8 replies to this topic

#1 DavidB73

DavidB73

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

Hi everyone.  My wife has recently been diagnosed with Celiac, and being the good husband that I am I went Gluten free with her.  I have got to say, not only do a I feel better that I have in many years, it seems that by not eating Gluten it changes who I am completely.  Within a month of giving up Gluten I was no longer just wanting to sit around and do nothing, my temper was no longer short.  I felt much happier about life, and am just not a big jerk like I used to be.  After a few months I tried to start eating whole wheat bread, and would you not know it I got all irritable, and lazy, and just plain lazy and unhappy in about a week.  Once I went off it again all that went away.  Has this happened for others?  It is amazing to me that what I eat can change me so much.  My wife is feeling better than ever as well, but she was always the nice one, so she didn't need an attitude change like I did :)

Thanks, 

David. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

lolz david, she was nice enough to marry you, right?  ;)

have you ever been tested?  some people don't have the Big Noticable Symptoms (silent celiac) - i have noticed a huge change in my attitude and ambition being off gluten.  gluten always made me physically sick, but if i get zapped accidentally, i turn into the biggest JERK almost immediately.  it has become one of my warning signs......

and you ARE a good husband :)  mine is supportive, too, and it makes a huge difference.  huge.  welcome to the forum :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

In addition to many other symptoms, my rage and anxiety were pretty bad on gluten.  

You're a great husband!  I wish my husband would give gluten free a trial.  

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

Hi David,

Yes, gluten can have big affects on personality.  People can have no digestive symptoms and still have celiac disease.  Some people only have joint pain, or skin rashes, or nerve issues, depression, or this, or that, and the other too.  It is a very variable disease symptoms wise.  There are also people who have NCGI, which doesn't show up on celiac disease tests.  Actually more of them than there are actual celiacs.  If you search for gluten and opiate there are research articles on the link between gluten and brain receptors.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Short temper thread
http://www.celiac.co...per-depression/

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article
http://www.celiac.co...ists/Page1.html

Innate immune response in AI diseases
http://www.celiac.co...uals/Page1.html

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

hey Dave, you are a member of the club....welcome...

#6 DavidB73

DavidB73

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

Thanks guys.  I get the bloating and twisted up feeling bowels as well if I eat gluten.  I had those problems about as long as I remember.  I just figured it was normal.  It's nice to know now that it was not normal.  I wish I had gone Gluten free long ago.  I just miss Pizza (cause Gluten free crust is bad) and Biscuits and Gravy haha.

#7 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hey David, pop on over to the baking section, there are often suggestions for pizza bases, ane there was a biscuits thread a few weeks ago :)

We also have chat going on amongst the what's for dinner chat along with food ideas and recipes...
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#8 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

You can TOTALLY make gravy from scratch gluten free...well, provided you aren't a super-sensitive celiac. Roast drippings, (put hot water in the bottom of the pan and then scrap it clean to get as much flavor!) a bit of starch...corn, tapioca, or potato, water, maybe some salt, heat in on the stovetop and whisk continually until thickened. If you are having dairy you can add a bit of butter or use some milk, but it's not necessary. I find that a roast chicken makes the most 'standard' gravy taste, the taste closest to what you'd get in most restaurants.

I've made some safe-for-me gravy using buckwheat flour. My husband loved it, I didn't even really like it.

I've also eaten some pretty delicious biscuits, but I'm not a good bread/biscuit maker, so no hints there from me.

My favorite gluten-free pizza crust was O'doughs, didn't care for other types.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#9 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Did somebody say biscuits?  Make your own, takes a couple minutes is all.  They can be browned in an oven or over a gas flame on a stove top.  Kinickinick makes gluten-free bagels and buns.

You sound like many of us David.  Sick for many years and not knowing why or what for etc.  Ah well, all we can do is go forward from here.  And that's not a bad thing! :)  Much more productive than going backwards  IMHO.

Easy yummy bread in minutes
http://www.celiac.co...ead-in-minutes/

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: