Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Glutened By Restaurant- Is It Fair To Ask For Money Back?

11 posts in this topic

It was a gluten free pasta dish and I gave them my celiac dining card. Is that fair to ask for my money back? I was glutened quite badly- been sick for the past 6 days.

You can always ask. Not sure how you could prove it. Might have been better if you had contacted the manager on day one rather than day 6 or 7. They might have been able to check what happened and who cooked, etc and corrected any mistakes.

I see a fair number of restaurants say right on the menu that they handle gluten containing ingredients in the kitchen and that while they will take every precaution they can not guarantee that there will absolutely not be CC. In this sort of instance you would automatically be SOL as they would probably point that out to you and tell you they are very sorry but eating out is a risk.

We should always remember before dining out that it is a risk. How much of one really depends on the place we go, the staff and the dialogue we create with the staff to ensure a safe meal. We need to be part of a team when we dine out in educating those handling our food if necessary to be sure we eat safely. Just because a gluten free menu exists, doesn't mean the staff has a clue.

I do agree that it having been a week makes it a bit dicier. Personally, I would know before I left a restaurant if I were gotten. I would speak with the staff, make sure they understood the seriousness of the situation and probably expect not to pay for my meal as I would be spending a fair amount of time on my way home stopping to use bathrooms. If for any reason I had to contact them later, and I would to let them know there was some sort of mix up so they could prevent it from happening again. I would certainly not complain if I could get a gift card or something, because under most circumstances I believe people deserve second chances. Or I could at least give it as a Christmas gift, no matter how tacky people may think that is.

I had one very  bad experience early on after my DX and I  contacted the restaurant the week after and asked to speak with the chef or manager. Now, this is an upscale place we have gone to  for our anniversary for many years and they have a G F menu.  I  did not expect anything.

I just wanted to alert them that their "G F Flourless Chocolate cake"...was not good enough for a celiac because I was sick

as a dog for a week after I ate it.

I KNOW it was not the meal (they have a dedicated section in the kitcehn) but as it turns out, their desserts were not made on 

the premises,  So, it was probably a CC issue in the bakery.

The chef was stunned to know that the dessert may have been the problem. He apologized  profusely after reassuring me many times his kitchen had dedicated spaces and it was inspected to be  "G F Friendly". I said " yes, yes I know, Louis...believe me, it was the dessert!!

but you cannot say on the dessert menu "G F" when you cannot source the item.

So, he sent me a &$25. gift certificate and asked me to come and look at his kitchen space.  I did not care about getting the gift certificate  as I figure any time we dine out, we are playing Russian roulette and I cannot expect anything just because I have celiac.

But, really, but it was very nice of him.

He asked me a dozen questions and told me this: "We took a G F certification course, But I learned more about cross contamination and celiac  from you in this conversation! so, thanks".

You may not get anything back, but you may be able to enlighten them. And that's a very good thing..

I recently called a restaurant where this happened to me.  They were so nice and attentive and helpful when I told them my issue, and assured me that my steak was gluten free -  I'm guessing that the issue was the marinade on the steak.  It tasted too good and was probably marinated in soy sauce.  I wanted to alert them that soy sauce is not gluten free.  After a lot of lip service, they basically dismissed me.

I'm a firm believer that you get what you get when you eat out.  And most time you need to plan ahead and do your homework.

I live in a small town,with a restaurant who is not too willing to explore gluten free options for their clients. I DO know what to order, as we do weekly.  Most waitresses know me, others are new, but attentive. Friday evening, I ordered a Ceasar Salad without bread or croutons.  It arrived with hushpuppies.........why does the kitchen make choices for me???  I sent it back, and our server said to the facilitator  , "just take them off". I was not happy.  Our waitress knows me well.

While I did not request my money back, the tip was greatly reduced, and I intend to talk to the proprietor. (translateed:  Ginny was a bitch and I seriously will talk to Brian about this)! <_<

I'm a firm believer that you get what you get when you eat out.  And most time you need to plan ahead and do your homework.

I live in a small town,with a restaurant who is not too willing to explore gluten free options for their clients. I DO know what to order, as we do weekly.  Most waitresses know me, others are new, but attentive. Friday evening, I ordered a Ceasar Salad without bread or croutons.  It arrived with hushpuppies.........why does the kitchen make choices for me???  I sent it back, and our server said to the facilitator  , "just take them off". I was not happy.  Our waitress knows me well.

While I did not request my money back, the tip was greatly reduced, and I intend to talk to the proprietor. (translateed:  Ginny was a bitch and I seriously will talk to Brian about this)! <_<

Next time accept it and put a sugar packet in the bottom. Then give it back. Even if the waitress sees you do it. That keeps you from getting a salad with crumbs

I guess you can try for a refund but they will either say 'you cant prove you were sick because of us' or ' if your that sensitive you shouldn't put faith in other people prepare your food'. If I were you I would just let them know be more careful for the sake of future celiacs who eat there. And don't eat there again, yourself.

Next time accept it and put a sugar packet in the bottom. Then give it back. Even if the waitress sees you do it. That keeps you from getting a salad with crumbs

I don't understand this - Maybe I'm not thinking creatively, but how does this work?

I don't understand this - Maybe I'm not thinking creatively, but how does this work?

Someone gives you a salad with a breadstick or croutons or other gluten laden stuff on it. You send it back. Some places will just take the bread off and bring you the same salad back. But how would you know? You have hidden a sugar packet in the bottom of the bowl! This is the time to call the manager over. If you are given a steak with a piece of bread on the plate, cut the steak in half before sending it back so you don't get the same steak back.

Someone gives you a salad with a breadstick or croutons or other gluten laden stuff on it. You send it back. Some places will just take the bread off and bring you the same salad back. But how would you know? You have hidden a sugar packet in the bottom of the bowl! This is the time to call the manager over. If you are given a steak with a piece of bread on the plate, cut the steak in half before sending it back so you don't get the same steak back.

Ahhhh. Very clever! I like these. Thanks.