8 replies to this topic

#1 kkcg2736

kkcg2736

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

I have 2 children and very new to this.  My daughter was diagnosed with Celiacs after a very long bout with fatigue, stomach aches, urgency to go to the bathroom, and anemia.  As she tested positive (blood and endo). My son had the bloodwork done and he had very high levels, so it's assumed he has it as well.  He was experiencing differnt symptoms of headaches, joint/muscle pain, constipation and stomaches.  They are 6 and 7.

My son is still complining of headaches and muscle pain..and both have belly discomfort a few times a week.  I did get a new toaster, very carefully about cross contamination but have not replaced pots/pans/plastic kitchen wear.  Do you think I have hidden gluten in my kitchen?

Seems ice cream is bothing my son as well, but the labels do not contain gluten ingrediants, can I trust foods/labels that are not gluten-free certified?  Can Lactose cause stomach aches?

All input in welcome and appreciated.  Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

Many people find they have difficulties with dairy after going gluten-free so that could be the issue. It could be cross contamination as well.  What about mayo or butter containers? Have those all been replaced?  

How long have they been gluten-free?

As for trusting "gluten free" labels, that term is not regulated in the US so anyone can say they are gluten-free but don't need to actually test for it.  Some companies are better about it than others.

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

You need to read the Newbie 101 thread, plus as many other threads here as possible. There are many places that gluten can hide and even though it's hard to believe at first, just the tinyest bit of gluten can cause damage.

Also, be aware that if the kids have it, both you and your husband should be tested. There is a very good chance that they inherited it from one of you.

Ask lots of questions. We're here to help. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

I have 2 children and very new to this.  My daughter was diagnosed with Celiacs after a very long bout with fatigue, stomach aches, urgency to go to the bathroom, and anemia.  As she tested positive (blood and endo). My son had the bloodwork done and he had very high levels, so it's assumed he has it as well.  He was experiencing differnt symptoms of headaches, joint/muscle pain, constipation and stomaches.  They are 6 and 7.

My son is still complining of headaches and muscle pain..and both have belly discomfort a few times a week.  I did get a new toaster, very carefully about cross contamination but have not replaced pots/pans/plastic kitchen wear.  Do you think I have hidden gluten in my kitchen?

Seems ice cream is bothing my son as well, but the labels do not contain gluten ingrediants, can I trust foods/labels that are not gluten-free certified?  Can Lactose cause stomach aches?

All input in welcome and appreciated.  Thank you

I agree about the Newbie 101 thread!  My celiac disease was symptom free other than having thryoiditis and anemia.  No intestinal issues at all until I glutened out prior to my getting scoped.  My husband has been gluten-free for 12 years, so with my recent diagnosis, I made my house as gluten-free as possible!   It's much easier on all of us (a 12 yr. old daughter) and since your children are so young, there will be less chance of them consuming gluten.  If you and your husband want to eat gluten (then do it on your date night), but chances are one of you may have celiac disease and your health might improve as well.  

I'd give up the dairy for now until there's some healing.  Or your son could be like me and just be allergic to milk proteins.  

Good luck!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 kkcg2736

kkcg2736

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

They have been gluten free for about 6 weeks, my daughter a week before my son. 

We were all tested and my husband and I tested negative!?

I will go to the newbie 101, thank you.

I try some lactose free ice cream with him and see if that helps.

Many thanks to all!

#6 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

It's pretty early in the game so it really could be anything. It does take some time for things to be 100% better.  I would just keep an eye on things like condiments, shared counters and stuff like that as well.

It can be overwhelming at first for sure so be gentile with yourself! It's a big adjustment for sure.  A new toaster was 100% the right things to do.  If you aren't going to make the whole house gluten-free, it may be to your advantage to make at least one counter gluten-free. That was what we did before we went virtually gluten-free (DH and  I have a snack cabinet that we have some crackers and stuff in but we don't have bread or anything anymore).  If you can spare the area it really did free up my comfort zone when I was doing meal prep.

Glad you and your DH were tested. It's been almost 3 years here and my DH has not gotten tested cause he's an idiot. I strongly suspect that it was from HIS side of the family as they have many many of the S&S of Celiac but of course if he won't get tested, no one on that side will. 

We're here to help if we can.  Hopefully you will figure out what's up and everyone will be feeling well ASAP!

#7 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Glad you and your DH were tested. It's been almost 3 years here and my DH has not gotten tested cause he's an idiot. 

:lol:

If the kids continue to have stomach issues while consuming lactose free dairy, you might even want to drop all dairy for a few months. It won't hurt them it will just be a habit to break.

And I agree that there is a good chance of cc in your home unless you are very careful. Old sugar containers that may have been double dipped with wheat flour, baking soda or powder, some spices, cocoa, jam, peanut butter, condiments, cutting boards, spatulas should all be double checked for possibility of cc. Gluten can lurk in unexpected spots.  :ph34r: Don't forget to check ingredients on stuff like condiments, soy sauce, worchestershire sauce and others.

The classic symptoms of celiac disease that your daughter has seem to often clear up first. The more atypical symptoms like that of your son tend to linger in many people - I am still having problems with some of it almost a year later - so he may be forced to endure his symptoms a bit longer unfortunately (this is from my own observations). Hopeful his youth will act in his favour and he'll have a speedy recovery.

Welcome to the board.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#8 kkcg2736

kkcg2736

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

Thank you everyone!

We have moved the gluten-free foods to one cupboard so the kids know that all of this is gluten-free, enjoy.  My husband's Pringles and Pretzel stash is in a higher cupboard they can not reach.  That stuff is only brought out when they are not home or asleep - we'd feel guilty chowing gluten in front of them.

Today I purchased new spatulas, wooden spoons, colander, cutting board, tupperware, pizza cutter and rolling pin.  Do I have to replace my cookie sheets and baking pans, metal and VERY used?  Will baking with Parchment paper work so the food does not touch the sheet?  The wheat flour is gone and I did dump the sugar.  My condiments are all of the squeezable variety, which they do not like anyhow.  Ranch dressing they do like and now Annie's cowgirl ranch is only available.

What I need is a fantastic sandwich bread.  I've attempted "gluten-free on a Shoestring" sandwich bread recipe but it hasn't turned out great yet.  My son was a diehard PB&J kid.  Any recommendations?

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Udi's is the best we can find but even then, they prefer it as toast.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: