6 replies to this topic

#1 allison931

allison931

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:07 PM

we just found out my 17 year old has additional intolerances to wheat, oats, and nuts. She has had intolerances to cow's milk, goat's milk, soy, potatoes since she was five. She has not been feeling well for awhile but I attributed to her busy schedule and her dancing seven days a week. We just found out last week. Does any one have any suggestions what I could give her to fill her up. She is always hungry. Even after she eats. Will this eventually go away once she gets used to the new diet? I could really use some help. Thanks from a mother in need of helping a hungry kid. My daughter is only 102lbs. now and I don't want her to lose a lot of weight. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GC1

GC1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:40 PM

we just found out my 17 year old has additional intolerances to wheat, oats, and nuts.  She has had intolerances to cow's milk, goat's milk, soy, potatoes since she was five.  She has not been feeling well for awhile but I attributed to her busy schedule and her dancing seven days a week.  We just found out last week.  Does any one have any suggestions what I could give her to fill her up.  She is always hungry. Even after she eats.  Will this eventually go away once she gets used to the new diet?  I could really use some help.   Thanks from a mother in need of helping a hungry kid.  My daughter is only 102lbs. now and I don't want her to lose a lot of weight.  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know how she feels... I lived hungry from childhood to just weeks ago (at age 48). Nutritional starvation can't be fixed with over-eating, I tried that also. Gained about 50 extra pounds of glucose stores, of which I've lost most of in the last 9 weeks. But notice I didn't say I'd lost that much weight, because my body has re-generated who-knows-how-much bone and muscle mass. Even my better-half says my shoulders, arms, legs, even my bum, "looks stronger" (her words).
So she shouldn't loose weight, she might even gain a little, especially if she eats quality proteins, good fresh veggies like _greens_ , broccoli, beans, peas, etc... whatever she can have that doesn't bother her.
Her food tolerances and cravings will likely change also. I started craving bananas, broccoli, green beans, chicken breast, fish, eggs, even ice cream/milk, after the first week. Before that, even the sight of a banana would make my stomach turn, but now I eat one every other morning, and crave them at other times--but only eat [raw] fruit in the morning; on an empty stomach, alone, and nothing else for at least one hour (raw fruit does't mix well with other foods for many people).
Also, my appetite has been unbelievable the last 8 weeks, eating a good 30% more than usual... it's starting to normalize now, after I've been healing/re-generating.

Hope some of this is of use,
GC

#3 Merika

Merika

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:39 PM

i am confused. She has celiac? So she shouldn't be eating wheat and oats anyway right? How long has she been diagnosed?

Merika

#4 Bonnie

Bonnie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:23 PM

Allison, as Merika says you don't mention anything about gluten.

Apart from all the gluten grains - I have allergy/intolerance to rice, nuts, seeds, chocolate, sucrose, potatoes and alcohol. This makes my diet very limited.

Like your daughter, I was hungry all the time for months. This has eased a little but I still eat every 3 hours. Not being able to eat rice or potatoes makes it very difficult to eat filling foods.

I strongly recommend you try millet, polenta and quinoa. The quinoa I especially like. I use all of these as my carbohydrate to replace rice and potatoes. Polenta and millet make really nice porridge.

Bananas are a Godsend to me. Too much fruit bothers me but I can eat bananas till they are coming out my ears. :lol: Very easy on the digestion, quite filling and very versatile - you can do loads with them.

This is obviously all overwhelming to you right now but there are alternative foods. It is just going to take time to look for them and try out new things.

Someone on this board told me to change the way I think - e.g. start having food that I would normally have for supper as breakfast etc. One of the best advice tips I've ever had.

Chin up, this forum will help you!

Yvonne

#5 GC1

GC1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:40 PM

i am confused. She has celiac? So she shouldn't be eating wheat and oats anyway right? How long has she been diagnosed?

Merika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She mentions "intolerances to wheat, oats......."

The thing that stumps me is; what's the difference between Celiac and 'intolerance'. I guess severity makes the difference... intolerance must be more like an allergy, without possible life threatening conditions.

GC

#6 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:07 AM

I have many intolerances but no formal DX of celiac disease. I simply cannot eat these foods.

Either way, the hunger does go away but can come back. Also the food cravings appear to be normal based on what I have read and experienced. Right now, mine are olives and I have no idea why.

Anyway, you might want to check out EnjoyLife food products which are made without many of the common food allergens and they taste closer to normal. They have snack bars that are easy to take along in a pinch. Also, kinikicks (I know this is spelled wrong) has a lot of products too. I buy mine at a local health food store.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#7 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:19 AM

Coconut oil is an easily absorbed fat that can help with weight gain and feeling full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: