#1 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

HI everyone!

I just found out yesterday that my thyroid medication was recalled and discontinued - Levoxyl. I've been taking this for the last three years without any problems. I am so bummed... So now I'm looking for another gluten free medicine.

In the past I've gotten deathly sick from the brand name Synthroid, Abbott Laboratories, so I'm a little stressed out about changing to a new medicine. I'm super sensitive to gluten, I can't do milk and I don't have a thyroid, so my doctor wants me to be on a brand named thyroid medicine.

So what does everyone take for thyroid medicine that they trust and know is gluten free? I'd really appreciate any advice. I did hear Armour Thyroid is a good brand? Is anyone here taking it?

Thanks so much!!! :)

Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,686 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

I take Synthroid.  It is gluten free.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

I've been taking Armour Thyroid for almost 20 years.  It's been around for over100 years until synthetics came on the market.  Mary Shoman on thryoid.about.com has an excellent site that can assist you.  Just type in "armour" and in the site's search bar and you can read up on all the benefits of this  hormone replacement that's been around for over 100 years and make an informed choice.  My family members, who are hypo, and  have all fared much better on it. 

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

Levoxyl is just the brand name of levothyroxin right? There are a ton of companies that make it as a generic and I am sure a ton of them are gluten free. Just ask the pharmacy you usually use which generic they have and call the manufacturer. It seems silly imo to switch medications because the brand name will no longer be available, when there are a variety of reputable manufacturers making the same exact medication. My husband has been taking the generic since before I met him and has never suffered any problems from this and his thyroid function is tested regularly.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

I take Eltroxin. If you search on here under "levothyroxine" you'll find a list on here i started compiling. My Eltroxin is also having manufacturing problems but ive spoken to them and they also make the generic version exactly the same under Goldshield and MercuryPharma
The one I can't have is by Activis which for some reason swells in my throat and effects my breathing.

If you manage to find another brand which is gluten free, please add to the list and good luck :)
http://www.celiac.co...e/?fromsearch=1

Edited ..just to say that im in the uk, so i guess, ingredients may be different in the US even if the same company, so as Adalaide says, its always worth double checking with manufacturer and pharmacy.

Eltroxin also do a syrup which is gluten free and lactose free (i usually struggle with lactose but I seem ok with the tablet form as long as its not made by Activis).

#6 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

I take a generic levothyroxine.  I think the manufacturer name is Mylan and I checked a few months back and it was gluten-free.

#7 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

I take Natural Sources raw thyroid, freeze dried.  It has no dairy or soy etc in it.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#8 TerraNeu

TerraNeu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

I Had To Get Off Of Synthroid Since It Was No Longer Gluten-Free. I Am Also Not On Amour Because It Is Not Gluten-Free. I Have Been On Levothyroxine And It Has Made Me Bloat Up.

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

I Had To Get Off Of Synthroid Since It Was No Longer Gluten-Free. I Am Also Not On Amour Because It Is Not Gluten-Free. I Have Been On Levothyroxine And It Has Made Me Bloat Up.

Of course, you will have a source for this claim, and I expect that you will be sharing it with us promptly.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#10 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:07 AM

I take name brand Synthroid  and have for the past 25 years. I have never had a problem with name brand Synthroid as it is gluten free.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#11 Withjoy

Withjoy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

My understanding of the Synthroid issue is that it depends on the amount you are taking.  Different strengths of Synthroid are different colors. (I take 100 mcg which is yellow.)  Apparently the pink version (which I think was 125 mcg) had gluten in the coloring ingredient.  I do not know if this is still the case.  I plan on following up with the company on my dosage. I'd love to switch to natural desicated thyroid, but my endocrinologist refuses to prescribe it.

#12 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

My understanding of the Synthroid issue is that it depends on the amount you are taking.  Different strengths of Synthroid are different colors. (I take 100 mcg which is yellow.)  Apparently the pink version (which I think was 125 mcg) had gluten in the coloring ingredient.  I do not know if this is still the case.  I plan on following up with the company on my dosage. I'd love to switch to natural desicated thyroid, but my endocrinologist refuses to prescribe it.

Both the 112 mcg and the 200 mcg are pink . The 125 mcg ( which I take ) is light brown.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#13 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

Try asking your GP instead!  

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#14 jeslk

jeslk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hi all! Any updates on this? I have been having the worst time since switching to levothroxine after Levoxyl was discontinued. Went from severely hyper to hypo within three weeks at same dosage. And the levothroxine itself doesn't seem to agree with me. I was on synthroid for a year w no problem but when I got the celiac dx my doctor moved me to Levoxyl. I feel like I'm losing my mind and would so love to go back to Synthroid.
Jess

Celiac Dx through blood work and biopsy, Feb. 2011
Also Dx Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (2006) and Thyroid Cancer (2011)

#15 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

We use Mylan generic. I have called a few times to check on different strengths and as of my latest call (I think it was in January) they said all strengths were gluten-free.  I do know you need to be careful when switching brands though so you would be wise to set up an appt. for a blood draw after you switch (no matter which brand) to be sure it's keeping your levels where they need to be!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: