makes me feel normal, and on a bad day I let off steam here so no one gets bored of hearing about it.

Good to have you here, hope you find the support you need
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#8 howlnmad

howlnmad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

LadyK,
Not to insult or offend anyone ie, your mom, grandmother or aunt but, to some, ignorance is bliss. Maybe you could make your grandmother a gluten-free meal without her knowing. When she co,pliments it, let her know it was gluten-free.

our son has type 1 diabetes - when he was diagnosed, i felt terribly guilty! like i messed him up or something (of course, i didn't) in fact, he was 19 and 950 miles away at school when he called to tell me what the doctor had told him i said "you don't have that. go tell him he is wrong" lolz - he does, indeed, have diabetes and it's probably from me :( from my genes. so, i guess i feel apologetic even though it was nothing i did or didn't do. it's a wierd feeling. maybe it's a mom thing. does your aunt have kids?

Maybe you should buy some new jeans ;)

#9 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Maybe you should buy some new jeans ;)

fixing them with a sledgehammer ;)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#10 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

I am told that I am obsessed. 

People just do not understand.

I was so sad, because my Mom was angry about my "pickiness" at eating.  Now, I found out she just isn't totally with it.  I imagine she is suffering from celiac too.  The moral of this is:  IF someone makes an outrageous comment, try not to take it to heart. too much. They are probably not trying to be malicious.

#11 LadyK

LadyK

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am feeling a lot better, since I put this situation into words. For years, I've tried to avoid thinking about my Celiac Disease, but it's nice to be connected to people who get what it's like!

#12 Deaminated Marcus

Deaminated Marcus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Next time they tell you not to tell anyone about your Celiacs,  retort: Don't tell anyone about your (insert name of their illness).

My aunt too is all upset I wasn't eating bread when I was gluten free.

A friend stopped inviting me to her dinner parties as if my celiacs is contagious.

Hopefully with all this gluten free awareness, newer generations will be more open minded.

#13 LadyK

LadyK

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

Next time they tell you not to tell anyone about your Celiacs,  retort: Don't tell anyone about your (insert name of their illness).

My aunt too is all upset I wasn't eating bread when I was gluten free.

A friend stopped inviting me to her dinner parties as if my celiacs is contagious.

Hopefully with all this gluten free awareness, newer generations will be more open minded.

I hope so! I'm sorry your friend stopped inviting you. Something like that happened to me, too, when I was in high school.

#14 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

I think my Grandma actually does have it. She always gets sick after eating certain things, but she won't get tested, as she doesn't want to give up the foods she likes. I think a big reason why she treats me the way she does is for fear that she could have Celiac too.

You are a very smart young woman!  The more rssistance you get within a family about Celiac Disease, the higher the likelihood that the offender has it too.  My mother is the same way....she gets pissed and very defensive if I talk about Celiac for more than a nano-second around other family members.  I get questions from others and my mother gets annoyed.

Guess what...she's a walking, talking case of Celiac but she's 80 and will not change her crappy diet.  Seeing as I can't change the way she thinks, I have just moved on.  I tell her she has a right to kill herself slowly with gluten!  ;)

#15 Kaukaukka

Kaukaukka

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Well thats just sad lol I found it hard at first to attend dinner parties at friends or family. I just decided I wouldnt go and if I had to ,I ate before I went so I could just nibble. However,  being at a dinner party and not eating, you get the looks from people.  Why are you eating, is the food not good enough for you. It puts the spotlight on you, and I hate the spotlight.  I really just prefer not going. lol  My grandma was horrible. (I wont go into details) but she died from cancer of the gut, so I am convinced she had it.  It comes from her side. Many of her kids have it (not my dad, his Thyroid is toast though)

I am glad there is a place to come to, even after 8 years, I still learn so much. 

HUGS LadyK and the rest of you.

REBECCA

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: