This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Completely Different Personality

DavidB73

DavidB73 Newbie

Hi everyone.  My wife has recently been diagnosed with Celiac, and being the good husband that I am I went Gluten free with her.  I have got to say, not only do a I feel better that I have in many years, it seems that by not eating Gluten it changes who I am completely.  Within a month of giving up Gluten I was no longer just wanting to sit around and do nothing, my temper was no longer short.  I felt much happier about life, and am just not a big jerk like I used to be.  After a few months I tried to start eating whole wheat bread, and would you not know it I got all irritable, and lazy, and just plain lazy and unhappy in about a week.  Once I went off it again all that went away.  Has this happened for others?  It is amazing to me that what I eat can change me so much.  My wife is feeling better than ever as well, but she was always the nice one, so she didn't need an attitude change like I did :)

Thanks, 

David. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

lolz david, she was nice enough to marry you, right?  ;)

have you ever been tested?  some people don't have the Big Noticable Symptoms (silent celiac) - i have noticed a huge change in my attitude and ambition being off gluten.  gluten always made me physically sick, but if i get zapped accidentally, i turn into the biggest JERK almost immediately.  it has become one of my warning signs......

and you ARE a good husband :)  mine is supportive, too, and it makes a huge difference.  huge.  welcome to the forum :)

srall Contributor

In addition to many other symptoms, my rage and anxiety were pretty bad on gluten.  

You're a great husband!  I wish my husband would give gluten free a trial.  

GFinDC Veteran

Hi David,

Yes, gluten can have big affects on personality.  People can have no digestive symptoms and still have celiac disease.  Some people only have joint pain, or skin rashes, or nerve issues, depression, or this, or that, and the other too.  It is a very variable disease symptoms wise.  There are also people who have NCGI, which doesn't show up on celiac disease tests.  Actually more of them than there are actual celiacs.  If you search for gluten and opiate there are research articles on the link between gluten and brain receptors.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Short temper thread
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/34917-anger-quick-temper-depression/

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article
https://www.celiac.com/articles/23033/1/Non-Celiac-Wheat-Sensitivity-It-Exists/Page1.html

Innate immune response in AI diseases
https://www.celiac.com/articles/23149/1/Gliadin-Triggers-Innate-Immune-Reaction-in-Celiac-and-Non-celiac-Individuals/Page1.html

frieze Community Regular

hey Dave, you are a member of the club....welcome...

DavidB73 Newbie

Thanks guys.  I get the bloating and twisted up feeling bowels as well if I eat gluten.  I had those problems about as long as I remember.  I just figured it was normal.  It's nice to know now that it was not normal.  I wish I had gone Gluten free long ago.  I just miss Pizza (cause Gluten free crust is bad) and Biscuits and Gravy haha.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Hey David, pop on over to the baking section, there are often suggestions for pizza bases, ane there was a biscuits thread a few weeks ago :)

We also have chat going on amongst the what's for dinner chat along with food ideas and recipes...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cavernio Enthusiast

You can TOTALLY make gravy from scratch gluten free...well, provided you aren't a super-sensitive celiac. Roast drippings, (put hot water in the bottom of the pan and then scrap it clean to get as much flavor!) a bit of starch...corn, tapioca, or potato, water, maybe some salt, heat in on the stovetop and whisk continually until thickened. If you are having dairy you can add a bit of butter or use some milk, but it's not necessary. I find that a roast chicken makes the most 'standard' gravy taste, the taste closest to what you'd get in most restaurants.

I've made some safe-for-me gravy using buckwheat flour. My husband loved it, I didn't even really like it.

I've also eaten some pretty delicious biscuits, but I'm not a good bread/biscuit maker, so no hints there from me.

My favorite gluten-free pizza crust was O'doughs, didn't care for other types.

GFinDC Veteran

Did somebody say biscuits?  Make your own, takes a couple minutes is all.  They can be browned in an oven or over a gas flame on a stove top.  Kinickinick makes gluten-free bagels and buns.

You sound like many of us David.  Sick for many years and not knowing why or what for etc.  Ah well, all we can do is go forward from here.  And that's not a bad thing! :)  Much more productive than going backwards  IMHO.

Easy yummy bread in minutes
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/56641-easy-yummy-bread-in-minutes/

Archived