This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Battling No Food

UnhappyCoeliac

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

The fridge is full of goods all with Gluten, but you're starving and you haven't eaten all day.

No shops are open

Discuss your next decision here and your reasoning...

Seems to be my downfall alot. My general decision is given in to hunger pains and pray for a better tomorrow (it never comes)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kareng Grand Master

Why wouldn't there be some eggs or cheese or fruit in the fridge? Popcorn, nuts or potato chips in the cabinet? Frozen fries or veggies or ice cream in the fridge? Even when I ate gluten, not everything in the fridge had gluten in it. If you have to eat gluten free, you should make sure you have things you can eat in the house.

This sounds like you set yourself up so that you have to eat gluten.

kareng Grand Master

I just realized - your not new to this. You have been a member for 4 years. i was assuming you were new and didn't really know about food that have gluten and ones that don't.

So my question back is - why are you eating gluten on purpose after 4 years?

Marilyn R Community Regular

The fridge is full of goods all with Gluten, but you're starving and you haven't eaten all day.

No shops are open

Seems to be my downfall alot. My general decision is given in to hunger pains and pray for a better tomorrow (it never comes)

My next decision would be to make a resolution to plan more.

You can freeze cooked rice in Sandwich bags and have cans of black or red beans in the pantry.  If you make gluten-free pasta, it's just as easy to make a whole bag of it as it is to make a small portion, then freeze single portion sizes.  Same with soups or chili or practically anything.  

Then you have to ask yourself a day or 2 in advance what you are going to eat the next couple of days, and move stuff from the freezer to the refrigerator.  

The staples I always keep are cheese, milk, tomato sauce, salsa, rice cakes,  corn or rice chips, peanut butter, eggs, various canned beans, frozen and canned fish,  romaine lettuce and root vegetables.

Even if you don't feel inspired to make something delicious, you can have something in your refrigerator or pantry to eat safely and avoid hunger pains.

Good luck, wish you well.

IrishHeart Veteran

This is difficult for me to answer since this would never happen in my house. 

My fridge would not "be full of gluten" (and that was true even before I was diagnosed)

You can't be healthy if you starve yourself all day long (celiac or not), it is not wise to deprive your body of nourishment that way.

I am thinking you really did not expect us to tell you anything except plan ahead, get some healthy food in your house (vegetables, fruit, yogurt and maybe some peanut butter and G F Crackers) so you do not find yourself opening the fridge door and seeing what you deem "nothing" to eat.

Granted, you may very wll  live with "gluten eaters", but even still, you should have your own food supply.

If you were an uninformed newbie, I'd give you more empathy and write out a detailed shopping list and "hold your hand" so to speak, but you're not new to this, hon

and frankly, it's time for you to stop putting yourself in this position. okay?.

I hope you will make a shopping list, go get some good things to eat, stop starving all day long and take better care of yourself. Best wishes!

Ksee Rookie

I realized one day that gluten might be a problem. The same day I identified what I had without gluten. Within a few days the rewards of gluten-free was so great that I removed it from my home, so as not to be tempted or forget. I live alone but if someone else were here I would expect them not to selfishly sabotage my health. No matter who else is around, I take responsibility to maintain my own healthy environment. 

What else is going on, that makes you feel such lack of control over your own life?

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

Due to my massive weight loss after going gluten free several of my friends went to Doctors to see if they could find the answers to their weight problems. 2 good friends discovered they are Celiacs went gluten-free and are now much much happier and healthier. One of my very best friends discovered outside of being over weight she is in perfect health. She now excepts that she is over weight because she eats too much. Despite the fact she has low self esteem due to being over weight she has decided it's not worth giving up the food to lose weight. It sounds like you feel it's not worth giving up the food to heal. If you are constantly eating gluten your body can't heal. You are the only one who can save yourself! When I was diagnosed I was weaker than my 71 year old mother. Now I have more energy than my 24 year old co-worker. My depression is gone (unless I accidently injest gluten like I did earlier this week). My life is worth living and it's worth fighting for. Only you can decide to fight!  

If you want to fight you will fight and the people on this forum will help you.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegleg84 Collaborator

I believe this is a hypothetical question, and one that I've ocassionally wondered about.

If in a disaster/desert island/prisoner situation you had no access to safe food, and your only options were to either starve or eat gluten and suffer, which would you do?

I'd probably hold out as long as I could, but if there were no other options (hypothetically), I probably would eventually give in and suffer the consequences. I might feel like I'm dying, but it would probably keep me going until safe food could be found.

More realistically though, it does mean that we really have to plan ahead. Safe gluten free "emergency/disaster" supplies, always having something in our bag just in case, etc etc.

If does make me think about people who have little food access or control over their food, for example homeless people or others relying on donations, prisoners, etc. There's probably a lot of people out there who have Celiac/Gluten Intolerance and don't know it, and are suffering even more by eating whatever they are offered or can get their hands on.

Anyway, I do believe this was a hypothetical. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is something to remember that for some just surviving is more important than their long-term health, and that's a pretty sad thing. (I could rant on about food security, but we'll stop there)

Now to check on the gluten-free emergency food stocks...

Peg

tarnalberry Community Regular

No shops are open

1) Find a 24 convenience store that sells nuts and bananas or apples.

2) Knock on a neighbor's door and see if they have a piece of fruit you can eat.

3) Don't eat, get up early the next day, and go shopping to fix the ridiculous state of food in the house.

Ok, #3 is a little snarky, but also meant a lot seriously.  If there is literally *NOTHING* in your house that doesn't have gluten in it, you have a very poor diet (and poor emergency planning skills)..  (Oooo... Come on people, flame me!  This is totally flame worthy!  I'll stand by it, but it's ripe for the bashing. :) )  Why do I say this?  Because fruit and vegetables do not contain gluten.  Because dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, etc.) do not contain gluten.  Because beans do not contain gluten.  Because rice does not contain gluten.  Because fats (oils, butters) do not contain gluten.  Because nuts and dried do not contain gluten.  (And many of these items (canned beans, canned vegetables, nuts, rice, canned meats) are useful "emergency" foods to have on hand in the case of a natural disaster.)  If *EVERY* food in your house contains gluten, you simply don't have a healthy variety of nutritious foods around you, which - many studies back this up - almost certainly means your diet as a whole does not have a healthy variety of nutritious foods.

I don't actually mean to sound like a "w"itch about this.  And it's not actually personal, though I'm responding to your (OP's) post.  It's a pet peeve of mine that people choose to bring unhealthy foods into their house and choose NOT to bring healthy foods into their house.  It's your responsibility (unless you are under ... let's say 15), to have some choices.  (Of course, there is the obvious exception for, as stated by PP, being homeless, destitute to the point where you have no food, and so on.  But, you have food in your house, and I don't recall you being a pre-teen, so that doesn't apply in this situation.)

Personally, in your situation, I would go find a store that was open (even if I had to drive half an hour) and fix the problem.  My health and my body is too important to treat it badly.

kareng Grand Master

1) Find a 24 convenience store that sells nuts and bananas or apples.

2) Knock on a neighbor's door and see if they have a piece of fruit you can eat.

3) Don't eat, get up early the next day, and go shopping to fix the ridiculous state of food in the house.

Ok, #3 is a little snarky, but also meant a lot seriously.  If there is literally *NOTHING* in your house that doesn't have gluten in it, you have a very poor diet (and poor emergency planning skills)..  (Oooo... Come on people, flame me!  This is totally flame worthy!  I'll stand by it, but it's ripe for the bashing. :) )  Why do I say this?  Because fruit and vegetables do not contain gluten.  Because dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, etc.) do not contain gluten.  Because beans do not contain gluten.  Because rice does not contain gluten.  Because fats (oils, butters) do not contain gluten.  Because nuts and dried do not contain gluten.  (And many of these items (canned beans, canned vegetables, nuts, rice, canned meats) are useful "emergency" foods to have on hand in the case of a natural disaster.)  If *EVERY* food in your house contains gluten, you simply don't have a healthy variety of nutritious foods around you, which - many studies back this up - almost certainly means your diet as a whole does not have a healthy variety of nutritious foods.

I don't actually mean to sound like a "w"itch about this.  And it's not actually personal, though I'm responding to your (OP's) post.  It's a pet peeve of mine that people choose to bring unhealthy foods into their house and choose NOT to bring healthy foods into their house.  It's your responsibility (unless you are under ... let's say 15), to have some choices.  (Of course, there is the obvious exception for, as stated by PP, being homeless, destitute to the point where you have no food, and so on.  But, you have food in your house, and I don't recall you being a pre-teen, so that doesn't apply in this situation.)

Personally, in your situation, I would go find a store that was open (even if I had to drive half an hour) and fix the problem.  My health and my body is too important to treat it badly.

That's what I was trying to say. Thank you! And the fact that he said this happens to him often tells me he isn't asking a hypothetical question.

IrishHeart Veteran

Amen!!!

That's what I was trying to say. Thank you! And the fact that he said this happens to him often tells me he isn't asking a hypothetical question.

I think that is pretty much what we are all saying.... and I agree with you completely on the second point. 

as I said, even if the OP shares a home with others, there HAS TO BE SOMETHING in that fridge without gluten in it.... fruits, vegs, cheese.

Adalaide Mentor

When it is late at night and I want a snack and everything is either more effort I am willing to put forth or doesn't sound good, I have a glass of milk. It is always safe, satisfies my hunger and will get me through til morning when I feel like making something. Unless I were in a life and death situation, I will go hungry 100% of the time before I will eat something that isn't safe for me. It is a simple matter of choice. Do you or do you not care about being healthy?

Marilyn R Community Regular

Amen!!!

I think that is pretty much what we are all saying.... and I agree with you completely on the second point. 

as I said, even if the OP shares a home with others, there HAS TO BE SOMETHING in that fridge without gluten in it.... fruits, vegs, cheese.

Sometimes I find myself wondering what happened to the old forum...the one where everyone was nice and supportive, the one where you could unload without being judged or slammed.

That's probably just me though.

Adalaide Mentor

Sometimes I find myself wondering what happened to the old forum...the one where everyone was nice and supportive, the one where you could unload without being judged or slammed.

Having been a member here since 2009, there has been sufficient time to learn how to stock a pantry and refrigerator, how to eat and how to be healthy. There is only a certain amount of coddling that can be done when a celiac is intentionally ingesting gluten before what they need is a wake up call and/or swift kick in the pants to help them realize they need to stop and they only person who can save them from themselves is them.

After more than 3 years if there is literally not a single fruit, vegetable, meat or dairy product in the house there are far bigger problems with his diet than gluten. That isn't a judgement or slamming anyone, that is the flat out honest truth that needs to be said before he ends up hospitalized. It is to help him. Tough love is still love.

IrishHeart Veteran

I am always nice, supportive and non judgmental. You know this about me.

Of all the replies,at least  I gave the OP an "out"--that maybe she lives with Gluten eaters

and frankly, I have no idea why you have selected my post to highlight here.

And sometimes I honestly wonder why I continue to take the time to help when I get slammed as often as I do.

And the OP is not "new" and she needs to get it together fast. Everything I say is my opinion, given with compassion. She can take it or leave it. but there is no need to accuse me of being judgmental.

cavernio Enthusiast

No shops are open

Your better tomorrow never comes because you seem to eat gluten regularly. Prayer isn't going to help. Not eating gluten will help.

However, if this is me, my next decision is to go to a gas station and buy something, or else suck it up and drink a lot of water hoping it'll keep me from being too hungry.

You can go a looooong time without eating before you get repercussions from it, much longer than a day.

You need to break this cycle you seem to have, the 'eat gluten-->feel s$#&ty-->don't plan groceries properly or don't grocery shop at all-->eat the only food in your house which contains gluten'.

If you honestly feel so bad so often that you can't feed yourself properly, and all the shopping and planning that entails to be 100% gluten free, you would qualify as disabled by canadian standards and you should get help. Either government or medical or family or friends. There's nothing to be ashamed asking for help. You have a medical condition, and being weak in your diet to me means you suffer from pretty bad mental issues. Ideally, and likely, they are gluten-induced, but it really seems like you need extra help right now, even if being gluten free would eventually make them go away. An addiction counsellor might help a lot.

Of course I'm also kinda worried that you have a fridge full of gluten so you're obviously living in a shared house. If you have never felt better, even when you've been super, super careful for months, you are likely getting cross-contamination and your own house seems an obvious place. If whoever you're living with isn't supportive or just refuses to be as careful as they need to be (even if they act kind and caring), it's time you moved to your own place. Get welfare or try for disability if you need financial assistance.

You are killing yourself whenever you eat gluten. You need to do whatever it takes to stop eating it. Period.

Also, if no one has reached a point in their lives when no, they don't care about their health a good chunk of the time, the only thing that matters is the here and now and you're hungry so you're going to goddamned well eat something, you don't get it. Tough love doesn't change drug-addicts, alcoholics, gamblers, pretty much any other addiction, so I don't know why people keep thinking it's necessary or even helpful. Furthermore, if you have depression or social anxiety etc, 'tough love' is going to hurt far more than it helps, as you fall farther away from society and loved ones.

IrishHeart Veteran

You have a medical condition, and being weak in your diet to me means you suffer from pretty bad mental issues. Ideally, and likely, they are gluten-induced, but it really seems like you need extra help right now, even if being gluten free would eventually make them go away. An addiction counsellor might help a lot.

You are assuming an awful lot about this situation without having all the facts.

Let's get back to the original post.

A question was posed and people answered.

Let the OP decide what to do with it.

Oscar Apprentice

The OP has been a member for over four years, but is still eating gluten on a regular basis. There is a problem, but I don't see it being in the people responding. The OP asked a question, and got answers that were honest, even if they weren't what they wanted. UnhappyCoeliac needs to stop eating gluten. Now. Forever. Period. Too bad if that wasn't what they wanted to hear.
pretty in paleo Apprentice

I'm kind of puzzled that you are still going thru this after so many years. That being said, I have totally been in your position. I was starving, my friends had nothing to offer but pizza, and I didn't have money to go to a store nor did I have a ride home. I had packed food but had finished it hours ago. Now, I learned to pack extra food than I need, any time I step outside the house. Even if I'm only driving a short distance away, I think "well, my car could break down and the tow truck guy could take forever!" Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Some of my friends felt bad the last time I had nothing to eat. They said they will take me to the grocery store so I can buy stuff to leave in their cupboard. I noticed you said you don't eat a lot, bad Idea, just eat right before you leave for the day.

cavernio Enthusiast

You have a medical condition, and being weak in your diet to me means you suffer from pretty bad mental issues. Ideally, and likely, they are gluten-induced, but it really seems like you need extra help right now, even if being gluten free would eventually make them go away. An addiction counsellor might help a lot.

You are assuming an awful lot about this situation without having all the facts.

The OP's name is Unhappycoeliac. They themselves report failing at accomplishing a necessary part of their life, grocery shopping regularly. At least I am offering suggestions besides 'don't eat gluten dumbass'.

IrishHeart Veteran

The OP's name is Unhappycoeliac. They themselves report failing at accomplishing a necessary part of their life, grocery shopping regularly. At least I am offering suggestions besides 'don't eat gluten dumbass'.

If you read the many suggestions offered, you will see that no one says "don't eat gluten dumbass".

Eating something substantial during the day so you are not hungry, making a grocery shopping list, embracing the diagnosis--these were suggested, 

Whatever the reason may be for her username, it hardly means she has a "serious mental health" issue.

And her lack of preparation could be for any number of reasons. As I pointed out, she may have housemates who are gluten eaters--and to her,

all of their food is available and tempting--but she is overlooking the fruits, veggies and other foods she could be eating.

This is all about the choices we make to be healthy and the OP may need a shift in her thinking. 

cavernio Enthusiast

How about you tell me why you, personally, would get into the situation that the OP gets into, and furthermore, chooses to eat the gluten instead of not eat the gluten. And then think about why you'd continually do such a thing. The answer "I would never do that" isn't allowed. Place yourself in a state of mind and social context where that would be what YOU would do, no matter how ridiculous or unlikely it would be. Now tell me that getting outside help wouldn't be one of the best things to help you, or that you would be in a perfectly healthy mental state.

"As I pointed out, she may have housemates who are gluten eaters--and to her, all of their food is available and tempting--but she is overlooking the fruits, veggies and other foods she could be eating."

And this is just as assumptive as what I said, if not moreso. But I'm not bashing you for saying that, unlike you who so quickly pointed out that perhaps I am wrong.

In any case, I'm not even contradicting that, I am saying that someone who is that weak-willed as to have their roommates affect them so, is someone who I would say could benefit greatly from outside, professional help, or from avoiding the temptation as much as possible, via something like moving out. You wouldn't suggest to an alcoholic to live with people who drank at every meal and simply tell them to choose orange juice without vodka and expect it to work.

I don't see how it is anything but crystal clear that the OP has willpower problems that need to be addressed. As has been pointed out, 4 years is a very long time to still be succumbing to this.

To anyone who is confused or angered by the OP's actions, then you obviously don't understand them and so your advice probably isn't going to be the type that will work for them.

notme Experienced

yowzah!  how about we take a ride on the relaxi taxi lolz - i liked what someone else said:  OVER pack (or over-supply) food where ever and whatever you think you need, bring extra.  maybe get a buddy to help remind OP to keep supplies at hand.   

i know as soon as i leave my house, i am starving to death - but my hubs reminds me i should bring a supply of snacks/etc.  

peanut butter and jelly on gluten-free bread are my go-to's alot of times.  easy and cheap  :)  

Gemini Experienced

Having been a member here since 2009, there has been sufficient time to learn how to stock a pantry and refrigerator, how to eat and how to be healthy. There is only a certain amount of coddling that can be done when a celiac is intentionally ingesting gluten before what they need is a wake up call and/or swift kick in the pants to help them realize they need to stop and they only person who can save them from themselves is them.

After more than 3 years if there is literally not a single fruit, vegetable, meat or dairy product in the house there are far bigger problems with his diet than gluten. That isn't a judgement or slamming anyone, that is the flat out honest truth that needs to be said before he ends up hospitalized. It is to help him. Tough love is still love.

Great post, Addy!  I couldn't have said it better than this.  This what I love about this forum.....there are still people out there who know the difference between the time to help out and molly-coddle someone new or the time for tough love.  That seems to be lost on the "everyone's a victim" crowd.  Time for the OP to get control of their life. 

Gemini Experienced

yowzah!  how about we take a ride on the relaxi taxi lolz - i liked what someone else said:  OVER pack (or over-supply) food where ever and whatever you think you need, bring extra.  maybe get a buddy to help remind OP to keep supplies at hand.   

i know as soon as i leave my house, i am starving to death - but my hubs reminds me i should bring a supply of snacks/etc.  

peanut butter and jelly on gluten-free bread are my go-to's alot of times.  easy and cheap   :)

The relaxi taxi???????  Oh, my...that's a good one!   :lol:

One of my personal emergency food favorites?  Peanut butter and fluff sandwich......YUM!

Archived