Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Out There Had Issues With Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk Or Any Applegate Farms Products?

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 DrivenOne

DrivenOne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

I purchased the grassfed beef hotdogs and I think I'm beginning to feel symptoms flaring up. Has anyone had any issues with their products? I also purchased Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk -- so that is a possibility as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

I'm not sure what the grass feed hot dogs are, or what brand to identify them.  And I don't do Silk, so...I guess I'm not too helpful, but attentive. :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

Not sure about the Silk products, but I have never had a problem with any of the Applegate Farms products.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

The applegate hotdogs are gluten free.

Silk. Whitewave Foods, the company that revolutionized the soy milk industry, also makes almond milk and coconut milk in refrigerated cartons and shelf-stable unrefrigerated boxes. Flavors include original, vanilla, dark chocolate and unsweetened. Silk nut milk products contain no gluten ingredients. However, Silk does not test for gluten cross-contamination in its products, although it does state that "we do not make our products using any wheat, wheat gluten, rye, oat, barley or malt ingredients. Our facilities do not handle or receive these ingredients in their operations so we would not expect the presence of them in our products." The bottom line: Use caution when considering Silk nut milk products.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Silk. Whitewave Foods, the company that revolutionized the soy milk industry, also makes almond milk and coconut milk in refrigerated cartons and shelf-stable unrefrigerated boxes. Flavors include original, vanilla, dark chocolate and unsweetened. Silk nut milk products contain no gluten ingredients. However, Silk does not test for gluten cross-contamination in its products, although it does state that "we do not make our products using any wheat, wheat gluten, rye, oat, barley or malt ingredients. Our facilities do not handle or receive these ingredients in their operations so we would not expect the presence of them in our products." The bottom line: Use caution when considering Silk nut milk products.

Those sound very safe. They use no gluten in any of their production & packaging facilities. They don't test and add that cost on to the product.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Those sound very safe. They use no gluten in any of their production & packaging facilities. They don't test and add that cost on to the product.

I agree. No worries there.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Testing, and passing that cost on to the consumer would be positively moronic, when they say flat out that they handle absolutely no gluten containing ingredients. What they are saying is that they are making a product that is naturally gluten free, and therefore testing would be a complete and utter waste of everyone's money. No caution needed.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Testing, and passing that cost on to the consumer would be positively moronic, when they say flat out that they handle absolutely no gluten containing ingredients. What they are saying is that they are making a product that is naturally gluten free, and therefore testing would be a complete and utter waste of everyone's money. No caution needed.

Amen, Sister!

I would like to point out that many companies, under just a " no gluten ingredients but maybe shared machinery" would have said a product is gluten-free. Silk could legally call their product gluten free.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#9 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

It depends on your level of sensitivity.  I found that I needed to keep track of what I ate, and stop eating it if it bothered me.  Just because someone else was able to eat it did not mean that I was able to eat it.

That was a painful lesson to learn.  It isn't true for everyone, but if it is true for you, you need to be informed.

I did have problems with Silk products, but I am in the "super sensitive" category..

#10 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

I drink a lot of Silk Almond milk. I love the Chocolate. I drink some of their milk pretty nearly everyday since being diagnosed 3 years ago this coming November. I have tried Coconut milk and another brand of Almond milk but I love Silk Almond the best. I'm pretty certain they are safe.

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#11 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

It depends on your level of sensitivity.  I found that I needed to keep track of what I ate, and stop eating it if it bothered me.  Just because someone else was able to eat it did not mean that I was able to eat it.

That was a painful lesson to learn.  It isn't true for everyone, but if it is true for you, you need to be informed.

I did have problems with Silk products, but I am in the "super sensitive" category..

That's awful I'm so sorry!!! When in doubt I stay away from stuff so I agree with you the poster might need to stay clear of this product. I've not had any problems myself.  

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#12 bambino716

bambino716

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

We have had problems with Silk almondmilk.  It took me a couple days to figure out where the problem was coming from, but we finally figured it had to be the milk.  We usually use Almond Breeze, but we got Silk because it was on sale and my son (three years old) was SO sick all of a sudden.  He is very sensitive, so that may be it.   I know we have had it in the past, though, with no problems.  Maybe a batch got contaminated somehow?  I don't know, but I do know that I hate seeing him crying and writhing with stomach pain!  Poor guy!  As for applegate farms, we have never had an issue.  We have had the turkey dogs and turkey bacon. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: