7 replies to this topic

#1 MdkIrish

MdkIrish

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

Just had my follow up EGD yesterday,good news was my duodenum has healed no ulcers. But still experiencing esophagitis. Started on Carafate along with the Protonics I was taking. I drink a significant amount of coffee in the morning and diet pop. I also have a great deal of stress in my life besides the Celiac diagnosis. Do you think the caffeine could be a real issue with not healing well? I'm learning how unhealthy any kind of pop is for your body. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 codemansmom

codemansmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Just had my follow up EGD yesterday,good news was my duodenum has healed no ulcers. But still experiencing esophagitis. Started on Carafate along with the Protonics I was taking. I drink a significant amount of coffee in the morning and diet pop. I also have a great deal of stress in my life besides the Celiac diagnosis. Do you think the caffeine could be a real issue with not healing well? I'm learning how unhealthy any kind of pop is for your body. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Hello! My son has Celiac and GERD/Reflux and my father-in-law has a severe case of GERD as well. My father-in-law has completely eliminated coffee (and tea) as well as soda from his diet and he is now able to eat things that he used to never be able to eat. So it's clear that some healing did indeed take place upon eliminating those 2 items. All of the reading I've done on GERD states that coffee and soda are big no-no's. I know it's hard to give them up, but as long as you keep agitating your esophagus, you're healing will be delayed. I heard a product called DGL helps people heal. I just ordered a bottle for my son last night. Crossing my fingers b/c he is in a lot of pain. Good luck!

Mommy of 6 year old w/ Celiac.

Celiac (recently diagnosed solely on blood tests); Biopsy and Gene testing on 5/15;

TTG: 800, EMA: Positive (don't know exact count yet)

Milk Allergy

Egg Allergy

Severe GERD/Reflux

#3 Deaminated Marcus

Deaminated Marcus

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

In case it helps I got rid of my Reflux (the one that comes up at night) when I stopped putting pepper on my supper.

I found that out by chance.

I haven't tested it since. Who wants to wake up in a startle.

#4 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

I had to get up from the table and I know there was nothing in my body that was not supposed to be there.  I have been following the diets thoroughly.  Any ideas?  I felt like my Esophagus was closing up on me.  End result was spitting up in the bathroom, and then I felt better.  No foods, came up, just coughing up, some fluid and all was well, I could breath and the tightness/pain went away.

I have no food/drink vices left, its all just meats and veggies, water and green tea.

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#5 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

caffeine relaxes the cardiac sphincter, the muscle at the bottom of the esophagus.  Don't just stop all caffeine because you may end up with a withdrawl H/A.  Also, are you taking the Carafate as order? and in tab or liquid?  the liquid/suspension, would be more appropriate in your case.

#6 Marlie

Marlie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

I had to get up from the table and I know there was nothing in my body that was not supposed to be there.  I have been following the diets thoroughly.  Any ideas?  I felt like my Esophagus was closing up on me.  End result was spitting up in the bathroom, and then I felt better.  No foods, came up, just coughing up, some fluid and all was well, I could breath and the tightness/pain went away.

I have no food/drink vices left, its all just meats and veggies, water and green tea.

Refluxing does not necessarily have to be acidic based. There is no acid reflux as well. My child had both reflexes and MEDS did not stop the refluxing. Might want to google that.

#7 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

Do you have any specifics to the damage in your esophagus? 

In my daughter's case of Eosinophilic Esophagitis, there is an airborn allergen as well as food "triggers".  (More cases are diagnosed by symptoms that "flare up" late summer to early fall.)

Here is the odd part.  There is a connection to Celiac and EE.  A major gluten free product line uses pea starch in a lot of their products.  For some reason peas tend to be a higher reactive food allergen.  In my daughter's case we did the elimination diet to try and determine what the food triggers are.  She needs to avoid gluten (that diagnoses was years before), fish, shellfish, eggs, and peas.

Keep a food journal, you might find different things make symptoms worse.  (If it was determined to be eosinophil involvement ~ keep in mind once eosinophils have been activated, they stay actively damaging tissue for up to 12 days.)

Michigan

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

My GERD damaged my throat. It took about a year to heal. I ended up cutting out tea, soda, milk (it would coat my throat and make it irritated, no allergy though and i was able to handle cheese just fine), spicy, acidic and anything that triggers the acid reflux. I have never drank coffee either.

Out of that list, I have only gotten milk back.

I fully understand that feeling with your throat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: