#1 Maxi

Maxi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share this since I found very little posted on line about this. I was using McCormick spices and most people here feel they are safe. I was regularly getting mystery glutenized which was really frustrating because I generally cook all my food and could not figure out where it was coming from. I decided to swap out my entire spice rack for a gluten free version. I bought Spicely brand on amazon which is certified gluten-free and listed as made in a non shared facility. I also started mincing my own fresh garlic. I have to tell you that I feel 100% better!  I still use the Mccormick whole pepper corns and it's likely that only some of the Mccormick spices was causeing me a problem but it seemed too big of a task for me to eliminate one at a time. I tend to be very sensitive so I'm sure many people tolerate the McCormick ones without a problem but for anyone getting mystery glutenized at home I wanted to share this story since it's made such a big difference for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

I also had a problem with those spices.  I am one of those super sensitives though.

#3 durrsakja

durrsakja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

This is so helpful. I think it's best to eliminate all the gluten we can :)

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Many many of us use McCormicks spices with great success.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

I am one of them.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

Me too.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

I use McCormick's also and I am very, very sensitive to small amounts of gluten so if there were any gluten in McCormick's, I'd get sick.  There is no gluten in McCormick's spices so the reaction was most likely caused by something else.  Unless you can absolutely prove there is gluten in them, I wouldn't be so fast to brand McCormick's as not safe. Reactions can be from any number of things.

#8 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

McCormick's whole, one ingredient spices are all gluten free, but my husband called them recently (researching an unexplained glutening) and they told him that they do make products on shared equipment, so it's possible to get some contamination.  That said, I doubt that the McCormick spices caused my glutening, because we've been using them for awhile with no apparent problem, and the amount of any one spice used in a recipe is pretty low, so even if there was some gluten contamination it would be a tiny, tiny amount in the dish as a whole. 

#9 Maxi

Maxi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

I'm glad many people use them without any problems. Just sharing my experience because I feel so much better since I stopped using them. I do tend to use a lot of spice in my cooking which could make a difference in my experience. Since I swtiched my spice line I've used the same amounts of spices without any problems. Also that is the only thing I changed. I'm sure it's not their whole line that was bothering me but I thought it was too complicated for me to eliminate each one. I did use some combined spices but I had problems when I used certain straight spices alone also. I'm not trying to brand them as unsafe, only sharing my experience in case anyone else is having a similar issue.

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

. Just sharing my experience

And we are sharing our experiences with them, too.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#11 Ciel121

Ciel121

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Does anyone use McCormick spices? I've found the most difficult thing about being gluten-free is finding spices that are. I used to use Simply Organic till I called them and found they are not gluten-free, but apparently will be certified gluten-free soon. McCormick is not certified, but their company told me they use separate equipment for gluten-free spices and that they are always marked. Hmmm...but when I use their curry powder I get sick. At least I think it's from the curry powder. It drives me insane how you can never tell...

#12 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

McCormicks is a good company that will clearly list any form of gluten.  I, have used it for years without issue.

Curry is a blend of spices, mostly coriander, turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, and red pepper.  Perhaps you have an issue with one of the added spices. but I would not suspect gluten.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#13 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

I use McCormicks.  Perhaps it is one of the ingredients in the curry powder, not gluten?

LTES

#14 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Is there anything else that you always use when you use the curry powder? If not, I would also highly suspect one of the spices.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#15 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

I have a problem with their curry powder, too. I haven't tried anyone else's yet. But yes, I'm wondering if it's just the curry powder. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: