Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free Beer - What Do You Drink?

34 posts in this topic

Steph, unfortunately for me, I bought my truck load of glutenberg 2 weeks before they put me on the Fasano.  Sadly, it has all sat there in the fridge alone.   I came to the end of the Fasano a few months ago.  Since then I have been very careful about bringing things back.  I have though enjoyed a couple glutenbergs since then, with no problems.  Sadly for the Glutenberg folks, I tend to stick with red wine or tequila when I do have a drink.  

Ads by Google:

Green's beer is much, much stronger than most beers as it comes from Belgium.  Alcohol content is between 6-8.5%.  That could be why many people don't feel well after consuming it.

I am an extremely sensitive, diagnosed Celiac and, while I much prefer wine to beer, have had it with no issues.  BUT...I do not have any other intolerances other than dairy and that wouldn't come into play with beer.  Just because someone tests down to 20ppm's, does not mean there is that much in the beer.  I thought we had straightened that issue out but I guess many aren't listening.  I really hate it when people give negative reviews on a safe and delicious beer due to a lack of understanding on gluten level testing in a product.  <_<

I'm sorry, I thought this was the super-sensitive forum? Where we're "allowed" to react below 20ppm? I never said it had more than 20ppm. My body will happily oblige and react to less. You should read more carefully.

You're also saying I don't know the difference between too much alcohol and gluten exposure, and that I shouldn't report my experience because it's a "negative review". That's absolutely uncalled for. Just because you personally haven't reacted to a product doesn't mean you have the right to speak for others about their experiences. I had a classic gluten reaction, and unfortunately I've been at this for quite a while (not a newbie). I had strong neuro, gi and fatigue symptoms following the exposure and for several days afterwards (typical for me). One week later, I'm still unable to sleep. That should taper off shortly.

I'm sorry, I thought this was the super-sensitive forum? Where we're "allowed" to react below 20ppm? I never said it had more than 20ppm. My body will happily oblige and react to less. You should read more carefully.

You're also saying I don't know the difference between too much alcohol and gluten exposure, and that I shouldn't report my experience because it's a "negative review". That's absolutely uncalled for. Just because you personally haven't reacted to a product doesn't mean you have the right to speak for others about their experiences. I had a classic gluten reaction, and unfortunately I've been at this for quite a while (not a newbie). I had strong neuro, gi and fatigue symptoms following the exposure and for several days afterwards (typical for me). One week later, I'm still unable to sleep. That should taper off shortly.

As mentioned above, I also had problems with Greens and as not mentioned, it also didn't have to do with the amount of alcohol consumed.  I can consume that amount from other sources.  I am sorry that you got hit and I hope that you continue to improve.  It would be nice to have more awareness of differences in sensitivity level and to have that made clear on a gluten-free label.  I think that the FDA threw the more sensitives under a bus when it decided to go with the 20 ppm limit.  This is especially so when their own hazard assessment report said that some react to lower levels.  They are clearly aware of that.

Just a note on Green's - they used to make 3 kinds which were all from gluten free grains (blond, amber and dark - I think from buckwheat, sorghum and rice).  Apparently, they're still making these types, but they've also started making beers from 'de-glutinized' barley. I don't know whether these beers are being sold in the U.S. yet or if they're just in Europe - but thought I would throw it out there that people having a reaction to Green's may want to confirm that they're drinking the ones made from non-gluten grains rather than the ones that contain the de-glutinized barley.  Was disappointed to see that they're doing this, but so it goes.

The only 100% gluten-free brewery I've heard of in the U.S. is Harvester in Portland, OR - they do use certified gluten-free oats, though, so some may have a problem with that.  Supposedly, a 100% gluten-free brewery will be opening sometime in the next year in Madison, WI, too. 

The only beer I have tried and can get were I live is, Pale ale from scotts brewing in Oamaru

and I brought it at Invercargill Brewery 8 Wood Street Invercargill.

Searching the address I found it is now also at Liquorland Centrepoint dee street.....

Hi - I drink a Czech beer called 'Celia' - I've not had any problems with it - just recently found it for sale in Glasgow - will get details and post them up

I love Harvester! I went there last year and I was so excited when my boyfriend found it at a place close to his place here in Vancouver BC.

I am also super sensitive but I've never reacted to New Grist. I guess there's people in the world more sensitive than me! It certainly doesn't seem so over here… I've never met anyone who reacts to such low ppm as I do :-(

Anyway, I would stay away from "gluten removed" beers if you are sensitive !

Bard's is good....so is glutenberg. I've had no issues with either one, and they are both made from gluten-free ingredients.