Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is Genetically Modified Wheat Common Now-Days Responsible For This Condition?

• Please log in to reply

36 replies to this topic

#16 Ksee

Ksee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Yes, there is an increase in autoimmune and genetic diseases (scroll up). It may be from pollution and many people feel they don't have the ability to change anything. It has been found that our personal consumption is the single greatest contributor to global pollution. It's our personal waste, demands for energy, and single use products that then are thrown into the environment. It's the factories and energy producers trying to keep up with our demands that produce the pollution.   

One of the most frustrating things for health care workers to accept, is the ability of individuals to make their own choices. We can educate and advise but some people would prefer a shortened life full of the excesses and unhealthy practices. It's difficult for some of us to understand why anyone would give up living longer for the sake of unhealthy lifestyles and substances but we can only educate and allow people to make their own choices. Education only reaches those who want to learn. People with closed minds, unhealthy lifestyles, unwilling to change, are a dying breed quite literally. 

When it comes to new technology, once developed it will be used at some point. The fact that the world is being careful not to jump into gene manipulation as quickly as previous technologies like electricity or internal combustion is something I find encouraging. I think it means we have learned to be more cautious and forward thinking.  :)

No one believed there are glow in the dark kitties did they? They help fight AIDS.  http://blogs.scienti...-the-dark-cats/

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

I heard it in passing the other day, what we currently define as wheat is so far processed from the real thing that's it's caused an outbreak in this condition.

My Dr. is convinced there are many health issues today like Celiac and more Cancers because as he put it, "They are playing God with our foods, the wheat, corn etc... today is NOT the same wheat our grandparents ate." I agree with him. We eat clean meats and try to buy organic.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#18 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

If you are going to pick on poodles then you have to pick on the whole dog breed as they are not 'natural' either. Selective breeding bred for certain traits and not others. You could also throw house cats and horses into this generalization as well, because they too have undergone it.

Could the cross breeding have caused more cases of celiac? Eh, I'm on the fence about that one. I think its more of a combination of factors (environment, food, genetics, better recognition of the condition, etc).

#19 Ksee

Ksee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

You could also throw house cats

Good luck with that  :D

#20 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

Good luck with that  :D

<_< I didn't mean literally. Should i have used "place" instead?

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Pretty sure poodles are from outer space Peotr...

I think the increase in celiac rates is related to the all around positive attributes of celiacs.  Funny, attractive, intelligent and know how to cook.  Therefore better mates.  So simple!

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Pretty sure poodles are from outer space Peotr...

I think the increase in celiac rates is related to the all around positive attributes of celiacs.  Funny, attractive, intelligent and know how to cook.  Therefore better mates.  So simple!

Because they are smarter than your average dog?

:lol:

#23 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

I think the prevelance of lot's of illnesses, not just celiac, is because the "normal" American diet no longer consists of food. Instead we are eating a lot of processed chemicals with a tiny bit of food mixed in. Here is a list of ingredients in a "three meat" frozen pizza. I used to eat a lot of this stuff! :ph34r:

INGREDIENTS

INGREDIENTS: ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, SHREDDED LOW-MOISTURE PART-SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), TOMATO PASTE, COOKED SEASONED PIZZA TOPPING (PORK, WATER, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN [SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR], SPICES, SALT, SUGAR, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, PAPRIKA, PORK FLAVOR [MODIFIED CORN STARCH, PORK FAT, NATURAL FLAVORS, PORK STOCK, GELATIN, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, THIAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE, SUNFLOWER OIL, PROPYL GALLATE], CARAMEL COLOR, SPICE EXTRACTIVES, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID. COOKED IN PORK FAT OR BEEF FAT OR VEGETABLE OIL), PEPPERONI MADE WITH PORK, CHICKEN AND BEEF (PORK, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, BEEF, SALT, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF PORK STOCK, SPICES, DEXTROSE, LACTIC ACID STARTER CULTURE, PAPRIKA, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE, FLAVORING, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID), COOKED BEEF PIZZA TOPPING (BEEF, WATER, TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN [SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR], DEHYDRATED POTATOES WITH SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, SOY PROTEIN AND WHEAT PROTEIN, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, MALTODEXTRIN, SPICE, GRILL FLAVOR [FROM PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OIL], GARLIC POWDER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH. COOKED IN PORK FAT OR BEEF FAT OR VEGETABLE OIL), SUGAR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WHEAT GLUTEN, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN OIL AND/OR CORN OIL), WHITE CORN MEAL, SALT, YELLOW CORN MEAL, BAKING POWDER (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE), YEAST, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, DATEM, FLAVOR, SPICE, DRIED GARLIC, ASCORBIC ACID.
CONTAINS: WHEAT, MILK, SOY.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#24 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

I like the way you think, Paul!   :D  B)

I think the prevelance of lot's of illnesses, not just celiac, is because the "normal" American diet no longer consists of food. Instead we are eating a lot of processed chemicals with a tiny bit of food mixed in. Here is a list of ingredients in a "three meat" frozen pizza. I used to eat a lot of this stuff! :ph34r:

INGREDIENTS

INGREDIENTS: ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, SHREDDED LOW-MOISTURE PART-SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), TOMATO PASTE, COOKED SEASONED PIZZA TOPPING (PORK, WATER, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN [SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR], SPICES, SALT, SUGAR, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, PAPRIKA, PORK FLAVOR [MODIFIED CORN STARCH, PORK FAT, NATURAL FLAVORS, PORK STOCK, GELATIN, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, THIAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE, SUNFLOWER OIL, PROPYL GALLATE], CARAMEL COLOR, SPICE EXTRACTIVES, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID. COOKED IN PORK FAT OR BEEF FAT OR VEGETABLE OIL), PEPPERONI MADE WITH PORK, CHICKEN AND BEEF (PORK, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, BEEF, SALT, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF PORK STOCK, SPICES, DEXTROSE, LACTIC ACID STARTER CULTURE, PAPRIKA, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE, FLAVORING, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID), COOKED BEEF PIZZA TOPPING (BEEF, WATER, TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN [SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR], DEHYDRATED POTATOES WITH SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, SOY PROTEIN AND WHEAT PROTEIN, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, MALTODEXTRIN, SPICE, GRILL FLAVOR [FROM PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OIL], GARLIC POWDER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH. COOKED IN PORK FAT OR BEEF FAT OR VEGETABLE OIL), SUGAR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WHEAT GLUTEN, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN OIL AND/OR CORN OIL), WHITE CORN MEAL, SALT, YELLOW CORN MEAL, BAKING POWDER (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE), YEAST, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, DATEM, FLAVOR, SPICE, DRIED GARLIC, ASCORBIC ACID.
CONTAINS: WHEAT, MILK, SOY.

I read a book a few years ago (Eat Clean Diet) which really stressed that if we can't recognize an ingredient as food, we shouldn't eat it... It's really disturbing when you put the whole ingredient list on there, Bartfull. I used to eat that stuff too... and still eat some junk on occassion... Okay, more than I should really. :unsure:

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

Captain I hear you but I ask: where is this wheat being grown and sold? Transgenic wheat exists but it's not being grown for sale in the US because of fears that other countries won't buy it.  Other countries are not growing it for the same reasons.

It can not be causing increased celiac disease because it's not on the market. Please use a search engine to verify that. 

It's being grown!!!     

http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z3

I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#26 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

You should watch Food Inc.

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#27 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

Captain I hear you but I ask: where is this wheat being grown and sold? Transgenic wheat exists but it's not being grown for sale in the US because of fears that other countries won't buy it.  Other countries are not growing it for the same reasons.

It can not be causing increased celiac disease because it's not on the market. Please use a search engine to verify that. 

Another short read, it's out there!      http://rt.com/news/m...an-exports-026/

#28 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

Another:     http://foodbabe.com/...aft-mac-cheese/

#29 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yep, it is out there and nobody knows how much or where else it is at this point.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#30 Ksee

Ksee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

Captain, you quoted me three times but I still wonder if you read what I said, "transgenic wheat does exist". I continued by saying that it is not being grown for sale in the US. You posted two links, both of which referred to the same incident. The Washington Post article reported that the USDA was clearly upset and had begun a criminal investigation into that incident. The article listed the implications for the market of US wheat and stated there was no evidence any of that wheat had gotten into the food supply from the one field it was found in.

The second article reported that those fears, which I stated as the reasons why GMO wheat is not being grown for sale, were the same reasons some countries now do not want to buy US wheat. These two articles are evidence of what I said, the US does not want to damage it's market by fears from other countries so GMO wheat is not legal to grow for sale in the US.

The report from The Food Babe states it's own article to be unsubstantiated:

"Please note: It is uncertain at this time who places these warning labels on products once they are imported into the UK and this is something I am still investigating. I know it is not the grocery store themselves and not Kraft, but likely the importer/distribution company." 

The warning labels are poorly printed and obviously fixed to the boxes at some time after leaving the processing plant. In reading this article, notice the accusations of using GMO wheat were added after a meeting with Kraft that was followed by refusal of the company to have further communication with the Food Babe. She also says in the article, that she is quite angry, not only because Kraft refused to communicate with her but because of the increased income of Kraft's CEO.

Of course, everyone has a choice, believe the USDA, the Washington Post and other reputable sources or websites such as "The Food Babe". I encourage anyone to draw their own conclusions.

Captain I know, I said do a web search. I did not say that as a challenge to you or your beliefs. I was not implying what I said was common knowledge. I said that because I did a web search to make sure I was not misspeaking before I typed my response. I have no doubt someone can try to sabotage the US wheat supply in order to damage the market. I would suppose that is a form of terrorism. 

I made another statement in this thread no one noticed. There are some researchers who have noticed the high incidence of intolerance to gluten and are trying to find ways to identify what parts of the protein cause reaction and what could be done to modify it. I know people see science as a terrible thing and the study of genetics as the devils work but think about it for a minute. The tiniest of changes in the gluten protein means our bodies don't see glutens as offenders and no bad reaction happens. How would you feel about living in a world that changed to fit your needs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: