2 replies to this topic

#1 allisonwilkins

allisonwilkins

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have been gluten free for over a year and am currently doing a gluten challenge for blood tests.  I had gene tests done for myself and both my teenagers and we all show 3 positive gene alleles for gluten sensitivity.  My children do not have any symptoms at this time.

I plan on going back on a gluten free diet after the blood tests no matter what, but my children are resisting.  I am looking for some good information to pass along to them to use as they get older and are no longer under my dietary control as to what they can expect as far as gluten sensitivity, odds of celiac, etc.   Can someone give me insight as to what these tests mean?

Thank you.

Our results are:

Myself:

DQA1:  0501 (HLA-DQ2)  Positive

DQB1:  0201 (HLA-DQ2)  Positive

DQB1:  0602 (HLA-DQ1)  Positive

Both kids:

DQA1:  0301 (HLA-DQ8)  Positive

DQB1:  0302 (HLA-DQ8)  Positive

DQB1:  0602  (HLA-DQ1)  Positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

I personally do not know much about genetic testing.  As I understand it, a positive gene test only means that you have some of the genes often seen in celiacs but it is no garuntee that you will develop celiac disease, or if you or your children will. As you know, to find out if you have celiac disease you need to have the blood tests and/or the endoscopy done. they are occassionally a false negative but it isn't all that common, especially if you eat gluten for the month or two prior to testing, and you have many tests run. (It is VERY rare to have all tests show up positive so a variety of tests -both IgA and IgG - is often best).

Good luck! And good luck with the kids... I'm almost dreading when mine are old enough to start deciding things for themslevs...

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 nora_n

nora_n

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hi, there are good charts at wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HLA_DQ

Basics: people have two beta chains and two alpha chains. 

Even having half a DQ2,5 gene, 05* increases the risk for celiac just as an example. You have DQ2,5 and DQ6 (which was called DQ1 before, because DQ5 and DQ6 have 01* in the alpha chain and they could not discriminate between them)

Children: Here we have DQ8 and DQ6. They inherited your DQ6 and fatherĀ“s DQ8.

(strange with DQ1, usually labs are not looking for it, so either they looked for it for some other reason (looking for diabetes genes or whatever) or they just reported it.)

DQ8 is the other official celiac gene, the most common one is DQ2,5 , the one you have one copy of.

DQ8 and risk for celiac: the risk for developing celiac is a bit less than with DQ2. They still should be tested every two or three years with the ordinary blood tests for celiac.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: