Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

How Strict If You Are Ncgi?

9 posts in this topic

I have a question... Is Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance the same as Celiac? I know transgressions are very bad for Celiacs, is the same case for Non Gluten Celiac Intolerence? I understand the the sympthoms are similar but not the immune response, if you have NCGI and you don't follow a strict Gluten Free diet, will you have the symthoms only or you are risking as well getting other important sickeness? Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Absolutely 100% gluten free.  No question.  

Personally I think I do have celiac based on the fact that I had a very specific rash from eating gluten, but by the time I got myself to the doctor I had been off gluten for 2 months and even though the doctor was pretty sure it was celiac I wasn't willing to do a gluten challenge.

That said, after 3 years of eating gluten free and constantly reading about it, I believe that there is gluten intolerance that doesn't present as celiac disease.  And it's very serious.  I believe some people with gluten intolerance develop celiac disease, some get arthritis, some get chronic fatigue, etc etc.   I'm glad NCGI is finally starting to get some attention because I worry that a lot of people who need to be gluten free test negative for celiac and then go on with their lives as if gluten isn't the problem  ( My younger brother for example)

I agree.  As gluten free as humanly possible in the world we live in.

My NCGI children and grands can't tolerate any gluten -- exactly same reaction as their diagnosed Mom (me) and their sister.

I believe if I had been tested earlier in life I would also be labeled NCGI as my antibodies were all mild/weak positive at 43 with symptoms dating back to childhood.

So I'd say NCGI needs to be just as careful as someone with celiac disease.

The truth is the medical community does not know what being "NCGI" means - other than you are gluten sensitive, and you fail the Celiac tests.

To tge best if my knowledge, there are no long term studies of the health problems found in NCGI patients. There are no studies showing what "a little bit of gluten" does. There are no studies about what happens to NCGI if you continue to eat gluten.

For me, the key is the improvement in so many symptoms being completely gluten-free. I have ended up virtually paleo.

I was more or less wheat free for 9 years, but the change from that to gluten-free is almost unbelievable.

There is not much long term evidence about effects of untreated ncgi.

For me, there is no going back to the pain and exhaustion of life pre gluten-free.

Evidence is starting to emerge that ncgi and celiac are on a spectrum. Early days though

They think there is an auto-immune response in NCGI, just not the same AI response as in celiac.  Any AI response (bodie's immune system attacking it's own tissues) is not good for a person.   Long term effects have not been studied yet so nobody can tell you what NCGI might result in later.  But there is some thinking that Crohn's disease may involve the innate immune response also.  So it could be very serious.

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article
http://www.celiac.com/articles/23033/1/Non-Celiac-Wheat-Sensitivity-It-Exists/Page1.html

Innate immune response in AI diseases
http://www.celiac.com/articles/23149/1/Gliadin-Triggers-Innate-Immune-Reaction-in-Celiac-and-Non-celiac-Individuals/Page1.html

I am NCGI as well (just found out this year) and tested negative, but had already eliminated gluten.  I do have reactions when unintentionally getting "glutened".  So far had found by trial and error that I am ok with products labeled "produced in the same facility as wheat".  This is definately a learning process.....

Welcome Sassbo :)

If you haven't already -- take a stroll through the "Newbie 101" thread -- it contains tons of helpful tips.

I did igA, igG and igE, all very low.

I got a biopsy negative as well.

I have helicobacter, it is quite bad, huge erosion with ulcers and metaplasia.

Also de ultrasound scan showed a inflammation in the ileum but nothing in the colonoscopy (but I have pain in the right lower side from time to time).

Bit low in Vit D, bit low in copper, TSH 3.2, liver bit high... No clue! Celiac? NCGS? Chron? Just the Helicobacter?