4 replies to this topic

#1 aallenba

aallenba

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

I was diagnosed with celiac about 1.5 years ago and have been feeling a lot better after about 6-8 months of being gluten-free. I still feel like I have times where I am not 100%. I've had blood work done twice over the past 2 months and both times my white blood cells were low. My doctor said I could go to a hematologist if I wanted but since I am not really having any "problems" it isn't something that she would worry about since it's low but not really low (i.e 3.6 when the normal range is 4-10).

Has anyone else experienced this with celiac? Is this normal?  I haven't discussed this with my gastro doctor.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

I too  present  with low  white  blood  cells. This  I'm told  happens  sometimes  to  us  with autoimmune  disorders

#3 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

That was one of my first symptoms. Also "slightly" low like yours. I'm getting a new blood count done this week, so I'll see if it's any better after 9 months gluten-free.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

Low white cell counts are normal for those with AI diseases, especially if you have multiple diseases.  My white cell count is always in the low 2's but I never worry about it because I have had the problem my whole life and I do not get sick that much at all.  That would be the only reason to be more proactive about it.....if you get sick often.  After 8 years gluten free, there really hasn't been much of a change.  It's extremely low on my list of worries and that list is very short......life is too short to get overly worried about anything.

#5 aallenba

aallenba

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Thank you for the responses. I won't worry about it unless I start having other problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: