17 replies to this topic

#1 Dozey

Dozey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

Sorry for another question, but does anyone have a problem with sore spots on the scalp? My hair is looking such a mess and I want to put a colour on it but I have sore spots keep coming. As soon as one lots goes another one or two appear. Could this be related to Celiac too? Thank you
Jo

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

Hi Jo, I've had this problem for about 15 years..it can be really itchy and at first I thought I had headlice! Since going gluten free, it was one of my first symptoms to 'nearly' clear after about 4 weeks. However, if I get gluttened its back! Coffee also seems to aggravate it but unfortunately Im abit of a coffee addict. When I drink herb teas and water etc the spots virtually go completely if Im gluten free.

I'm due a hair colour too so I know exactly what you mean :(
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hi VeggieGal and thank you. It's driving me nuts! I don't drink coffee so that one is out. I am just trying to join all the dots :)
Jo

#4 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

Maybe you have an allergy to something else. I'm hoping to get some allergy testing done soon.
Since being dx with celiac, Im more body aware of other allergies/intolerances which I shrugged off before, so will be good to know for sure. Helen

#5 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

Yes , Helen, we need to get questions answered don't we? It's knowing which questions to ask. It all seems a bit overwhelming at the moment. Hope you get those tests sorted soon.
Jo

#6 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:11 AM

We'll get there Jo, now we're on the right track :)

#7 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:20 AM

We will Helen. I feel so much better from finding this forum, everyone had been so kind and helpful.
Jo

#8 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

This forum is brill Jo..you'll find out an abundance of info, meet some lovely supportive people and have some laughs along the way :)

Welcome!
Helen

#9 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:35 AM

Thank you Helen. I have been in a bit of a black cloud, but it has lifted since joining. It's a relief to be able to say how I feel without feeling I am burdoning anyone, because you all know how it feels.
Jo

#10 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:40 AM

Oh yes we certainly do, Jo! You're in the right place...things can only improve now :)
helen

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Have you checked your hair care products for wheat?

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#12 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

Have you checked your hair care products for wheat?

Hi, no I haven't, never thought about that. I read that gluten can't be absorbed through your skin because the molecules are too large, or something like that. But I suppose it could affect your skin like an allergy. Thank you.
Jo

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:10 AM

Hi, no I haven't, never thought about that. I read that gluten can't be absorbed through your skin because the molecules are too large, or something like that. But I suppose it could affect your skin like an allergy. Thank you.
Jo

While gluten cannot be absorbed through intact skin if you have open sores it can IMHO be absorbed into the blood stream through those sores. Celiac is an autoimmune reaction and having gluten in contact with any body tissue can keep the autoimmune reaction going. Also if you are using products containing gluten most will leave some sort of residue which if your hands come into contact with can be transfered to your mouth. An allergic response is also possible.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:30 AM

There seems to be so much to think about, And I don't even know if I have any sensitivity yet.
Jo

#15 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:32 AM

hi dozey,

just thought i'd throw this out there, but when I was searching for gluten free hair products, I ended up buying the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Shampoo and Condition.  I found it at Target, and it is gluten free which is marked on the bottle.  I've never had sores on my scalp, but it can get dry, and I've definitely noticed this line restores moisture.  There are some starter kits that can be bought from Walgreens to test it out.  here are two links:

http://www.walgreens...6057768-product

http://www.walgreens...6057765-product

hope this helps!

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: