2 replies to this topic

#1 jwblue

jwblue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

I just ordered a Celiac panel blood test.

There are instructions on the webpage for the test that state the following.

Reminder: Be sure to fast for 10-12 hours prior to blood draw. You may drink water or black coffee during your fast. In additon, it is recommended that you refrain from vigorous excercise 24-48 hours prior to your blood draw. If you currently take medications, please stay on your current schedule.

Everywhere I have read says that fasting before a Celiac blood test is not necessary.  I think the instructions above are general for all blood tests.

Someone mentioned in another thread that it is good to eat the "equivalent of four slices of bread a day for 12 weeks". Someone mentioned 2 slices.  How much gluten is in 2 or 4 slices of bread?  What exactly would be equivalent?  I do eat pasta 2x a week.

If I would to eat a lot of flour products a few days before the test, would a more accurate diagnosis be likely?

Everyday I eat a bread called Ezeloe; 4:9.  It is a sprouted grain bread.  The website says the following about the gluten content.

Q: Are Food for Life sprouted grain foods "gluten free"?

A: No. Food for Life breads contain naturally occurring gluten. However, our unique sprouting process activates enzymes, which naturally metabolize starch, carbohydrates and gluten protein. This may explain why so many gluten sensitive people may tolerate sprouted grains.

Since the gluten is metabolized, does that mean it would affect the blood test diagnosis whether I have Celiac?  Should I eat regular bread instead?

I can surmise the answers to these questions.  I would appreciate any responses, but would like to know if the answers are surmises or based on fact.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

i had to fast before mine, but they were also doing other tests and drawing all the blood at the same time.  no idea if you should eat more gluten or not since you haven't gone gluten free already.  i'm thinking the extra bread was only if you had been gluten free and re-introducing it for testing purposes.  i went gluten free before my celiac testing and my doctor advised (since i was feeling a million times better and that i was so malnourished and underweight) that i did not return to eating gluten or even risk a gluten challenge.  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 jwblue

jwblue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

i had to fast before mine, but they were also doing other tests and drawing all the blood at the same time.  no idea if you should eat more gluten or not since you haven't gone gluten free already.  i'm thinking the extra bread was only if you had been gluten free and re-introducing it for testing purposes.  i went gluten free before my celiac testing and my doctor advised (since i was feeling a million times better and that i was so malnourished and underweight) that i did not return to eating gluten or even risk a gluten challenge.  

Excellent point about re-introducting for testing purposes.  I imagine a regular diet would have enough gluten.  Although, I might switch breads to a flour based.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: