17 replies to this topic

#16 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

nope, shadowicewolf, you are correct  :)

mushroom gave me the info, and here is the link to the Dr. Fasano article

http://www.glutenfre...o_interview.pdf

it starts at the bottom of p. 42.  problem is he doesn't list DGP as one of the tests because this article was from 2010  <_<

Didn't the top researcher (or someone) for celiac do this guideline:

If you have 4 out of the 5, then you have celiac:

Symptoms on gluten diet

Symptoms resolve off gluten diet (positive response)

Positive blood test

Positive genetic test

Positive Biopsy

I could be wrong...

Edited by powerofpositivethinking, 12 May 2013 - 03:23 PM.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

i found this article on pub med

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21063208

maybe I need to ask to have my slides reevaluated since there wasn't actually anything written on my report regarding Marsh scale or IELs.  All it stated was, "Biopsy, duodenum: duodenal mucosa with no pathologic change; no evidence of celiac disease identified." 

maybe their definition of no evidence of celiac disease is I didn't have total villous atrophy.  if there were uniform tests and standards, it would make it a lot easier :) should I ask my doctor first if they tested for IELs, or should I try calling the lab to see what they did, and if they'll release that information?

i'll wait to see my blood test results next month, but since I don't live that far from Philadelphia, there are actually two dedicated celiac centers in the region...

Edited by powerofpositivethinking, 14 May 2013 - 03:28 AM.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

#18 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

as I was searching the Chicago Celiac Center website, and I inputted DGP, this now the first link that appears:

http://www.curecelia...-celiac-disease

even though it doesn't clearly answer the question, it's the name of a test I got a positive on three times, and I can send this link to family members to help back me up.  oh happy day  :)

so I sent the following e-mail back in April when I had just found out I had a negative biopsy to UCCDC, and wanted to share my questions and the responses I've received.

Questions:

is it possible to include in your FAQ section an answer explaining exactly
what Deamidated gliadin peptides are in layman's terms? I have seen it
written in very scientific terms, but a simple explanation on your website
would be a great addition. thanks for your consideration.

Are raised DGP igG levels thought to be a first sign of early celiac? If it
was only gluten intolerance, your body shouldn't be producing any type of
antibodies, correct? I recently had high DGP igG levels, but a negative
biopsy. Is there any current research being conducted regarding a high DGP
score with a negative ttG score, and if that means you are on your way to
developing full blown celiac disease? thank you.

Responses: 

To the first point:  

Elevated DGP antibodies are often seen in celiac patients on a gluten-containing diet. They appear to have exactly the same value of the more established TTG-IgA antibody, and offer no advantage over TTG. However, it appears that in the very young child (i.e. in the first 2 years of life) with celiac disease DGP are a better test.

To the second point:

Correct: if it was only gluten intolerance (now we call it "non-celiac gluten sensitivity") DGP shouldn't be present. We are not aware of any research showing that a high DGP score with a negative ttG may represent early-onset celiac. A negative TTG and a negative biopsy essentialy do rule out celiac. Why is DGP-IgG elevated then? I don't know: but no test is - if taken alone - 100% diagnostic of anything in medicine.

*start rant-I will say I appreciate the honesty in saying they do not know why the DGP-IgG was elevated, but if no single test is diagnostic in medicine, why do they tell people they have HIV after giving them a screening test?  maybe because it has a high sensitivity and specificity, just like the DGP  :P  I truly wish they would do more research and studies on the DGP tests related to adults instead of only children-end rant*

Happy weekend, everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: