5 replies to this topic

#1 mooselulu

mooselulu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hello, I am LeeAnn, mother of 5 children and wondering if my son and myself may have gluten intolerance. My son worries me the most. Several months ago my son started having "episodes" they last just about 10 seconds or so but we thought they were seizures. He starts to mumble and just wonder around, very confused but he knows who we are and where hes at. But he answeres in very short and shallow words/voice. Then he snaps out of it and can tell you that he just had an episode.  They are coming more frequent and sometimes followed by a headache and sometimes not. He does sleep walk(always has) so I thought of this as well.

We had an MRI and EEG done followed with bloodwork. The only concern is his liver enzymes were slightly elevated so we will repeat the bloodwork next week. We see neuro again on Monday to get his ideas of that this may be. But the thought of gluten intolerance came to my mind for some reason....

My son does not eat healthy or well, he is a texture guy and only eats sweets and they items that would be good for him are grains like sandwiches, chicken nuggets, pizza, bread sticks, and such. So he would always be on "gluten overload".

Has anyone experienced episodes like what I described? Also here are mine and his other symptoms that alert me to gluten intolerance.....please tell me what you think

(son) very thin and pale

(me) larger and gained alot of belly fat over the last 5 years

(son) hemaglobin D diagnosis when born

(both) ibs, intestinal issues

(me) bruise easy

(me) memory loss and just out of it alot

(both) I have dermatiasis(even cerebral) and son has eczema

(son) lots of stomache aches

(me) anxiety attacks,depression, was getting sores on both sides of tongue, my knees and legs have been troubling me for some time now

(son) sore/stiff legs occasional

I am sure there are more symptoms and of course I am almost 40 yrs old so some of ine may be due to age but my biggest concern is my sons episodes and if anyone has experienced any thing like this.

Thanks

LeeAnn

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

My eldest spaces out when she's had gluten, it's bizarre

#3 mooselulu

mooselulu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

My eldest spaces out when she's had gluten, it's bizarre

It is wierd isn't it? When the MRI and EEG came back normal, I was just at a loss as to what this might be??? But my first instict even pre"seizure" thought was dietary as he is soooo finicky about what he eats.

We also tested his blood sugar during an episode and it was normal.

#4 gfreemarketingguru

gfreemarketingguru

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Sounds like u need to ask doctor for a celiac test, it may be more serious than a intolerance. I can relate to some of what you've described w/ my kids. Gluten-Free may be the answer. You have enough symptom for doctor to suspect, but too often celiac is overlooked.

#5 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

There was an episode of a show called "mystery diagnosis" where a little boy had weider "seizures". No one knew what caused it. Til finally he was diagnosed celiac (the neuro stuff was partly due to malabsorption).

I'm on my phone, so I can't post a link. But I'm pretty sure I found it on YouTube by searching for "mystery diagnosis celiac". The show even had a clip of a home video of the child having one of these episodes. You might want to check it out

#6 mooselulu

mooselulu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Thanks Everyone! I found the YouTube video (Mystery Diagnosis), that boys episode reminds me of my son  a little bit. We see Neuro tomorrow and I will definately be asking for a Celiac test for both of us.

Thanks

LeeAnn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: