This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Loss Of Courage

Dozey

Dozey Apprentice

Could this illness rob you of character, determination and courage? I haven't always been this way but this last year and a half seems to have taken all those qualities from me. In the past I have been ice skating, horse riding, ski ing and even abseiled down a quarry. I have driven everywhere and towed a caravan, with none of this anxiety. Now I seem to feel afraid about doing anything.

Jo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

In short?

Open Original Shared Link

Before the worst of it hit me several years ago I was very much a different person. I eventually became housebound because of a variety of circumstances. In short, it is because this stupid disease took too much from me. I am finally taking back. I have back now what it takes to do things for myself and leave the house alone, even go to doctor's appointments alone. It may be a hell of a battle, but it is for sure worth fighting.

Dozey Apprentice

That made me smile. Thank you. I have been housebound for a few months but getting out a bit now, as long as I have someone with me and don't go too far. Sometimes it seems immpossible to get back to how I used to be.

Jo

Adalaide Mentor

It isn't impossible, merely daunting. I am also an avid My Little Pony fan, and could cite what feels like a billion reasons why the show is now obviously made for adults and nerds, not for 8 year old girls. There really is nothing in quite like ponies to bring a smile. :D

Dozey Apprentice

Hi Adalaide. Thank you for the encouragement. I have not yet been diagnosed Celiac, but something is not right with me. I love all animals, but horses and ponies are beautiful, that's a fact.

Jo

notme Experienced

i have been feeling braver lately - my brother moved nearby and we are going camping over memorial day weekend.  we were talking about things to keep the kids occupied and one of his suggestions was badminton.  he told my husband:  she was so good, and so aggressive when we were younger.  and I WAS!  nowadays, i can't even throw or catch a ball.  don't have the desire to try.  but when he was talking about the badminton, Old Me wanted to whip his a$$ just for a second.  Old Me is still in there, i hope to find a little more of her every day.  i hope you find your answers, jo :)  

Dozey Apprentice

i have been feeling braver lately - my brother moved nearby and we are going camping over memorial day weekend.  we were talking about things to keep the kids occupied and one of his suggestions was badminton.  he told my husband:  she was so good, and so aggressive when we were younger.  and I WAS!  nowadays, i can't even throw or catch a ball.  don't have the desire to try.  but when he was talking about the badminton, Old Me wanted to whip his a$$ just for a second.  Old Me is still in there, i hope to find a little more of her every day.  i hope you find your answers, jo :)

Thanks Ariene. That's just how I feel, no energy and no desire. A bit of crafting interest is creeping back, but not like I used to be. I hope you ger back to yourself soon.

Jo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Hi There Jo!!!

Yes....I lost those things along with a thriving career over the past fourteen years -- others have lost as much or more.

Here is the good news -- you can get things back -- a little at a time that small desire to do a bit of crafting or wanting to walk out the front door -- will happen. 

Take it slow - finish all the necessary testing -- then remove gluten -- then be patient -- I was not born patient - far from it -- Celiac taught me patience -- even more good -- those of us that lost much....greatly appreciate the little stuff and I for one enjoy finding joy in all the little stuff!

Hang in there :)

EmiPark210 Contributor

I noticed I got really insecure when I continually eat gluten, to the level where I can now understand why I stayed in an emotionally abusive relationship for 3 years. Celiac's can mess with more than just your gut. Well, the messing with your gut can mess with your mind. The types of losses in courage and determination can be associated with depression, which (according to this article: Open Original Shared Link) is over 4 times more likely for people with celiac disease. This is because over 90% of our serotonin is produced by the gut (Open Original Shared Link). If you listen to or read any anti-depressant medication advertisement, they mention dopamine and serotonin as being key to "fixing" depression. But if your gut is damaged, you can't absorb nutrients or produce serotonin --> depressive symptoms. The good thing is, that if your loss of determination is caused by a nutrient/hormone imbalance from celiac's then once your body heals on the gluten free diet, you should go back to what you thought of as normal. I've found it really helpful to have people to talk to about all of the issues as well. 

(Full disclosure, I do study psychology and have a personal interest in the biological basis for pathologies, but I haven't done any personal research on these topics. I've cited my sources so feel free to take a look and form your own opinions)

Dozey Apprentice

Hi There Jo!!!

Yes....I lost those things along with a thriving career over the past fourteen years -- others have lost as much or more.

Here is the good news -- you can get things back -- a little at a time that small desire to do a bit of crafting or wanting to walk out the front door -- will happen. 

Take it slow - finish all the necessary testing -- then remove gluten -- then be patient -- I was not born patient - far from it -- Celiac taught me patience -- even more good -- those of us that lost much....greatly appreciate the little stuff and I for one enjoy finding joy in all the little stuff!

Hang in there :)

Hi Lisa and thank you.

It seems odd to think food can cause so much trouble, especially the psychological aspects. I was begining to think I was going mad till I read others suffer the same things.

Jo

Dozey Apprentice

I noticed I got really insecure when I continually eat gluten, to the level where I can now understand why I stayed in an emotionally abusive relationship for 3 years. Celiac's can mess with more than just your gut. Well, the messing with your gut can mess with your mind. The types of losses in courage and determination can be associated with depression, which (according to this article: Open Original Shared Link) is over 4 times more likely for people with celiac disease. This is because over 90% of our serotonin is produced by the gut (Open Original Shared Link). If you listen to or read any anti-depressant medication advertisement, they mention dopamine and serotonin as being key to "fixing" depression. But if your gut is damaged, you can't absorb nutrients or produce serotonin --> depressive symptoms. The good thing is, that if your loss of determination is caused by a nutrient/hormone imbalance from celiac's then once your body heals on the gluten free diet, you should go back to what you thought of as normal. I've found it really helpful to have people to talk to about all of the issues as well. I

(Full disclosure, I do study psychology and have a personal interest in the biological basis for pathologies, but I haven't done any personal research on these topics. I've cited my sources so feel free to take a look and form your own opinions)

Thank you EmiPark. It is good to be able to discuss your fears etc with people who understand. I have been feeling a bit low just lately and getting it all out on here helps a lot. I am just expecting to be told the blood test is negative.

Jo

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Dozey,

Celiac disease and malabsorption can cause lots of different mental symptoms.  This thread talks about some of them.

Short temper thread
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/34917-anger-quick-temper-depression/

Dozey Apprentice

Hi Dozey,

Celiac disease and malabsorption can cause lots of different mental symptoms.  This thread talks about some of them.

Short temper thread

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/34917-anger-quick-temper-depression/

Thanks again, I'll have a look.

Jo

Archived