Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Zyrtec And Other Allergy Medicines

7 posts in this topic

I am having a devil of a time trying to find out if Zyrtec is gluten free.  Does anyone know?  What about other gluten-free allergy medicines? Thanks!

Ads by Google:

It was when I checked but I have been using the Target brand version.  It says gluten-free on it.

Claritin and Zyrtec are on this list compiled by a pharmacist

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/list.pdf

Yes.

glutenfreedrugs.com

Thanks Karen-couldn't copy the link on mobile version.

While it has been some time since I checked, if you are into saving a buck (at the time I checked about a year ago) Wal-Mart brand Zyrtec is not safe, while Walgreens brand is. Just what I was told on the phone, as a matter of fact I have been told that a variety of Wal-Mart brand generics are unsafe. Walgreens will sometimes say gluten free on the side of the box, but sometimes not, as a wide variety of manufacturers make their generics. I'm not particularly familiar with Target as I don't shop there too frequently although I have heard that they are awesome at labeling their generics.

If you are into something that will help you now, for immediate symptom relief in a way that in my experience things like zyrtec and claritin and such just can't do, Benadryl. It is something I keep on hand 100% of the time for things like allergic reactions.

While it has been some time since I checked, if you are into saving a buck (at the time I checked about a year ago) Wal-Mart brand Zyrtec is not safe, while Walgreens brand is. Just what I was told on the phone, as a matter of fact I have been told that a variety of Wal-Mart brand generics are unsafe. Walgreens will sometimes say gluten free on the side of the box, but sometimes not, as a wide variety of manufacturers make their generics. I'm not particularly familiar with Target as I don't shop there too frequently although I have heard that they are awesome at labeling their generics.

If you are into something that will help you now, for immediate symptom relief in a way that in my experience things like zyrtec and claritin and such just can't do, Benadryl. It is something I keep on hand 100% of the time for things like allergic reactions.

Which walmart ones aren't?

You know, I wish I could tell you every one I have called on. I've called about a few of allergy meds over the past year, and most recently about liquid pepto. I remember most notably being told in no uncertain terms not to take the Wal-Mart brand pepto (liquid) or claritin. At least they are forthcoming. I figure though that for the money I can save on generics it is worth my time to make the calls, it may not be to other people.