14 replies to this topic

#1 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

I found out today late in the day that Sprouts had Glutino Genisus bread on special for 2.99 per loaf -- it was expiring so I sent a son down to buy as many loaves as he could.

I usually stock up on Udi's, Canyon Bakehouse and Glutino whenever they are on special -- especially Udi's and Glutino as they are purchased frozen -- so it really doesn't matter when we buy it.

Got me thinking -- perhaps a thread were we can post if we see a very good deal on this gluten-free staple???

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

That is a good deal!

I've been getting mine for a steal at Costco. I pay $7.99 for two loaves. I forget what brand but I'll look the next time I'm in the kitchen. It is a beautiful brown loaf of bread covered in sunflower seeds and with a pretty low carb count from what I am used to and with a ton of fiber. I also can't get over having preservative free bread in my pantry that I can leave there for months on end!

Oh, I just found it. It is from the Essential Baking Company.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

That is a good deal!

I've been getting mine for a steal at Costco. I pay $7.99 for two loaves. I forget what brand but I'll look the next time I'm in the kitchen. It is a beautiful brown loaf of bread covered in sunflower seeds and with a pretty low carb count from what I am used to and with a ton of fiber. I also can't get over having preservative free bread in my pantry that I can leave there for months on end!

Oh, I just found it. It is from the Essential Baking Company.

Months on end? What bread is that? I remember back when i could have such things it would last... maybe a week or so before the mold would claim it.

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

http://essentialbaki...first-delivery/

I get the super seeded multi-grain, because that is what I have available to me in the store. Also, I like getting brown bread. Of course, I also like cheap bread! Having it preservative free though just is 500 kinds of awesome for me.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

I wish our Costco had gluten free bread, but they don't. :( I scored a loaf of Rudi's cinnamon raisin bread with their $2 coupon a couple of months ago, while the bread was on sale at our natural foods store for $3.99. They just had Udi's on sale for that too, but I didn't have any coupons. I like Udi's better as I find it easier to get the slices apart when it's frozen, and it thaws super quick on the counter. Trader Joe's has it for $4.99 sold on the shelf and Meijer has it for $5.39 sold frozen. I usually buy at those places. TJ's has the multigrain buns for $3.99 a pack.

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

We're supposed to be getting a TJ's in the future. I roll my eyes a little at the when though. Could be months, all I know now is the shopping center they'll be at.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

I just bought my first (rudis?) bread and now not sure how long it will keep?  Says nothing on the packaging -- anyone know?

#8 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

costco  carries  Rudi"s  gluten-free  bread  in the  freezer section.

I like  to  freeze  gluten-free bread  if  I'm not  going  to use  it  within  a couple  days.....I  always  put  a  sheet of  wax  paper  between slices  so I  can  take  out  only  what  I  can use at  once.....saves  a  bunch  of  dollars  by  not  wasting  a  whole loaf  of  bread  that  doesn't  get used up....

#9 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

Udi's ranges from 4.99 to 5.69 regularly here -- sprouts has their gluten-free jubilee ever few months with 25% all gluten-free items and Vons has Udi's on sale for $3.99 occasionally -- I stock my along with my folks extra freezer when on sale as between my hubby, teens and their friends we go through 2-3 loaves per week.

I will continue to update when I see current good deals in this corner of the states :)

Love the Udi's and Rudi's coupons when I can get them -- there was a gluten-free fair here about a month ago and I stocked up -- I save them for the gluten-free Jubilee and double down ;)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#10 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

I keep all my gluten-free bread in my big freezer (one of the best investments I've ever made!).  If it's not on sale, i ask the retailer (Sprout's in CA)  for a case of the bread and I get a 15% discount.  I usually have to wait a few days.  We prefer Udi's or Rudi's.  

I've always been a baker, making all my own bread, etc., but bought gluten-free bread for my hubby for 12 years.  Now I'm gluten-free too (diagnosed a month ago).  Will be attempting bread soon (when I'm feeling better).  I confess that I just pulled out a batch of gluten-free chocolate chip cookies from the oven this morning before it gets too hot (95 today in LA!)  Yum!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

I confess that I just pulled out a batch of gluten-free chocolate chip cookies from the oven this morning before it gets too hot (95 today in LA!)  Yum!

yummmmmm!  ^ now i want cookies :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

I keep all my gluten-free bread in my big freezer (one of the best investments I've ever made!).  If it's not on sale, i ask the retailer (Sprout's in CA)  for a case of the bread and I get a 15% discount.  I usually have to wait a few days.  We prefer Udi's or Rudi's.  

I've always been a baker, making all my own bread, etc., but bought gluten-free bread for my hubby for 12 years.  Now I'm gluten-free too (diagnosed a month ago).  Will be attempting bread soon (when I'm feeling better).  I confess that I just pulled out a batch of gluten-free chocolate chip cookies from the oven this morning before it gets too hot (95 today in LA!)  Yum!

Really good point -- Daughter gets 15% off cases of her gluten free bread at Oliver's Market -- they are only in Santa Rosa -- wish we had them down here!!!  Never thought to ask Sprout's -- will do -- thanks!!!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#13 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

I never thought of bread by the case either! I always just looked for it on sale. I buy everything else in bulk. My husband about died trying to pour a 25 pound bag of Bob's corn starch into a 5 gallon bucket... but it was such a good deal!

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#14 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Late to the party with this one, but for anyone in Utah near a Harmon's I picked up Udi's bagels tonight for $3.99. The bread was in the same freezer in an endcap so I think it was also on sale, I didn't note the price though. I actually had a coupon for $2 off an Udi's item so I got my bagels for $1.99! I was bouncing all the way to the front of the store, my husband told me a few times to calm down. :lol:

ETA: idk how long this sale lasts, usually their sales are Mon-Sun but I can't find this listed on their website at all on the weekly or monthly sale.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#15 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

The most expensive I have seen thus far was $10 at a farmer's market for one 8x4 loaf. Yikes!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: