7 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissyb

Chrissyb

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place but here it goes.  Due to recent other health issues that have come up I am really wanting to get more fruits and vegies in my diet.  I love to drink smoothies in the morning.  I was wondering if I could get some imput on what is the best juicer/blender out there for under $200.  I have seen the HealthMaster from Montel and that looks amazing, I know there is the Ninjia and Brevill but I just get more and more confused when I read the reviews.  I like the Healthmaster because you can put whole fruits and veggies and it has some liquid and there you go smoothie. Looks easy and not a bunch of parts. That is kind of what I am looking for but I also want something that is going to last.

Chrissy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

Hi Chrissy, I don't know about the one you mentioned but I just bought a phillips hr1871 Avance (it was on offer from Jason Vale Juicemaster website). Its sturdy and easy to clean. Bear in mind juicers can't juice some veggies/fruit and you lose some of the fiber from juicing but still a good way of getting vitamins. I was warned from someone on here awhile back that a juicing detox can be hard on our/celiac guts... and they were right! :( So take it easy at first..you may find you're best steaming/boiling some veggies first, like kale and then juicing.

I also use my bullet blender for smoothies alot as its quick and you get the fibre too.

Edited to say.. I've just looked at the one you mentioned. Its more a blender and looks a good one :)
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

I have an Oster blender from Walmart that cost about $25...it works fine for making me a smoothie every day.

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

Hi Chrissy, I don't know about the one you mentioned but I just bought a phillips hr1871 Avance (it was on offer from Jason Vale Juicemaster website). Its sturdy and easy to clean. Bear in mind juicers can't juice some veggies/fruit and you lose some of the fiber from juicing but still a good way of getting vitamins. I was warned from someone on here awhile back that a juicing detox can be hard on our/celiac guts... and they were right! :( So take it easy at first..you may find you're best steaming/boiling some veggies first, like kale and then juicing.

I also use my bullet blender for smoothies alot as its quick and you get the fibre too.

Edited to say.. I've just looked at the one you mentioned. Its more a blender and looks a good one :)

The bullet one you have - can it grind up frozen fruit for a smoothie?  My son would make them often if we didn't have to clean the big Kitchen Aid blender - which does a great job with frozen fruit.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

I usually try all of the juicers for our culinary school in Hawaii. They all work a little different and have pros and cons but for basic juicing of fruit and veggies, and of the $100 ones like Jack Lalane, juiceman or beville from  Kmart/Walmart will work fine.  You'll have fun with it, especially  after tasting the juice from the skin of a pineapple!

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place but here it goes.  Due to recent other health issues that have come up I am really wanting to get more fruits and vegies in my diet.  I love to drink smoothies in the morning.  I was wondering if I could get some imput on what is the best juicer/blender out there for under $200.  I have seen the HealthMaster from Montel and that looks amazing, I know there is the Ninjia and Brevill but I just get more and more confused when I read the reviews.  I like the Healthmaster because you can put whole fruits and veggies and it has some liquid and there you go smoothie. Looks easy and not a bunch of parts. That is kind of what I am looking for but I also want something that is going to last.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

#6 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hi Karen, yes its good with ice and frozen fruit. Mines just a cheaper supermarket version as well but it works well and is so quick and easy to use and you drink from the tumblers which have lids so can take to work etc and hardly any cleaning! :) My mums got the Hinari model and she uses it daily.

#7 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

.  You'll have fun with it, especially  after tasting the juice from the skin of a pineapple!

The whole outside - little prickly bits and all?  How interesting!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#8 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

The whole outside - little prickly bits and all? How interesting!

yes..in a juicer not a blender. The pineapple skin is what really messed my guts up though and it didnt taste nice :( but I had a problem with kale too, so maybe its just me whos ultra sensitive because both ingredients are in juicing recipes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: