Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Dermatologist Appointment Next Week, Biopsy?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 SeekingSarah

SeekingSarah

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Celiac panel was negative:

Deamidated gliadin peptide antibody IgG ELISA: <4.9 EU/mL Mine: 0.6
Deamidated gliadin peptide antibody IgA ELISA: <6.1 EU/mL  Mine: 1.3
Anti-human tTG IgA ELISA: <10.3 U/mL Mine : 1.0
Anti-endomysial IgA IFA: Negative Negative
Total serum IgA: < 3 years: 8-220 mg/dL; 3-13 years: 41-395 mg/dL; >13 years: 44-441 mg/dL Mine: 470 (or 410 ugh can't make it out clear enough to be confident) I realize either number indicates there was enough serum in my blood to make the other results accurate.

My SED Rate was 65 range was 0-20.

I postponed my follow up with GI until after I see Dermatologist and get the skin rash biopsied. I currently have rash on face around mouth, forehead/hairline, back of neck/hairline and upper back. Will they biopsy in all areas...I know make sure they take biopsy adjacent to lesion. Anyone have suggestions how to ask/tell them that so as to not offend their skills/knowledge but to ensure it is done correctly?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

I would tell the doctor that ice read about the procedure and ask them to describe step by step what they will do. Ask about how they determine the clear skin, the solution, etc. Take the guidelines with you to show if there are questions.

http://m.arupconsult...petiformis.html
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 SeekingSarah

SeekingSarah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

I didn't have this test right? I know WIKI isn't the best reference but the exercise induced breathing made me go hmmmmm.

Anti-gliadin IgE [edit]

The IgE antibodies are more typically found in allergy-related conditions such as urticariaasthma, and wheat-dependent exercise-induced anaphylaxis. The target of the most allergenic antibodies is ω-5 gliadin,[8] which is encoded by the Gli-1B gene found on the B haplome (Aegilops speltoides derived) of wheat.[

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

It doesn't look like it.

Question. Have you been tested for Hashimotos Disease or tested for hypothyroidism? Both can cause exercise tolerance issues.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 SeekingSarah

SeekingSarah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

All I know is as recent as August my thyroid levels were "normal". My mother, sister, and aunt (goiter removed) have thyroid issues. Have had recent cycle issues, I see my gyn this month also for annual and am going to be sure thyroid is looked into further than just the basic level testing.

#6 SeekingSarah

SeekingSarah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

NP said "well if the blood test were negative? then why test?" 

Hmmmmm how about you should biopsy a persistent skin rash in general before you go prescribing medication??? So then the doctor comes in and says she has two other patients with DH and my rash is not the areas that DH presents. Really...currently on face, neck, back, scalp...scars on arms and chest from past issues??? Not many other areas left???

Scolding me for scratching...that's why they aren't healing...use this medication for 14 days so the areas can heal. Ok...so I ask...this will heal the areas, but will it stop new spots from developing? "If new spots occur put medication on them and DON'T SCRATCH". Ok so if medication is so strong I can only use it for 14 days...what happens after that? 

It's like I'm asking for a full body scan or something radical and expensive???? Skin biopsy...in office procedure.

So do I try to find another doctor...I mean how do you know until you get there? I don't want to waste more time and $ going to doctors who will refuse to actually DX something...I say that again because why not biopsy to see WHAT it is...of course by her ignorance on the matter I figured she'd have not done the biopsy correctly anyway. 

OR do I just cut out gluten and see what happens? I haven't gone back to GI yet because I was going to see what the skin biopsy results were. He was certain it was "just IBS" but at least he ordered the Celiac panel which was negative. 

PCP in FL (I'm back in OH), is concerned with SED rate of 65, normal is under 20...she wants to know what my doctors here are saying is the reason...um yeah the doctors HERE suck and have not said anything about...she would like it checked again got see if it's still high. I told her I'd try...but doctors around here don't seem to like educated patients

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: