Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

I Need A Safe Rice. Reacting To Lundberg Time, And Time Again.

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#16 elocin71

elocin71

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

I have been experiencing severe symptoms throughout the week.  I'll wake up, have a small amount of energy, eat rice, and literally pass out/fall asleep sitting up.  It's almost like I'm being hit by a tranquilizer and this is one of the symptoms I get to something I shouldn't be eating.  However, rice has no salicylates, and I'm rinsing it well, it isn't sulphited, so... I don't understand why I'm reacting to it.  I have been "awake" less than 5 hours a day ever since I began trialing this rice.  It was DEFINITELY getting me, and getting me good.

when i was looking for a gluten-free protein shake for my daughters, my naturopath had two to offer me:  one rice-based and one bean-based.  she said she had to switch to the bean-based because when she would drink the rice one, should would get so sleepy that she would almost fall asleep in her chair while she was with patients.  i don't think she explained to me the reason for it, only that she couldn't tolerate it.  so maybe it's not a contamination issue?  i wonder if it's a blood-sugar issue as white rice is a 89/100.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

I also think it could be either a blood-sugar issue, or just your body not being able to handle that much rice. If you're used to just eating potatoes (and you should be eating more than just potatoes!), then your gut might not be able to handle all the rice, regardless of any contamination issues. I know I can't handle too much rice at once without problems.

However, if you want to avoid contamination, imported thai jasmine might be best, though I've been told that basmati is easier to digest. I buy giant 10kg bags of rice for cheap at the asian grocery and it lasts a few months, and have never had contamination issues. Of course, always rinse it.

(Lundberg and other US-grown rice also has the risk of arsenic contamination from the soil, so I've been avoiding it even though I'd prefer to buy non-imported rice. Don't know the long-term health effects of that yet).

Eat veggies and protein with your rice, whatever you can handle.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#18 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

My functional medicine nurse thought that my problems with rice may stem from yeast problems.

#19 minnasagi

minnasagi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

I recently started ordering rice (and beans) online from Shiloh Farms, on the recommendation of Jane Anderson, About Celiac (at about.com). It is Certified Gluten Free, and thus less than 10 ppm. (For what it's worth, I also order my flours and other grains from Nuts.com, or the same reason--Certified Gluten Free. It's expensive, but less expensive than losing a day or more to being glutened, and less expensive than processed food..)

#20 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

I recently started ordering rice (and beans) online from Shiloh Farms, on the recommendation of Jane Anderson, About Celiac (at about.com). It is Certified Gluten Free, and thus less than 10 ppm. (For what it's worth, I also order my flours and other grains from Nuts.com, or the same reason--Certified Gluten Free. It's expensive, but less expensive than losing a day or more to being glutened, and less expensive than processed food..)

Certified gluten free only needs to be to 20 ppm , in the US, when the law goes into effect. So, my point is, you can't be sure they are testing at less than 10 ppm without asking. Many do use lower tests.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 minnasagi

minnasagi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Certified gluten free only needs to be to 20 ppm , in the US, when the law goes into effect. So, my point is, you can't be sure they are testing at less than 10 ppm without asking. Many do use lower tests.

By "Certified Gluten Free," I don't mean labeled gluten free. Some companies go out of their way to get products tested and certified by the Gluten Free Certification Organization, part of the Gluten Intolerance Group. Those products test at less than 10 ppm--or they don't get the certification. 

Things that are *labeled* gluten free now have no accountability, but will--as you point out--next year, when the labelling law goes into effect; at that point, anything simply labelled gluten-free will need to be 20 ppm or less. Unfortunately, for many on this forum, 20 ppm doesn't do the trick

. I recommend the Gluten Free Certification website to folks (http://www.gluten.ne...on-organization), with the caveat that its search function isn't very helpful now as they re-construct it. (There was a time when you could find the individual products that were certified. Having brand names--all that they offer now--isn't that useful, because those brands often make other products that are not gluten free, or gluten free enough for certification.) On products you find in the store or online, however, anything that has the gluten-free in a circle is either certified, or baldly misrepresenting itself. And they watch out for forgeries and warn of them on their website.

#22 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:13 AM

Thank you for clearing up which certification/labeling of gluten-free you are talking about.  We seem to have various versions of gluten free labeling in the US right now so not everything is tested to 10 ppm. Many members will post that something is certified gluten free but not be referring to the same agency you are.  Thus, my comment that they shouldn't assume a certain level of testing without further looking into it.

Just checked a few items I have.  I see the little gluten-free in the circle , one says "Certified gluten free" but just a G and F - no circle, a certified gluten-free with a "no wheat" symbol, and one that says tested gluten free.  So you can see why people might be confused at what levels foods are tested.  I would have to email most of them to see what the testing levels are.  :blink:

Edited by kareng, 18 November 2013 - 06:46 AM.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#23 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

This would make a good topic in the gluten free labeling section.  We could link to different agencies and companies and their testing policies.  Might be very helpful, especially for New members.  

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: