2 replies to this topic

#1 DS29790bb

DS29790bb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

I am a 19 year old celiac and have had it for five years. Prior to being diagnosed, I was asymptomatic. While a lot of people may consider me lucky for never having to deal with the crappy feeling of being "glutened," it does have its downsides. For example, I am never sure whether something I ate had gluten and sometimes, I feel I exhibit some symptoms of being "glutened" but am never sure.

Well, today I have been feeling terrible. I have seriously gone to the bathroom around ten times today not feeling well and am itchy and sweating a bit more and I feel hot. Of course, I am wondering if maybe I did somehow eat gluten and that is the cause or if it's just regular food poisoning or just a bad bout of something. And that's my issue......I never truly got a feel for how it feels to be contaminated so when I have stomach pains or something along those lines, I never am sure whether it could be gluten or something else.

So I guess I am asking......can someone give a summary of how they feel when they eat gluten? How do you differentiate this from something else?

PS: I know the symptoms are all over the web and I have looked many times at them and it just gets so confusing. I just thought personal help would be better for me to understand the actual symptoms of the disease, as I never truly "experienced" them knowingly ever.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

I am not very symptomatic...and that said my symptoms have changed multiple times over the past two years.

The only way I figured it out was that "it" happens more than once after eating out. And that's the ONLY time I feel "it". Then, I'm pretty sure it's gluten since that's the only thing I avoid.

I've gone from a headache in 2 hours to a ball in the belly, to stomach clenching at 24 hours (and continuing for 2 weeks) to bloated belly instantly.

It's irritating.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 pretty in paleo

pretty in paleo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

I am a 19 year old celiac and have had it for five years. Prior to being diagnosed, I was asymptomatic. While a lot of people may consider me lucky for never having to deal with the crappy feeling of being "glutened," it does have its downsides. For example, I am never sure whether something I ate had gluten and sometimes, I feel I exhibit some symptoms of being "glutened" but am never sure.

Well, today I have been feeling terrible. I have seriously gone to the bathroom around ten times today not feeling well and am itchy and sweating a bit more and I feel hot. Of course, I am wondering if maybe I did somehow eat gluten and that is the cause or if it's just regular food poisoning or just a bad bout of something. And that's my issue......I never truly got a feel for how it feels to be contaminated so when I have stomach pains or something along those lines, I never am sure whether it could be gluten or something else.

So I guess I am asking......can someone give a summary of how they feel when they eat gluten? How do you differentiate this from something else?

PS: I know the symptoms are all over the web and I have looked many times at them and it just gets so confusing. I just thought personal help would be better for me to understand the actual symptoms of the disease, as I never truly "experienced" them knowingly ever.

I am also an asymptomatic Celiac. But while I was eating gluten before my dx I felt horrible all the time. I was afraid to go to the doctor because I thought I might have intestinal cancer. After a few months gluten free I realized I hardly had a reaction anymore. But I know I have celiac, I had every classic symptom plus complications that could not have been anything else, so I avoid it at all costs. Its hard to tell when I've eaten gluten, sometimes my feet and hands ache but even that might only last a couple minutes. Several times I have had random symptoms like itchy skin. By contrast, my other allergies involve hours of intense stomach cramps, nausea, or vomiting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: