6 replies to this topic

#1 kcorcoran2013

kcorcoran2013

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

I am having a devil of a time trying to find out if Zyrtec is gluten free.  Does anyone know?  What about other gluten-free allergy medicines? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

It was when I checked but I have been using the Target brand version.  It says gluten-free on it.

Claritin and Zyrtec are on this list compiled by a pharmacist

http://www.glutenfre...gs.com/list.pdf

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:24 AM

Yes.

glutenfreedrugs.com

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:34 AM

Thanks Karen-couldn't copy the link on mobile version.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

While it has been some time since I checked, if you are into saving a buck (at the time I checked about a year ago) Wal-Mart brand Zyrtec is not safe, while Walgreens brand is. Just what I was told on the phone, as a matter of fact I have been told that a variety of Wal-Mart brand generics are unsafe. Walgreens will sometimes say gluten free on the side of the box, but sometimes not, as a wide variety of manufacturers make their generics. I'm not particularly familiar with Target as I don't shop there too frequently although I have heard that they are awesome at labeling their generics.

If you are into something that will help you now, for immediate symptom relief in a way that in my experience things like zyrtec and claritin and such just can't do, Benadryl. It is something I keep on hand 100% of the time for things like allergic reactions.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

While it has been some time since I checked, if you are into saving a buck (at the time I checked about a year ago) Wal-Mart brand Zyrtec is not safe, while Walgreens brand is. Just what I was told on the phone, as a matter of fact I have been told that a variety of Wal-Mart brand generics are unsafe. Walgreens will sometimes say gluten free on the side of the box, but sometimes not, as a wide variety of manufacturers make their generics. I'm not particularly familiar with Target as I don't shop there too frequently although I have heard that they are awesome at labeling their generics.

If you are into something that will help you now, for immediate symptom relief in a way that in my experience things like zyrtec and claritin and such just can't do, Benadryl. It is something I keep on hand 100% of the time for things like allergic reactions.

Which walmart ones aren't?

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

You know, I wish I could tell you every one I have called on. I've called about a few of allergy meds over the past year, and most recently about liquid pepto. I remember most notably being told in no uncertain terms not to take the Wal-Mart brand pepto (liquid) or claritin. At least they are forthcoming. I figure though that for the money I can save on generics it is worth my time to make the calls, it may not be to other people.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: