This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Beer - What Do You Drink?

squirmingitch

squirmingitch Veteran

Both my hubs & I  have dh & the slightest amt. of gluten can set off an outbreak so we need to be extra careful. We would like to have some beer but worry about getting cc'd. What gluten-free beers have you guys tried & been okay with? I figure you will have the skinny on this question b/c if anyone is going to react, you guys will.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Not a big beer drinker (I prefer gin)

but I have had: 

Green's

Bard's

New Planet

they all taste pretty good and I have never noticed a thing (except the buzz we hope for!)  :lol:

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have tried several gluten-free beers.  I remember Greens, New Grist, Redbridge and Bard's Tale.  I think I only tried Greens and New Grist once and they didn't make me feel too good.  I have no proof that it was gluten reactions, but that is what it felt like.  According to many here there are many other things that can give you reactions that feel like gluten reactions.  Redbridge was pretty good, but Bard's Tale was the best as far as perceived reactions go.  Those guys really go out of their way to keep out cc possibilities.  Eventually I dropped that too.  I had a little sip yesterday though.

This is the super sensitive section and I am very sensitive.  A typical celiac shouldn't have problems with gluten-free beers.

Here is an article about more gluten-free beers: Open Original Shared Link

squirmingitch Veteran

Thanks IH & Steph. Steph, I am not a typical celiac. I don't get the gut & crappy feeling stuff you guys do. I have the celiac rash so if I get the slightest bit of gluten then the rash makes me pay for ---- ohhhhhh YEARS. You see, I would only know I was reacting when the rash flared & it then is depositing more antibodies under my skin which take literally years to go away. This is why I'm being ultra careful. So it looks like Bard's is the one to go with. I know about Redbridge but I just can't trust in a mega company like that, that there won't be "mistakes" --- someone forgot to clean the lines or didn't do a good job & a hundred other mishaps. To those who will say the world is full of gluten ...... fine, I understand, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be as careful as I can be. And it looks like Bard's is the safest bet.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I've had Redbridge and another....without looking in the bar I can't remember. I'm ok with either. I don't really drink beer - I cook with it.

For drinking I hit the cider, wine, or Tito's. or mimosas. Or tequila, straight. Or good bourbon.

Apparently, anything but beer.

squirmingitch Veteran

I've had Redbridge and another....without looking in the bar I can't remember. I'm ok with either. I don't really drink beer - I cook with it.

For drinking I hit the cider, wine, or Tito's. or mimosas. Or tequila, straight. Or good bourbon.

Apparently, anything but beer.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I hope you do OK with the Bard's Tale.  I drink Metaxa Ouzo.  It's an acquired taste.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Yes, I'm not sure I could "acquire" the taste! :lol:

Kate79 Apprentice

The best gluten free beer I've had is from a dedicated, 100% gluten-free brewery in Oregon called Harvester.  They've got several flavors and test out new ones frequently - I've had their Red Ale, Dark Ale, and IPA, as well as a few experimental flavors.  Unfortunately, they aren't widely available outside of the pacific northwest yet, but you can order online depending on the state you live in - www.harvesterbrewing.com.  It's expensive, but totally worth it if craft beers used to be your thing.

Green's and New Planet are my other favorites.  Both widely available and pretty tasty, with several flavors.  I also liked one called Celia that I had in New York last year.  Reminded me a lot of a Blue Moon -  I think it's only available in the northeast right now. 

Redbridge, Bard's and New Grist are all perfectly safe beers and widely availalbe, but in my opinion, they don't taste all that good.

Stay away from Omission and Daura and all the 'low-gluten' beers they're marketing these days.  Some people don't react, but a lot do - better to be safe than sorry!

MYSweetPea Newbie

I've been able to drink:

Dog Fish Head's Tweasonale - tastes like strawberry beer and

Angry Orchard Hard Ciders - Tastes like wine coolers though. 

• 1 month later...
'lynrn Apprentice

Try omission beer. Gluten free and has all sorts of awards, even against regular beers! It is really good!

IrishHeart Veteran

Not everyone agrees with you about Omission, I am afraid.

While it tastes good (so I have heard), it is questionable about how "gluten free " it actually is.

The things I have read, leave me skeptical about its safety.

But if you have no symptoms after drinking it...cheers!  :) 

ndw3363 Contributor

I've only tried Bard's and Redbridge.  Bard's I didn't care for the taste...Redbridge is a weird story.  I started to notice that every time I had it, the next day I was an emotional wreck.  Every time!!  Didn't matter if I had one or four...didn't matter what else I ate that day (always gluten-free of course), the next day I was a mess of tears for no reason at all.  I want to try another brand, but haven't happened upon a weekend where it wouldn't matter if I was bawling all the next day.  Guess I'll stick to wine for now - been trying a couple ciders, but most are so darn sweet!!

killernj13 Enthusiast

Redbridge here but I was a Bud guy before celiac disease so I am not a beer snob at all.

As others stated stay away from the Daura beer which is made wiht barley but claim to remove the gluten.  Had that twice and got sick both time.

squirmingitch Veteran

We found some New Grist in our town & have been drinking that. We like it & have had no ill effects. Real beer aficionados probably would stick their tongue out at it but we weren't beer aficionados in the first place ~~~ beer always made me sick so it stands to reason right? I will say that it doesn't seem to have as much carbonation in it. It makes a nice head but the liquid itself isn't as fizzy as gluten beer. Personally that's just fine with me as I'm an odd bird who has never cared for too much carbonation in anything & that includes soft drinks. 

• 1 month later...
becksss Newbie

You could try ciders.. They are delicious... Michelob makes one that is naturally gluten free!

notme Experienced

i was drinking redbridge, but recently tried bards and new planet.  my beer guy is going to hate me, i'm going to make him order bards and send back the redbridge.  

just another 'click' - the bards is nicer to my gut :)  and i like the taste better..   the new planet 'blonde' was absolutely delish but i can't find it around here.

• 3 months later...
JoyMurphy Apprentice

This is a late weigh in, but I used to only like bards..... My new love? Glutenberg blond ale...... Omg!!!!!! I was in love! They are out of Montreal and started to import this year

Does Glutenberg blond ale use a dedicated facility?  I haven't heard of them.

MJ-S Contributor

I've also never heard of Glutenberg beer. They claim to get 0ppm (as in zero) - that's quite a claim! According to their FAQ they are a gluten free facility: Open Original Shared Link

I'll have to see if we can get it in the Boston area.

This thread is timely for me because I was planning on resurrecting it too!

I just definitely reacted to Green's. Not a huge reaction, but definitely a reaction. I've been off gluten-free-beer all summer (cider is just more appealing to me when the weather is warm, btw I do fine with Crispin's cider). This week I decided to have a Green's. I've been ok with it in the past, but with some doubtful incidents. This time I was sure it was the Green's. I emailed the distributor who confirmed they test to 20ppm (not good enough for me) and are brewed in a regular brewery with other beers. So, sniff, I guess it's back to Bard's for me. 

I've also read a misconception on this forum (another thread) that Bard's is processed in a gluten-free-facility. It is not. I confirmed directly with them after the Green's incident. However, Bard's takes extra precautions to guard against cc with their raw ingredients and to super-clean their equipment. They also bypass the facility's grain handling system and test repeatedly to 10ppm. I've never noticed a problem with it, but it's been a while since I've had one.

I thought that Bards was from a gluten-free facility too.  How did you confirm that?  I can't find it on their webpage.  I believe that I have reacted to Greens too.  Bards was better, but still a bit hit and miss so I haven't had any beer for awhile.  I looked up Glutenberg too.  I clicked on their "view the chemical analysis report" and it says 0.00 ppm gluten.  The method that was used is R5 Elisa.  It doesn't say whether it was competitive or sandwich, only the former is useful for detecting hydrolyzed gluten.  I think that the detection limits are such that there a few too many significant figures present in the 0.00 figure.  I remember working hard to teach that concept to freshman chemistry students.  This gives some information about the tests: Open Original Shared Link

I'm going to be in Montreal in the new year.  I think I'll look this up.

MJ-S Contributor

I emailed Bards directly and they responded right away. 

The 10ppm I read somewhere else (I think on their site somewhere?) 

I'm ok with other gluten-free products in dedicated facilities that test to 10ppm (Udi's, Namaste). I don't love the shared facility part, but I'd be comfortable going to back to Bards and trying it again. I just don't love the taste, but it's ok.

JoyMurphy Apprentice

you can get glutenberg in boston.  New England def has it.  Other areas not so much yet.   Not a fan of the American Pale Ale, but I don't like IPA and the red...it;s an aquired taste....but the Blonde....YUM!!!!!!!  And a cool oil can too!

I drove from Plymouth to Stoneham the day they got it in and cleared them out.  Now a lot of places have it.  Some restaurants carry it too.  I know there is a restaurant in JP that had a tasting dinner one night.

JoyMurphy Apprentice

daura is delicious but it gave me an instant headache...too many ppm.  

JoyMurphy, I was posting to you in another thread where you said that you were on the Fasano diet.  I didn't think that it included alcoholic beverages.  I looked it up and it doesn't.  That may be another reason for ongoing symptoms.

Archived