19 replies to this topic

#16 funkflex

funkflex

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

You are not alone dealing with fatigue long after diagnosis. Myself I am (almost) 10 months in and dealing with fatigue and exercise intolerance. I get so pissed with all these happy go lucky people that run marathons after a week off gluten and assume that´s how things work out for all of us.

But I´m not jumping to the "Chronic fatigue syndrome" diagnosis just yet. This diagnosis should only be given when there´s no medical explanation for your fatigue, in other words when theres no treatment and all hope is out. We have an explanation for your fatigue * celiac * so don´t  label yourself with a useless CFS diagnosis or trick yourself or your doctor to skipping all the testing and giving the lazy man´s diagnosis.

There´s a lot of tests you could take to rule out all the diseases of the world that cause fatigue. I for myself I´m waiting eagerly to see the follow-up biopsy. If the villi healed, then we seriously need to look for other explanations, and there´s a lot of tests that could be done.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Em314

Em314

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

EKG came out fine.  We'll have to see how the tests from the blood draw end up turning out.

Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

#18 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Is it too late.  You certainly should have a total iron count done.  Low iron can result in extreme fatigue.  I hope you get this solved.

D

#19 Em314

Em314

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

Oh, I never updated on this- I had mild anemia (and protien deficiency), other mild deficiencies typical of celiac (I forget them all), and low Vit D.  Taking a Vit D supplement has helped tremendously, and I'm making an effort to get more iron in my diet.  Some issues with fatigue have recurred recently, but I sort of suspect at least some of that is that where I am it's cold and gets dark at 4:30pm now and that makes me want to hibernate.  (The tiredness popping up has almost directly correlated with the clocks being set back in November.)

My folate (iirc) was actually (non-dangerously) high because I'd been eating so much Chex, though, lol.  I have a friend (non-celiac) who had the same thing come up in bloodwork for the same reason.

Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

#20 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Oh, I am glad to hear you discovered this.  I left my anemia behind within the last 6 months.  I had 30+ years of symptoms and am now 18 months gluten free.  I am feeling so much incredibly better in the last 6 months.  I hope the same for you.  Get some natural, good quality supplements and don't forget to take them.  Are you on enzymes to?  If you are low in nutrients it may be because your villi are still healing.  The digestive enzymes can help break down your food, until the villi are healed up.  This is according to my functional medicine nurse.  It worked for me!

The fatigue and anemia seemed to be directly connected for me.  I took folatin  for my anemia along with iron.  The nurse explained to me that they found I had immature red blood cells.  These do not carry oxygen as well as regular red blood cells.  They also break down when they get in tight spots.  Anyway, every cell in my body feels better to me!

D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: