Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Mouth Pain After Glutening?

8 posts in this topic

I'm quite sure I got 'glutened' at a restaurant last night.  No need to go into the details, but I was a mess with D most of this morning.  I've been gluten-free for about two months and generally feeling good.  Tonight, I'm feeling like my mouth has got scurvy - i know, too early for a vitamin C deficiency, but that's how it feels.  I was just starting to feel this way regularly before my diagnosis, so I wonder if it's related.

Anyone experience this?  Kind of an odd effect of a glutening, no?

Ads by Google:

I get this also so your not alone. It does seem an odd effect but I think the inflammation that comes with a glutening has something to do with it.

Hopefully you will feel better soon.

Yep, inflammation. My gums will bleed when I'm inflamed. Took me forever to figure it out. Mouth problems go with swollen feet for me.

Yes, feeling like I had only eaten candy all day or bit my tongue or cheek in the middle of the night is a symptom I have. I also get gum/tooth pain, but it feels just like nerve pain I get in my hands, not like sores.

Wow.  So interesting.  Thanks everyone.  I would have never suspected the relationship.  I guess this is a good sign for me that I'm dealing with a glutening rather than just something disagreeing with me.

Eating gluten for me has caused TMJ, mouth/tooth pain, and repeat tonsillitis (weakened immune system I think). Doctors have told me none of these things are related to my celiac, but I never had any of these symptoms or problems before. I'll get a small cold and end up with a fever, sinus infection, ear infection, and I've had tonsillitis twice since I started to get sick from celiac a year ago. I've been gluten free for 2 months now.

Yep, there were times when I felt my mouth was just....raw. Sore and raw. On top of that, the inside of my lips would peel off. Eeeek.

ps.The good news is since 10 months gluten-free my gums no longer bleed when I brush. Yeehaw.

I just posted a question about mouth issues and now see this. For over 2 months my mouth has felt like it is burned inside. My gums are sensitive, and my lips are swollen and sore. I am now being super careful about gluten contamination and bought new pots, bowls, and utensils. 

Hope it works. I am really really tired of this.