2 replies to this topic

#1 momma bee

momma bee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hello fellow parents, I am perplexed about assessing my daughters poop. She is only 18 months and as such can't tall is how she is feeling but she is a whole different child then before her diagnosis and going gluten free. So happy and catching up her milestones!!! We have been gluten free for about 8-9 weeks I would guess now. What is perplexing me is that she has always had frequent loose stools, odd colors with a bit of greys and greens but more and more brown. The last two weeks her stools have been more formed and she has been having trouble passing them, crying and hiding in corner to poop. They also the last few weeks have occasionally grey "streaks" almost like a rainbow running through them and today it was a black rainbow. Any thoughts on if this is from gluten? Does the gluten change the color of the poop if cross contamination occurs?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

One thing that often happens when going gluten-free is that there ends up being a lack of fiber in your diet. I would think about where she's getting fiber form and increasing it if she's lacking, that should take care of the straining.  As for color, I can't speak to that. DS never had normal BM's till after his DX but his issues weren't color but were consistency and texture (sandy).

#3 momma bee

momma bee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thanks! Hadn't really thought much about fiber as she seems to go so often and mostly worried about iron rich foods but good point!!! Should think of that more! So many different things to think if and keep track of! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: