25 replies to this topic

#1 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

My food issues began several years ago.  I am a self-diagnosed celiac.  I have been tested for allergies and have none. I first discovered gluten was a problem a few years ago then discovered soy, casien, corn, chicken, coffee and even peanuts made me sick as well.  The best part is that I feel the best I've ever felt. I know I am finding my health again and I feel normal most of the time.  I've learned how to find/cook really well and am happy most of the time. 

Here is where I need some help:  I really miss eating in restaurants but I am terrified of doing so.  Corn is in EVERYTHING.  I can tolerate very small amounts (talking vitamins) but I have trouble with things like iodized salt.  I am very scared to eat out but I really miss it.  I am 28 and live in Chicago.  Best city for food ever!  I am very happy but it feels fairly isolating not to be able to go out. 

How do those of you with similar intolerances do it?  Do I just need to wait a couple years for my gut to heal?  Do you bring your own food? 

I'm feeling hopeful enough to try new things.  Help me figure it out? 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

As a self diagnosed gluten intolerant, you may have settled your system, if you have been gluten free for a couple of years.  Perhaps you can slowly reintroduce one product at a time.  You might start with small amounts of corn and gradually increase the amount over a period of time, and see how you feel.

You mentioned that you have a problem with iodized salt.  Did/Do  you have skin issues?

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

Corn is in EVERYTHING.  I can tolerate very small amounts (talking vitamins) but I have trouble with things like iodized salt.

Maybe I am missing something, but what makes you think that salt, iodized or not, contains corn?
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

As a self diagnosed gluten intolerant, you may have settled your system, if you have been gluten free for a couple of years.  Perhaps you can slowly reintroduce one product at a time.  You might start with small amounts of corn and gradually increase the amount over a period of time, and see how you feel.

You mentioned that you have a problem with iodized salt.  Did/Do  you have skin issues?

I have some pretty itchy skin but most of my issues are gastro.  I react to iodized salt due to corn as the binding agent. I have only been STRICTLY gluten free for about a year or so.  I thought I was gluten free, oh the lessons we learn.  So, I know I'm still healing. 

#5 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

Maybe I am missing something, but what makes you think that salt, iodized or not, contains corn?

Iodized salt contains corn.  Its a binding agent. Salt in the US has iodine added to it.  That means corn too.    I can hav things with sea salt because they are not iodized.  Corn is in LOTS of things.  It just depends on how reactive you are.  I personally can't even tolerate distilled vinegar or liquors made from corn. Citric acid (usually made from corn) is another common problem. 

#6 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Again,  I know how to avoid the foods at home.  Anyone with similar issues that has figured out how to eat in a restaurant?  Honestly, corn has been harder to avoid than gluten.  The combo....makes restaurant eating pretty difficult.  I'd really appreciate anyone's ideas on how to handle it. 

#7 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

I know there are forums for corn sensitive people, maybe they have a better idea of how to avoid corn in a restaurant?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

I have some pretty itchy skin but most of my issues are gastro.  I react to iodized salt due to corn as the binding agent. I have only been STRICTLY gluten free for about a year or so.  I thought I was gluten free, oh the lessons we learn.  So, I know I'm still healing. 

No, corn is not in iodized salt.  What you may be reacting to is the iodine in the salt.  Those people with the skin issue call  DH ( - ugg I have to spell it........dermetitus hepetiphomis) have itchy skin, only remedied by the removal of gluten.

(I am a lousy speller, and have lost my spellcheck - I'm useless :blink: )

To avoid everything you need, the only suggestion I have is to order a dry salad and bring your own dressing.

Best of luck to you.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#9 Minstinguette

Minstinguette

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

I am intolerant to gluten, corn and dairy. I don't know if it helps but I regularly eat out at indian, thai or vietnamese restaurants. Indian is a good pick because the dishes "normally" don't contain any wheat or corn and they often have vegan options (sometimes I ask to have meat added to a vegan spinach stew for example). I have reacted only once while eating out  in the last year or so (my guess is coconut milk contained xantham gum). I try to pick nicer restaurants and always ask questions. I also eat sushi with no problem (no eel, no fish eggs) or just order some grilled meat/ fish with steamed veggies, or any safe side. You might also try African (West African) food if there's any where you live.

Good luck! 

Intolerant to gluten, corn and dairy
Gluten free since 2010

Hashimoto's

#10 AnnJay

AnnJay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

I am intolerant to gluten, dairy, soy, corn, tomatoes, peppers, and now I think mushrooms. Sigh.

Eating out IS the hardest part. I can eat sushi if served just rice, fish, and lemon slices. I have to stay away from the reconstituted wasabi (maybe corn?) but the ginger is OK. There is a steamed fish dish at a local Thai restaurant I can eat. At Maria's Italian Kitchen (chain) they have a low carb, gluten free meno that works for me, generally chicken and veggies cooked in olive oil with garlic. But not sure if they are in Chicago or not.

There is a restaurant in Lake View that is ENTIRELY gluten free. It is called Senza and I ate there with some friends (gluten lovers) and we ll thoroughly enjoyed our meals. When I called to make a res I notified them if my intolerances. Our server kindly let me know what items I could order and avoid The List. It was great.

Any restaurant that uses brand sauces is out, like Cheesecake Factory. You want to find more chef cooked food.

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

Corn is not an issue for me but I do have mulitple food allergies.  I am getting to the point where I hate dining out because my choices are so limited.  I can eat some Mexican food but that probably wouldn't work well for you with the corn thing.  But what I order at other places are a plain hamburger patty, plain baked potato, maybe French fries or hash browns, plain salad, fresh fruit.  I can also do canned fruit or applesauce but I can't say for sure that there wouldn't be HFCS in there.

Your best bet is to find a local place that cooks from scratch.  Those places are getting harder to find, I know.  Scan the menu and look for things that might be options or to give you an idea of ingredients they would have in the kitchen.  Then give them a list of what you can't have and see what they can do for you.  I often have to order modified things from the menu or things that aren't on the menu.  One place would give me hummus, olives and raw veggies.  Hummus might not work for you because it can (but IMO shouldn't) have soybean oil in it.

#12 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

No, corn is not in iodized salt.  What you may be reacting to is the iodine in the salt.  Those people with the skin issue call  DH ( - ugg I have to spell it........dermetitus hepetiphomis) have itchy skin, only remedied by the removal of gluten.

(I am a lousy speller, and have lost my spellcheck - I'm useless :blink: )

To avoid everything you need, the only suggestion I have is to order a dry salad and bring your own dressing.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks so much. I have to say, with my luck, perhaps I am reacting to both.  I appreciate the recommendation on the salad  :)

#13 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Corn is not an issue for me but I do have mulitple food allergies.  I am getting to the point where I hate dining out because my choices are so limited.  I can eat some Mexican food but that probably wouldn't work well for you with the corn thing.  But what I order at other places are a plain hamburger patty, plain baked potato, maybe French fries or hash browns, plain salad, fresh fruit.  I can also do canned fruit or applesauce but I can't say for sure that there wouldn't be HFCS in there.

Your best bet is to find a local place that cooks from scratch.  Those places are getting harder to find, I know.  Scan the menu and look for things that might be options or to give you an idea of ingredients they would have in the kitchen.  Then give them a list of what you can't have and see what they can do for you.  I often have to order modified things from the menu or things that aren't on the menu.  One place would give me hummus, olives and raw veggies.  Hummus might not work for you because it can (but IMO shouldn't) have soybean oil in it.

Thanks!  That actually sounds really helpful.  I suppose its the idea of trying to explain all of this to a server or chef.  A list is a great idea!

#14 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

I am intolerant to gluten, corn and dairy. I don't know if it helps but I regularly eat out at indian, thai or vietnamese restaurants. Indian is a good pick because the dishes "normally" don't contain any wheat or corn and they often have vegan options (sometimes I ask to have meat added to a vegan spinach stew for example). I have reacted only once while eating out  in the last year or so (my guess is coconut milk contained xantham gum). I try to pick nicer restaurants and always ask questions. I also eat sushi with no problem (no eel, no fish eggs) or just order some grilled meat/ fish with steamed veggies, or any safe side. You might also try African (West African) food if there's any where you live.

Good luck! 

Thank you!  I had been thinking about more ethnic foods (Chicago is a jackpot there). I was actually getting gutsy enough to think about Indian food this weekend but thought I'd hop on here first. You confirmed my confidence!  Sushi too huh?  Alright, I'm going in!

#15 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:44 AM

OK, you guys are awesome!  Sounds like ethnic restaurants and local chef's are the way to go.  I'm nervous but I'm going to try it out!  I'll check in and let you know how it goes.  Thanks so much for the ideas everyone!  Keep em coming!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: