53 replies to this topic

#46 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

That looks suspiciously like an empty fridge, not a gluteny fridge as you described. At any rate, if you feel like your attitude is that you can just disregard your disease at any point just because you feel like it I'm not sure what you want from  us here. None of us will support that attitude, but if you need help or support in being gluten free we are more than happy to help.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

Celiac Disease doesn't have to define who you are, but it can't simply be ignored. Well, ok, it can if you want, but that would be choosing a lifetime of health issues. Sure, might not be life-threatening, but do you really want to spend your whole life feeling like crud most of the time?

Even in a "bachelor fridge" you should be able to scrounge up something safe to tie you over. Just make sure it's not moldy. 

Good luck

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#48 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

The fridge is full of goods all with Gluten, but you're starving and you haven't eaten all day.

No shops are open

Discuss your next decision here and your reasoning...

Seems to be my downfall alot. My general decision is given in to hunger pains and pray for a better tomorrow (it never comes)

Well, eating gluten is harmful, while fasting for a night won't hurt. Since shops would eventually open in the morning, I'd rather go hungry until then than ruin my life for a few weeks. A little hunger doesn't hurt, gluten does .. Just think of it as poison.. which it is if you're celiac :-)

Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#49 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Firstly people need to calm down on the judgement and rhetoric, so I didn't answer in a week so what!

My doctor diagnosed a Coeliac at 86 calm down on the you'll be dead by 30 business, genetics overiding factor in everything why do some smokers die at 30 and some at 90 genetics.

Yes planning is working I've been Gluten-Free for a while now somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks and it's just getting easier.

I am not definded by Coeliac and reserve the right to disregard it at any point I so choose.

Hasn't anyone seen fight club fridge? This is what the fridge of a bachelor generally looks like.

If you don't want to take responsibility for who you are and what your body is, ok.  But if you make that choice - and you're right to make that choice - don't go whining about the crappy outcome.  You made your choice, hence, you also accepted the consequences.  If you don't want to take responsibility for stocking your fridge at all, ok, but don't complain about being hungry, it was your choice to go hungry.  If you don't want to take responsibility to eat gluten free, ok, but don't complain about feeling unwell; it was your choice to feel unwell.

I know I sound unsympathetic.  And to a degree I am.  It's not "feathers ruffled" at all, it's just, why should I bother helping you when you clearly don't take any personal responsibility?  I require more personal responsibility out of my three year old.  (I'm not kidding either - not on big things that she's not cognitively able to handle, but things that are within her developmental range.)

If you want ideas on how people do take responsibility with minimum effort, great!  We can do that.

If you want ideas on how people find resources to make it easier to stay minimally responsible, great!  We can do that!

If you want ideas on how people deal with the psychological side of being dealt the crappy hand that is celiac, great!  We can do that!

If you just want to act like an irresponsible loaf who doesn't like that actions and choices sometimes have unpleasant consequences... Well, go ahead, but you'll probably get a lot more judgement, so be prepared for that consequence from that choice.

(And, by the way, the single guys I've known over time have a FAR better-stocked fridge than that.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#50 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,449 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

Well, I was going to say something (I've been gone all day and just saw that UC has returned to read all our posts)..but I am too late because you guys have said it all. I'll just say "what they just said".

Kiddo, GO SHOPPING and stop glutening yourself. :)

Your attitude about this is all wrong.

It's not the worst thing on the planet to be a celiac.

Not by a long shot.

Guys who have a full fridge and a full bar and know how to cook are a helluva lot sexier than guys who do not.

Trust us women on this one.

I hope you get it together soon because life is too short to be pissed off 24/7.

(yes, I have seen your signature line and I see you changed it again.)

You could have the biggest group of supporters here if you'd get past the anger.

Best wishes.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#51 NotMollyRingwald

NotMollyRingwald

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Well, I was going to say something (I've been gone all day and just saw that UC has returned to read all our posts)..but I am too late because you guys have said it all. I'll just say "what they just said".

Kiddo, GO SHOPPING and stop glutening yourself. :) Your attitude about this is all wrong.
It's not the worst thing on the planet to be a celiac.
Not by a long shot.

Guys who have a full fridge and a full bar and know how to cook are a helluva lot sexier than guys who do not.
Trust us women on this one.

Amen to that!

Amy 

If you're going through hell, keep going!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Jeremiah 29: 11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." 

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

#52 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

My next decision would be to make a resolution to plan more.

You can freeze cooked rice in Sandwich bags and have cans of black or red beans in the pantry.  If you make gluten-free pasta, it's just as easy to make a whole bag of it as it is to make a small portion, then freeze single portion sizes.  Same with soups or chili or practically anything.  

Then you have to ask yourself a day or 2 in advance what you are going to eat the next couple of days, and move stuff from the freezer to the refrigerator.  

The staples I always keep are cheese, milk, tomato sauce, salsa, rice cakes,  corn or rice chips, peanut butter, eggs, various canned beans, frozen and canned fish,  romaine lettuce and root vegetables.

Even if you don't feel inspired to make something delicious, you can have something in your refrigerator or pantry to eat safely and avoid hunger pains.

Good luck, wish you well.

There is always something around now, it may not be what I want, but there is something.  Very few offensive foods left and I need to clean out the pantry again and remove whatever is still there.  I left some things for kids, but kids should not have it either.  I have found that sometimes when I am hungry, just something to nibble on, and then cup of tea, is all I really needed.

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#53 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:13 AM

And my husband has also made bread for us when I was so ill I could barely walk or think.

That's not molly-coddling, that's compassion. 

And anyway, the snarky comment  that was made is irrelevant to the discussion which, in my opinion, has been derailed.

Karen has posted a thread to help people "stock up" on emergency food.Let's channel this into a more positive discussion, shall we?

Mine too, but my kids always eat the emergency food.  So, I shop twice a week and keep fresh things in the frige.  There always smoothie ingredients and that will really energize you.  Toast, almond butter, jam and green tea, I am ready to go again, and that is a FAST snack.

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#54 Ksee

Ksee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

Unhappy thanks for the reply, I think, (correct me if I am wrong) I understand  better now what you are saying. 

(I'm not contradicting what anyone else here is saying btw)

We sometimes forget social pressures people put on each other. In this case I am familiar with the "un-coolness" of perceived domesticity in a group of single men.

Unhappy, I'm going to ask you to consider your moniker. You named yourself didn't you? However cool it may be to maintain your way of life, it's not bringing you what you are looking for, right?

Consider this: We all know of people who are trendsetters, strong and proud, who are considered ultimately cool because they don't care what anyone thinks. Here is your chance to stand out from the crowd. 

You know what is sexy? The confidence that comes from contentment. Be your own person, set your own stage and if anyone mocks your choices, look straight through them like the glassy surface they are. There is reason for hearing someone attractive described as having "always taken good care of them-self". Holding yourself in high esteem indicates to others a reason to find you worthy of their esteem. 

Elevate your position in the world by taking good care of yourself. Your individuality is ultimately the coolest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: