This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thyroid Medication? Levoxyl Discontinued

Tigercat17

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

HI everyone!

I just found out yesterday that my thyroid medication was recalled and discontinued - Levoxyl. I've been taking this for the last three years without any problems. I am so bummed... So now I'm looking for another gluten free medicine.

In the past I've gotten deathly sick from the brand name Synthroid, Abbott Laboratories, so I'm a little stressed out about changing to a new medicine. I'm super sensitive to gluten, I can't do milk and I don't have a thyroid, so my doctor wants me to be on a brand named thyroid medicine.

So what does everyone take for thyroid medicine that they trust and know is gluten free? I'd really appreciate any advice. I did hear Armour Thyroid is a good brand? Is anyone here taking it?

Thanks so much!!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I take Synthroid.  It is gluten free.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I've been taking Armour Thyroid for almost 20 years.  It's been around for over100 years until synthetics came on the market.  Mary Shoman on thryoid.about.com has an excellent site that can assist you.  Just type in "armour" and in the site's search bar and you can read up on all the benefits of this  hormone replacement that's been around for over 100 years and make an informed choice.  My family members, who are hypo, and  have all fared much better on it. 

Adalaide Mentor

Levoxyl is just the brand name of levothyroxin right? There are a ton of companies that make it as a generic and I am sure a ton of them are gluten free. Just ask the pharmacy you usually use which generic they have and call the manufacturer. It seems silly imo to switch medications because the brand name will no longer be available, when there are a variety of reputable manufacturers making the same exact medication. My husband has been taking the generic since before I met him and has never suffered any problems from this and his thyroid function is tested regularly.

VeggieGal Contributor

I take Eltroxin. If you search on here under "levothyroxine" you'll find a list on here i started compiling. My Eltroxin is also having manufacturing problems but ive spoken to them and they also make the generic version exactly the same under Goldshield and MercuryPharma

The one I can't have is by Activis which for some reason swells in my throat and effects my breathing.

If you manage to find another brand which is gluten free, please add to the list and good luck :)

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/98599-levothyroxine-gluten-free-and-lactose-free/?fromsearch=1

Edited ..just to say that im in the uk, so i guess, ingredients may be different in the US even if the same company, so as Adalaide says, its always worth double checking with manufacturer and pharmacy.

Eltroxin also do a syrup which is gluten free and lactose free (i usually struggle with lactose but I seem ok with the tablet form as long as its not made by Activis).

Nikki2777 Community Regular

I take a generic levothyroxine.  I think the manufacturer name is Mylan and I checked a few months back and it was gluten-free.

GFinDC Veteran

I take Natural Sources raw thyroid, freeze dried.  It has no dairy or soy etc in it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
TerraNeu Newbie

I Had To Get Off Of Synthroid Since It Was No Longer Gluten-Free. I Am Also Not On Amour Because It Is Not Gluten-Free. I Have Been On Levothyroxine And It Has Made Me Bloat Up.

psawyer Proficient

I Had To Get Off Of Synthroid Since It Was No Longer Gluten-Free. I Am Also Not On Amour Because It Is Not Gluten-Free. I Have Been On Levothyroxine And It Has Made Me Bloat Up.

Of course, you will have a source for this claim, and I expect that you will be sharing it with us promptly.

cahill Collaborator

I take name brand Synthroid  and have for the past 25 years. I have never had a problem with name brand Synthroid as it is gluten free.

Withjoy Newbie

My understanding of the Synthroid issue is that it depends on the amount you are taking.  Different strengths of Synthroid are different colors. (I take 100 mcg which is yellow.)  Apparently the pink version (which I think was 125 mcg) had gluten in the coloring ingredient.  I do not know if this is still the case.  I plan on following up with the company on my dosage. I'd love to switch to natural desicated thyroid, but my endocrinologist refuses to prescribe it.

cahill Collaborator

My understanding of the Synthroid issue is that it depends on the amount you are taking.  Different strengths of Synthroid are different colors. (I take 100 mcg which is yellow.)  Apparently the pink version (which I think was 125 mcg) had gluten in the coloring ingredient.  I do not know if this is still the case.  I plan on following up with the company on my dosage. I'd love to switch to natural desicated thyroid, but my endocrinologist refuses to prescribe it.

Both the 112 mcg and the 200 mcg are pink . The 125 mcg ( which I take ) is light brown.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Try asking your GP instead!  

• 1 month later...
jeslk Apprentice

Hi all! Any updates on this? I have been having the worst time since switching to levothroxine after Levoxyl was discontinued. Went from severely hyper to hypo within three weeks at same dosage. And the levothroxine itself doesn't seem to agree with me. I was on synthroid for a year w no problem but when I got the celiac dx my doctor moved me to Levoxyl. I feel like I'm losing my mind and would so love to go back to Synthroid.

StephanieL Enthusiast

We use Mylan generic. I have called a few times to check on different strengths and as of my latest call (I think it was in January) they said all strengths were gluten-free.  I do know you need to be careful when switching brands though so you would be wise to set up an appt. for a blood draw after you switch (no matter which brand) to be sure it's keeping your levels where they need to be!

nvsmom Community Regular

I was on Synthroid for almost a year and had no gluten problems with BUT I did seem to react to the dyes... my lips would swell and go numb. I just used the white tablets and broke it into appropriate sizes.

I am now on Erfa's Thyroid (natural desiccated thyroid in Canada) and have no problems - it's gluten-free too.

Ishgabibble Newbie

I was on Synthroid for almost a year and had no gluten problems with BUT I did seem to react to the dyes... my lips would swell and go numb. I just used the white tablets and broke it into appropriate sizes.

I am now on Erfa's Thyroid (natural desiccated thyroid in Canada) and have no problems - it's gluten-free too.

I was taking Armor Thyroid and still having (gluten) problems. I read on some forums that others were experiencing the same thing. The Levoxyl or Synthroid I switched to was not doing the trick. Apparently a lot of people have issues with it not providing the right type of thyroid. I then found a type of dessicated thyroid such as Armor, but it only contains 2 ingredients and is gluten-free. It works great, its called Westhroid-P.

RunKat Newbie

I too was taking Levoxyl and was finally "regular" in my levels!  When the ban happened I was switched to synthroid and started having terrible issues~ I gained 15 lbs in two months~ now that was a problem!  It made me sick and my fibro symptoms had returned too.  I am an active runner and a fitness coach, so I knew this was a result of my meds~ I had my blood work done and my levels had shot up to 8.67~ WOW!! so not only did I feel like I was getting gluten but the meds were doing nothing! I did a lot of research, and so did my doctor, it seems there are gluten in the fillers and dyes~ I started a compound med three days ago and am already feeling better~ now just to lose the weight again!

0range Apprentice

I didn't know doctors prescribed NDT in Canada :( any recommendations? all the doctors I have seen believe in prescribing T4-only medication. I did very well on Eltroxin, but after a bout of overmedication, it hasn't been suiting me.

Regarding previous posts about levothyroxine: I think there is a lot of confusion regarding this! Levothyroxine sodium is in all T4-medication (Synthroid, Eltroxin, Levoxyl, Levothroid, etc.). It is the synthetic form of the hormone that our body naturally produces, which is thyroxine. Levothyroxine is not a brand name medication by itself - it is the chief medicinal *ingredient* in all T4 medication. But due to it comprising only a very small portion of the tablet, fillers and dyes make up most of the tablet and are what people react to in the medication. 

Also, some brands are more potent than others. I cannot handle Synthroid very well, and do much better on the generic version of it (called Eltroxin). Everyone is different in how they react (some do well on everything they are given!) so I can understand the anxiety of having the brand that worked well for you being discontinued! Ask your pharmacist if they can recommend another brand that is identical in the amount of fillers/dyes/etc. used. Hope you find an equally good alternative. 

nvsmom Community Regular

I didn't know doctors prescribed NDT in Canada :( any recommendations? all the doctors I have seen believe in prescribing T4-only medication. I did very well on Eltroxin, but after a bout of overmedication, it hasn't been suiting me.

My regular doctor refused to prescribe Thyroid. I had to find another doctor who is considered "alternative" who would do it. I'm in Calgary, so if you are in the area I can send you his name.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Of course, you will have a source for this claim, and I expect that you will be sharing it with us promptly.

I saw this claim again, Peter, and once again I went to the Forrest website (Armour) and checked the ingredients.  No gluten.  I also call my pharmacist and they checked and told me, "It does not contain gluten."  

FYI to all, I pay $11.00/month for Armour Thyroid and my dosage is pretty high (all local drug stores including Costco).  The price goes lower than $10.00/month if I purchase a 100 day supply.   I don't submit it for insurance since it's the same price!  

• 2 weeks later...
TJorg Newbie

Ask about Tirosint.

I've been struggling with my thyroid med dose for a long while, and today my dr said that Synthroid has been causing a lot of issues with Gluten Sensitive people. 

He gave me a sample of Tirosint. It's pretty new, gluten and die free. I start it tomorrow. It's also a levothyroxine sodium like the others. I really hope it's like Synthroid because I shut down with Levoxyl or any generics. Armour is way to strong for me too, so I really hope this helps me. 

kennedymoore Rookie

HI everyone!

I just found out yesterday that my thyroid medication was recalled and discontinued - Levoxyl. I've been taking this for the last three years without any problems. I am so bummed... So now I'm looking for another gluten free medicine.

In the past I've gotten deathly sick from the brand name Synthroid, Abbott Laboratories, so I'm a little stressed out about changing to a new medicine. I'm super sensitive to gluten, I can't do milk and I don't have a thyroid, so my doctor wants me to be on a brand named thyroid medicine.

So what does everyone take for thyroid medicine that they trust and know is gluten free? I'd really appreciate any advice. I did hear Armour Thyroid is a good brand? Is anyone here taking it?

Thanks so much!!! :)

Tirosint is the only gluten free T4. I am a celiac and I take it without any problems. None of the other T4 compounds are gluten free - especially synthroid. Also, a compounding pharmacist can compound T4 and T3 for you with a Drs Rx.

cahill Collaborator

Tirosint is the only gluten free T4. I am a celiac and I take it without any problems. None of the other T4 compounds are gluten free - especially synthroid. Also, a compounding pharmacist can compound T4 and T3 for you with a Drs Rx.

the ingredient list for synthroid does not indicate any ingredient with gluten   Open Original Shared Link . Corn yes but not gluten .

Could you provide  a link to your source of information that states that synthroid contains gluten .

nvsmom Community Regular

I had my pharmacist call the manufacturers to make sure it was gluten-free. As far as I know, in Canada, Synthoid is gluten-free.

Archived