Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Are The Chances?

7 posts in this topic

My 5 year old daughter was recently diagnosed after positive bloodwork and then confirmed with endoscopy. However, I also have 4 other children who the GI dr said to have tested. What are the chances that more than 1 of my 5 will be positive for this disease?

Thanks in advance!

Brittany

Ads by Google:

Chances are good. And both you and their father should be tested too.

I was told my children had a 50 % chance of carrying the gene.  But that was based on the information that I am 4/4 alleles for Celiac.  I would say you might need more information.

I was told my children had a 50 % chance of carrying the gene.  But that was based on the information that I am 4/4 alleles for Celiac.  I would say you might need more information.

Well we went ahead and had the blood draws for them done yesterday, I am just trying to gauge the likelihood. My husband and I haven't been tested yet. I'm a bit overwhelmed but we see a dietician at childrens hospital on the 24th so I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible by that time.

Just because a person has the gene(s) doesn't mean that they will develop celiac.

It's great that you are finding this early on in your kids so that they have a chance at a healthy future.

If your kids test negative, keep in mind that they should be retested every opulent of years because celiac disease can develop at any time and often goes symptomless.

Good luck with the tests.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Mnoosh, I had swollen lymph nodes prior to celiac dx and for a while after going gluten free. My neck as well as groin. The groin ones were the worst. Guess what? All gone! It's hard to recall a time line & consider that everyone is different but I think mine completely resolved within a year.  You've been given great information. Just breathe and then again, breathe. You're going to be fine. 
    • It is the only thing you have eaten, so it can't be anything else?  I eat it with no issues so I am not sure how you can be certain that is the problem.  All I am saying is that its sort of "your word against mine and the company's word".  
    • Thanks cyclinglady & manasota! I appreciate it. I came to give an update...... I'm still 99% itch free. I get a "place" like a bug bite once in a while that itches and I just use the prescription steroid cream on it & that takes care of the itch. My rash is healing up rapidly everywhere. Almost clear skin now! Yaaaaayyyyyyyyyy! Now for a rundown of the "treatment". For 20 days I took a 100mg doxycycline twice a day. Then we upped it to two 100mg doxy twice per day. I took those for 5 days & made rapid progress and the itching stopped. The doxy was getting my tummy though. It was getting really rough despite my eating yogurt. So on day 6 and day 7, I took two 100mg doxy in the am but in the pm I just took 1 of them. On day 7, I was nauseous for hours on end. So since I was still doing well without itching and the rash was healing everywhere, I decided to cut back some more. On days 8, 9, & 10 I have only taken two 100mg doxy in the am and none at night. I'm doing good and my tummy is much, much happier! No more nausea!  I'll update as things go along.
    • Many things can damage the small intestine besides celiac disease: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-else-can-cause-damage-to-the-small-intestine-other-than-celiac-disease/ Happily, I can share that I became a Great-Aunt this week for the first time  to a charming little boy. Sadly, my lovely 19 year old niece was diagnosed yesterday with Crohn's.  She had so many symptoms of celiac disease, I was sure she had it.  Actually, I was hoping that she'd have it, because Crohn's can be much worse.  At least there is a "cure" or known trigger for it -- gluten!   Anyway, your daughter might be suffering from something other than celiac disease.  It is possible.  It could be a food intolerance (e.g. milk).  My niece has suffered for years with periodic episodes of abdominal pain, vomiting, etc.  She doesn't have all the "classic" Crohn's Disease symptoms either, yet a recent pill cam revealed a lot!  Her endoscopy was normal.  Celiac panel normal.  Gallbladder scan normal (non-functioning gallbladder is a family curse).  My heart goes out to her, but at least we know what we are dealing with.  Will she ever get celiac disease?  It could happen. Keep advocating, Mom.  That's what I kept telling my SIL.  I also provided my SIL  a family health history tree that each GI was happy to receive.  Unfortunately, no one has had Crohn's in the family.  But, at least it allowed him to test my nieces gallbladder and for celiac disease (a full panel,  mind you).   It would not hurt to get a second opinion.  
    • That uncle bens 10minute brown rice with the gluten free table on the box, i been going through hell these last few days, this shit is Not gluten free its contaminated 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Red Butt in hemet