15 replies to this topic

#1 Dozey

Dozey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:44 AM

I have just been reading some old posts and discovered a thread about anxiety. What a relief! Not that I would wish it on anyone, but anxiety is one of my worst symptoms and I'm pleased to know I'm not alone. The very worst thing for me is the feeling of not being part of the real world. Like I am locked in myself and can't find the key to get out. It makes me fear I am going mad and will never be a normal person again. Could this also be due to gluten?
Thank you
Jo

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:47 AM

I have just been reading some old posts and discovered a thread about anxiety. What a relief! Not that I would wish it on anyone, but anxiety is one of my worst symptoms and I'm pleased to know I'm not alone. The very worst thing for me is the feeling of not being part of the real world. Like I am locked in myself and can't find the key to get out. It makes me fear I am going mad and will never be a normal person again. Could this also be due to gluten?
Thank you
Jo

Yes, it could.

#3 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:59 AM

Yes, it could.

Many thanks
Jo

#4 dark-angel_warriore

dark-angel_warriore

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:08 AM

Thank you
Jo

Yes, I have that.

#5 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

I have very bad anxiety too! I think it is due to gluten... this gluten challenge has me overwhelmed about the littlest things!

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#6 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

Thanks dark angel and taynichaf. As I said I wouldn't wish it on anyone but it is reassuring to know others understand it, and that it has a possible cause.
Jo

#7 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

Thank you
Jo

Could also be your thyroid Jo. I suffer too :( . Its possible that because I've cut out gluten then I don't need so much levothyroxine anymore so need blood works doing again.

I'm currently doing a slow gentle detox and finding ways to de-stress to help support a healthy adrenal function.
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

Hi VeggieGal, i have recently had my thyroid checked and been told my dosage is correct, although of course I haven't gone gluten free yet. Just hope it will go away soon, I don't like it :)
Jo

#9 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hi VeggieGal, i have recently had my thyroid checked and been told my dosage is correct, although of course I haven't gone gluten free yet. Just hope it will go away soon, I don't like it :)
Jo

Well hopefully the gluten free lifestyle may help ..just might take some time .
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Well hopefully the gluten free lifestyle may help ..just might take some time .

Ok, thank you
Jo

#11 jhol

jhol

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thank you
Jo

hi dozey,

you have just described virtually to the letter exactly how i have felt nearly all my life. ive tried to describe it as "being trapped in a bubble and i can see whats going on in the world but im unable to join in" or "being trapped in a perspex box and i can see out but nobody can see me" ive been gluten free now just over 3 months and to be honest i dont really think about stuff like that anymore. is that lack of gluten? or just that your heads in a better place? probably a mix of both- i find im finding it easier in social situations too! 

hope that helps, good luck with going gluten free x

#12 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

Hi jhol, and thank you yes it does help and gives me a bit of hope. I hope you keep seeing improvements and am pleased you are feeling better.
Jo

#13 Miss-Marie

Miss-Marie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

Since I first got the symptoms of celiac I've been extremely anxious all the time, and I feel like im not apart of the real world too. I think my anxiety is mainly from the stomach issues I've been having - which means that I always have to plan the nearest bathroom etc, glad to know I'm not alone on this one x

#14 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

Since I first got the symptoms of celiac I've been extremely anxious all the time, and I feel like im not apart of the real world too. I think my anxiety is mainly from the stomach issues I've been having - which means that I always have to plan the nearest bathroom etc, glad to know I'm not alone on this one x

Hi Miss Marie, it's a horrible feeling isn't it, the anxiety and unrealness. I am glad I'm not alone too. I have just had my first session of CBT and the therapist says she has never come across DP before! She did say though that she thinks my anxiety syems from some thing physical rather than being purely a mental problem. Hope things get better for you soon.
Jo

#15 English Chris

English Chris

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

Thank you
Jo

I'm a 15 stone 6ft 5 man who doesnt do illness - six months ago I was flying a helicopter, I got on a plane on my own last year and drove across Florida. Three months ago I was diagnosed with Coeliac. Over the weekend I was obviously contaminated by a large quantity of gluten - Tuesday morning on the way to work I was hit with the mother of all Anxiety attacks, the top of my head went numb, I went dizzy and the pressure in my head had me on the verge of concerning myself that I was going to black out/ die or have a stroke. I drove myself to A&E. My blood pressure was normal, pulse a healthy 68bpm, but I really did not feel myself, they said it was a stress attack. Yesterday I cried like a baby in front of my girlfriend (I dont do crying), I felt I was losing control of myself. This morning I woke feeling the same - the release of adrenalin makes my legs shake. I got out of bed put my trainers on and ran probably the quickest mile of my life, 30 mins later I still feel dizzy, my head is still numb, but the panic has gone. I am due another check up this morning with my doc and will hopefully rule out other possible conditions, which judging on the speed I ran that mile I would imagine would rule out MS? When you feel you are slipping into the Anxiety imagine yourself in a good place and focus on it, stop your mind from racing, that makes it worse, easier said than done I know. I feel relieved that 99% this is the cause of gluten and Coeliac. I wish you well and I hope you improve - it is easy for it to dent your confidence in going out the door, dont let it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: