13 replies to this topic

#1 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

I am brand new to the whole gluten-free beer thing, since I prefer wine. But the heat wave here in Cali has me wanting to try beer again. I used to like India Pale Ales and ambers, and brands like Gordon Biersch or Sam Adams.

My local Safeway has two brands: Omission (this one scares me because it's made from barley with the gluten 'removed') and Redbridge by Anhauser Busch (not a Bud fan, so am skeptical). Am going to head out to a BevMo for more options. Maybe Trader Joe's has something?

What can anyone recommend?

Thanks and cheers! B)

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

Green's 

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hubs says Greens or New Planet 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 Marie1976

Marie1976

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Our Trader Joe's doesn't have gluten-free beer. Bevmo is good for gluten-free beer. I have tried New Grist, Redbridge and one other one, forgot the name, and they were okaaaay... but honestly, gluten-free beer in my opinion is just NOT the same as real beer. I was a "beer person" before, and now I'm not because I'm not impressed with the gluten-free variety. I prefer hard cider or wine over gluten-free beer. Maybe I'll try Greens or New Planet like others have suggested...

Here's a good drink for summertime: Pour 1 shot of Smirnoff vodka, 1 shot of Malibu rum and a small can of pineapple juice over ice, and add a splash of Coke. Yum! ;) 

#5 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

All Trader Joe's has is hard cider, which is made by Woodchuck and is delicious.

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

I like Greens too. 

I tried Dauruma (I can't remember the exact spelling) almost a year ago. It said it was gluten-free so I grabbed it and I realized halfway through the bottle (I'm a slow drinker) that I was being glutened - It was one of those beers started for barley that is "supposedly" gluten-free to 6ppm.  I reacted strongly to it.  Personally, I would avoid any beer started from barley just to be safe.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

Best tasting gluten-free beer I've had, hands down, is from Harverster Brewing - which is a dedicated gluten free brewery in Portland, OR.  You can find it in Oregon and Washington - maybe in California, but I'm not sure.  You can order online, too - www.harvesterbrewing.com.  They have both an IPA and a Pale Ale, as well as Dark and Red, and usually some experimental flavors.  The IPA is really good.

New Planet's Pale Ale is a pretty good sub for an IPA and is easy to find.  They're other flavors are fine, too.  Green's is also good, but a little sweet and expensive.  St. Peter's Sorghum beer has a very strong hoppy flavor, too - a lot of people don't care for it, but if you were really into IPAs, you might enjoy it.

Stay away from Omission and Daura.  After reacting to Daura and seeing that many people react to it and Omission, I think this whole 'low-gluten' thing is a (hopefully unintentional) scam.

#8 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

New Planet is good.  They have added 2 new "flavors" recently.  The new flavors haven't made it to my area yet.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#9 GlutenFreeRupert

GlutenFreeRupert

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

New Planet is my favorite gluten free beer as far as flavor, variety, and accessibility. 

#10 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

I used to be a "beer only" person, pre-Celiac, so I really do love beer. In Mississippi due to some weird laws, we are limited in our selections.

Red Bridge (Budwieser) is about like a Bud Light. OK, but not really good. My only other choice is Daura. It is much better than the Red Bridge, and I have not reacted to it. I really look forward to my annual trip to Virginia where I can get Green's.

#11 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

I "4th" Green's ... I also like New Planet Pale Ale, but that's the only of theirs I"ve tried. I didn't like Redbridge at all when I had it... just didn't taste enough like beer to me.

#12 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

For American gluten-free beers, New Planet Pale Ale hands down for a nice easy drinking and tasty beer. Green's comes in next for something a little heavier (and stronger!) Their amber is amazing, and the blonde is delicious but at 8% or so totally kicked my arse! There's also a brewery that does a strawberry beer that 's really nice (I can't remember the name of it).

I tried one of the "gluten removed" beers once. Not only did it leave me with a rather funny feeling, it was also extremely disappointing. Never ever ever ever again.

Things are looking up on the Canadian gluten-free beer front too. There's a brewery in Quebec called BSG (Brasseurs Sans Gluten) that are making AMAZING gluten-free beers, so good I feel like I'm drinking normal beer. They've started exporting to the US, but I have no idea where you'd find it.

I've also tried the New Planet Raspberry Ale which is quite nice.

Bards tastes like water. New Grist is barely tolerable. I haven't had Redbridge, but don't think it's much better.

Ciders are great too.

Happy drinking

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#13 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

"There's also a brewery that does a strawberry beer that 's really nice (I can't remember the name of it)." - It's probably Dogfishhead - they have a strawberry-based gluten free beer called Tweason Ale.  Pretty good if you like fruity beers.

#14 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for all the tips! I saw Green's at my natural foods store but it was like $7a pint... I've tried New Planet and loved it.

Omission was also super good. I was afraid to try it but it didn't bother me at all. I thought I was super sensitive, but it says less than 20 ppm. But if I can find New Planet, I'll stick to that because it was like a good IPA.

Redbridge tasted like non-alcohol beer to me, or Bud Light. :(

So when I can afford it, I'll try a Green's, but I'm pretty happy with Omission and New Planet right now!

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: