2 replies to this topic

#1 Junior Chef

Junior Chef

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

We were at Aldi yesterday and noticed something new in the freezer section. They (or at least my store) are now carrying SimplyNature Gluten Free Pancakes. Needless to say, I was VERY excited about seeing these, since I'd never seen anything like this at Aldi before. A box has 12 silver dollar size pancakes, and I think they were about $2.89. So, we got some, and I couldn't wait to try them--pancakes aren't something we've had a lot of success making. There's instructions on the box for microwaving or heating in the oven. I microwaved mine and they were amazing. Maybe slightly rubbery, but once I put butter and syrup on them it was good.

Note: these aren't certified gluten free, but they at least didn't have any warnings about being processed with wheat.

Then we went to Walmart and found gluten-free chicken strips (Purdue, I think). Got home and saw the news about Pillsbury's gluten free stuff. I love days like that! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Renaye

Renaye

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

I shop at Aldi all the time.  I was wondering how safe the food is that says gluten free.  I generally don't have bad gi reactions, so I don't know. 

Renaye

Positive DGP IgG & DGP IgA, negative biopsy, HLA typing unable to interpret, sicca syndrome, positive ANA, low WBC count, intolerant to peanuts, eggs, dairy, IBS-C, GERD.

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Welcome to you both...Labeled Gluten Free is generally safe.  If you have a concern google an item...plus gluten-free....I did this transition a few years back so there were not as many labeled items...but the rule is still pretty simple...like this:

"Kraft Ranch Dressing Gluten" in your search engine....read other's posts and if doubt remains....contact the manufacturer -- i prefer email so i receive a written response...but phone works to.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: