4 replies to this topic

#1 durrsakja

durrsakja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

I have been gluten free for a little over three months now and the last two months I have noticed constant stomach / intestinal growling, mild pain and discomfort especially in the evening. Sometimes i even get heartburn type symptoms.I am being as gluten free as I can, taking digestive enzymes, cut dairy and a few more foods that I was allergic to. Is this normal? should I expect this to go away with time? So frustrating :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

I suggest that you keep a food/symptom journal.  Change what you eat a bit and see if it gets any better or worse.  You can try eating more of something for a few days and see if it gets worse.  You can try not eating something for a few days and see if it gets better.  A week works better than just a few days, but it depends on your patience and discipline levels.  You might just need more time, or there might be something in your diet that is bothering you.

My stomach isn't feeling too good today either.  I tried something new yesterday.  That's one more thing for my husband to finish up for me.

I hope you feel better soon.

#3 durrsakja

durrsakja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Thank you dilettantesteph. I am keeping a food journal for allergies and am on a rotation diet for the most part. But maybe it is a food group so will try eliminating more. Hope you feel better too.

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thanks, I'm almost all better already.  

It can help to write down the source of the thing that you are eating and not just what it is.  I have found that sometimes one is source is good and another isn't.

#5 Ksee

Ksee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

I have to admit, I'm new to gluten symptoms myself and have only been off known foods for a little over a week now. I have a lot less pain than I used to, and fewer other symptoms, but I've noticed times when discomfort returns.

I have been wondering this morning if I should make more changes and something occurred to me. Of course others need to add their experience to my suspicions:

I was thinking about any other continued injury or irritation like say kicking a wall until my toes went bloody day after day. Of course that would make my foot hurt like heck with pain getting continually worse but at some point the nerves in my foot would be so traumatized they would go numb.

Now when I stopped kicking the wall and started taking care of the foot, the nerve endings would return to causing pain as swelling decreased and healing allowed nerve sensations to my brain again. I'm not sure and I think time will tell. The other Celiac symptoms indicate to me that nervous control of the gut is affected, at least partially.

The reason I am suspicious of this is continued decrease of other symptoms and overall general improvement. If the pain returned with bloating, n/v/d, or other symptoms I would think I had eaten something by mistake but that hasn't happened. I would like to hear what other people think of this idea?

In the absence of a return to other symptoms, can gut pain indicate healing and a return to normal function? ***things that make me go "hhhmmm....?" :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: