5 replies to this topic

#1 LadyK

LadyK

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

I tried some of those soft drink mixes that come in a tube, and you pour it in your water bottle and shake it up. When I tried the red kind, I experienced symptoms that I would associate with eating gluten, mainly abdominal pain. Does anyone else react to red food dye? I'm thinking maybe it isn't gluten-free.

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease December 2000, at age 10.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

There is no  reason red dye is not gluten free.  Sometimes people, with or without Celiac, have found they have a reaction to certain color dyes.  Is there anything different about the red one other than dye?  Did they use a different sugar substitute?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Red dye is often made of things that aren't good for you unless it is food based (such as strawberry, tomato, or beets). I've heard of it being made from bugs.

Personally, I'm allergic to it. It does all sorts of weird things to my tongue (loss of taste, pain, etc).

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

You can be allergic to dye.  But it is also possible that there was gluten in your mix.  I don't personally know of any that contain gluten that are on the market now, but some years back there  was a sugar free fruit drink that wasn't gluten free.  That drink is still on the market today but it is now gluten free.  I remember buying the gluteny ones for cheap.  Gluten isn't an issue for me.  What was the brand of the drink mix?  It is also possible that you have issues with whatever sweetener that is in the mix.

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

I recommend avoiding all artificial colors and flavors.  They just are not food, so why eat them?

#6 ValeriaZ

ValeriaZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

Red40 is a known allergen and a very bad one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: