2 replies to this topic

#1 KerryLad

KerryLad

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

hi there i seen on a few places they say if u are going true ibs or gluten intolerence that oats Gluten free or normal porrage oats are bad even if its gluten free that if inflamed it does not help the intestines how true is this?? i have stuck to gluten free diet as well as i can and still sick and have porrage gluten free every morning maybe its too heavy any ideas thanks??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Three points.

Regular, commercial oats are contaminated with wheat, and must be avoided by anyone avoiding gluten.

A minority of people with celiac disease experience the autoimmune reaction, even when the oats are pure. The only way to know if you are one of them is to try pure oats and see if you react. Don't introduce any other new foods for at least a couple of days before and after, so that if there is a reaction, you know it was the oats.

Oats are hard to digest, and an intestine compromised by damage from celiac disease has enough challenges. Wait until you are healed before trying oats. I have heard advice to wait at least six months.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 KerryLad

KerryLad

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

Three points.

Regular, commercial oats are contaminated with wheat, and must be avoided by anyone avoiding gluten.

A minority of people with celiac disease experience the autoimmune reaction, even when the oats are pure. The only way to know if you are one of them is to try pure oats and see if you react. Don't introduce any other new foods for at least a couple of days before and after, so that if there is a reaction, you know it was the oats.

Oats are hard to digest, and an intestine compromised by damage from celiac disease has enough challenges. Wait until you are healed before trying oats. I have heard advice to wait at least six months.

thanks for your reply thats what im thinking is oats are hard to digest and maybe its causeing things to sloe down and stuff like cause everything else im eating is gluten free i think like gonna try cornflakes gluten-free and fruit or eggs in the morning see how i get on cause im getting worse again pains in my abs like i was working out and pains up my back like :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: