7 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

I'm quite sure I got 'glutened' at a restaurant last night.  No need to go into the details, but I was a mess with D most of this morning.  I've been gluten-free for about two months and generally feeling good.  Tonight, I'm feeling like my mouth has got scurvy - i know, too early for a vitamin C deficiency, but that's how it feels.  I was just starting to feel this way regularly before my diagnosis, so I wonder if it's related.

Anyone experience this?  Kind of an odd effect of a glutening, no?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:01 AM

I get this also so your not alone. It does seem an odd effect but I think the inflammation that comes with a glutening has something to do with it.

Hopefully you will feel better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

Yep, inflammation. My gums will bleed when I'm inflamed. Took me forever to figure it out. Mouth problems go with swollen feet for me.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Yes, feeling like I had only eaten candy all day or bit my tongue or cheek in the middle of the night is a symptom I have. I also get gum/tooth pain, but it feels just like nerve pain I get in my hands, not like sores.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#5 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

Wow.  So interesting.  Thanks everyone.  I would have never suspected the relationship.  I guess this is a good sign for me that I'm dealing with a glutening rather than just something disagreeing with me.

#6 Caroline5757

Caroline5757

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Eating gluten for me has caused TMJ, mouth/tooth pain, and repeat tonsillitis (weakened immune system I think). Doctors have told me none of these things are related to my celiac, but I never had any of these symptoms or problems before. I'll get a small cold and end up with a fever, sinus infection, ear infection, and I've had tonsillitis twice since I started to get sick from celiac a year ago. I've been gluten free for 2 months now.

#7 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Yep, there were times when I felt my mouth was just....raw. Sore and raw. On top of that, the inside of my lips would peel off. Eeeek.

ps.The good news is since 10 months gluten-free my gums no longer bleed when I brush. Yeehaw.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#8 yaelchai

yaelchai

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

I just posted a question about mouth issues and now see this. For over 2 months my mouth has felt like it is burned inside. My gums are sensitive, and my lips are swollen and sore. I am now being super careful about gluten contamination and bought new pots, bowls, and utensils. 

Hope it works. I am really really tired of this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: