Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Kinnikinnick Angel Food Cake Mix

12 posts in this topic

I ordered four boxes of Kinnikinnick Angel Food Cake Mix, since I have not had my favorite cake in over six years and it's strawberry season here.

I am a bit dismayed when the additional ingredients call for 12 egg whites.  Not a worry about the egg whites, but what to do with a dozen egg yokes. Any suggestions?

I must have this cake with sugared strawberries and the juice and whipped cream and it summer and stuff.

Ads by Google:

Last time I made angel food cake I made lemon curd to top it with and ice cream with my yolks. You don't need an ice cream maker to make ice cream, just patience and an alarm to remind you to check on it frequently.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lemon-curd-recipe/index.html

1st - you totally do not need to buy a mix for this sort of cake.  It's flour and sugar, and most flours work just fine.

2nd - when I did angel food cupcakes for my daughter's second birthday, I used the egg yolks to make homemade ice cream.  it was super yummy, and goes well with strawberries and angel food cake. ;)

We bought this mix last week at Green market, it was super yummy.

If you think the mix is good, try homemade - just as easy and more delicious!  I did a taste test. 

My favourite way to use egg yolks is in Zabaglione.  I sometimes throw in an extra couple of yolks into frittatas.  My husband would say chocolate pots de creme would be his first pick.  They are fantastic!  And don't forget Hollandaise.

I think I would just buy the egg whites in a carton and use what the package calls for...seems like it would be cheaper since you wouldn't be having to find a use for all the yolks.

I think I would just buy the egg whites in a carton and use what the package calls for...seems like it would be cheaper since you wouldn't be having to find a use for all the yolks.

I appreciate all the suggestions and have put some to use. But, this is by far the most practical use/method ever!  Duh... Thank you so must for that suggestion Karichelle! ;)   Some times we (or I) get too far into the forest to see the trees. :rolleyes:

I appreciate all the suggestions and have put some to use. But, this is by far the most practical use/method ever!  Duh... Thank you so must for that suggestion Karichelle! ;)   Some times we (or I) get too far into the forest to see the trees. :rolleyes:

Egg whites in a carton won't work.  Carton egg whites (by law) must be pasteurized.  The process of heating them for pateurization prevents them from being able to form stiff peaks when beating them to incorporate air.  (And I have verified this by personal experience. It really doesn't work.)

There's chemistry for ya!

Egg whites in a carton won't work.  Carton egg whites (by law) must be pasteurized.  The process of heating them for pateurization prevents them from being able to form stiff peaks when beating them to incorporate air.  (And I have verified this by personal experience. It really doesn't work.)

There's chemistry for ya!

I have used that cake mix with egg whites quite a few times and it turned out fine each time. It's possible I am buying unpasteurized egg whites (I never noticed) but egg whites from a carton can work.

That is my boys' favourite type of cake - puffy sugar cake. Yummy.  LOL

A regular cake can use eggs in a carton. Angel food cake is functionally different from a standard cake, and relies upon creating a matrix of egg protein and air to have its height and texture. If you've managed to whip carton egg whites into stiff peaks, well, more power to you, and congrats!