• Please log in to reply

35 replies to this topic

#16 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

I was on Synthroid for almost a year and had no gluten problems with BUT I did seem to react to the dyes... my lips would swell and go numb. I just used the white tablets and broke it into appropriate sizes.

I am now on Erfa's Thyroid (natural desiccated thyroid in Canada) and have no problems - it's gluten-free too.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Ishgabibble

Ishgabibble

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

I was on Synthroid for almost a year and had no gluten problems with BUT I did seem to react to the dyes... my lips would swell and go numb. I just used the white tablets and broke it into appropriate sizes.

I am now on Erfa's Thyroid (natural desiccated thyroid in Canada) and have no problems - it's gluten-free too.

I was taking Armor Thyroid and still having (gluten) problems. I read on some forums that others were experiencing the same thing. The Levoxyl or Synthroid I switched to was not doing the trick. Apparently a lot of people have issues with it not providing the right type of thyroid. I then found a type of dessicated thyroid such as Armor, but it only contains 2 ingredients and is gluten-free. It works great, its called Westhroid-P.

#18 RunKat

RunKat

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

I too was taking Levoxyl and was finally "regular" in my levels!  When the ban happened I was switched to synthroid and started having terrible issues~ I gained 15 lbs in two months~ now that was a problem!  It made me sick and my fibro symptoms had returned too.  I am an active runner and a fitness coach, so I knew this was a result of my meds~ I had my blood work done and my levels had shot up to 8.67~ WOW!! so not only did I feel like I was getting gluten but the meds were doing nothing! I did a lot of research, and so did my doctor, it seems there are gluten in the fillers and dyes~ I started a compound med three days ago and am already feeling better~ now just to lose the weight again!

#19 0range

0range

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

I didn't know doctors prescribed NDT in Canada :( any recommendations? all the doctors I have seen believe in prescribing T4-only medication. I did very well on Eltroxin, but after a bout of overmedication, it hasn't been suiting me.

Regarding previous posts about levothyroxine: I think there is a lot of confusion regarding this! Levothyroxine sodium is in all T4-medication (Synthroid, Eltroxin, Levoxyl, Levothroid, etc.). It is the synthetic form of the hormone that our body naturally produces, which is thyroxine. Levothyroxine is not a brand name medication by itself - it is the chief medicinal *ingredient* in all T4 medication. But due to it comprising only a very small portion of the tablet, fillers and dyes make up most of the tablet and are what people react to in the medication. 

Also, some brands are more potent than others. I cannot handle Synthroid very well, and do much better on the generic version of it (called Eltroxin). Everyone is different in how they react (some do well on everything they are given!) so I can understand the anxiety of having the brand that worked well for you being discontinued! Ask your pharmacist if they can recommend another brand that is identical in the amount of fillers/dyes/etc. used. Hope you find an equally good alternative. 

Canadian undergraduate student in 3rd year, studying Psychology and Speech Communication. Hoping to go into rehabilitation sciences!  B)

Dx with: 

Hashimoto's thyroiditis - 22/09/12

benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (bppv) - 18/05/13

irritable bowel syndrome - 21/06/13 

HLA-DQ8 gene ~ heterozygous (moderate risk for celiac) - 29/11/13

-> underwent a colonoscopy on 24/08/13, showed mild focal colitis + lymphoid hyperplasia (aka inflammation) in terminal ileum

#20 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

I didn't know doctors prescribed NDT in Canada :( any recommendations? all the doctors I have seen believe in prescribing T4-only medication. I did very well on Eltroxin, but after a bout of overmedication, it hasn't been suiting me.

My regular doctor refused to prescribe Thyroid. I had to find another doctor who is considered "alternative" who would do it. I'm in Calgary, so if you are in the area I can send you his name.

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#21 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

Of course, you will have a source for this claim, and I expect that you will be sharing it with us promptly.

I saw this claim again, Peter, and once again I went to the Forrest website (Armour) and checked the ingredients.  No gluten.  I also call my pharmacist and they checked and told me, "It does not contain gluten."  

FYI to all, I pay $11.00/month for Armour Thyroid and my dosage is pretty high (all local drug stores including Costco).  The price goes lower than $10.00/month if I purchase a 100 day supply.   I don't submit it for insurance since it's the same price!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#22 TJorg

TJorg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

Ask about Tirosint.

I've been struggling with my thyroid med dose for a long while, and today my dr said that Synthroid has been causing a lot of issues with Gluten Sensitive people. 

He gave me a sample of Tirosint. It's pretty new, gluten and die free. I start it tomorrow. It's also a levothyroxine sodium like the others. I really hope it's like Synthroid because I shut down with Levoxyl or any generics. Armour is way to strong for me too, so I really hope this helps me. 

#23 kennedymoore

kennedymoore

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

HI everyone!

I just found out yesterday that my thyroid medication was recalled and discontinued - Levoxyl. I've been taking this for the last three years without any problems. I am so bummed... So now I'm looking for another gluten free medicine.

In the past I've gotten deathly sick from the brand name Synthroid, Abbott Laboratories, so I'm a little stressed out about changing to a new medicine. I'm super sensitive to gluten, I can't do milk and I don't have a thyroid, so my doctor wants me to be on a brand named thyroid medicine.

So what does everyone take for thyroid medicine that they trust and know is gluten free? I'd really appreciate any advice. I did hear Armour Thyroid is a good brand? Is anyone here taking it?

Thanks so much!!! :)

Tirosint is the only gluten free T4. I am a celiac and I take it without any problems. None of the other T4 compounds are gluten free - especially synthroid. Also, a compounding pharmacist can compound T4 and T3 for you with a Drs Rx.

#24 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

Tirosint is the only gluten free T4. I am a celiac and I take it without any problems. None of the other T4 compounds are gluten free - especially synthroid. Also, a compounding pharmacist can compound T4 and T3 for you with a Drs Rx.

the ingredient list for synthroid does not indicate any ingredient with gluten   http://www.drugs.com.../synthroid.html . Corn yes but not gluten .

Could you provide  a link to your source of information that states that synthroid contains gluten .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#25 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

I had my pharmacist call the manufacturers to make sure it was gluten-free. As far as I know, in Canada, Synthoid is gluten-free.

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#26 MissUrka

MissUrka

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

I take Synthroid. It is gluten free.

The manufacturer of Synthroid (Abbott) DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE GLUTEN FREE STATUS OF ITS PRODUCT ANY LONGER. I believe this includes all dosages. Please check glutenfreedrugs.com

#27 MissUrka

MissUrka

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

Of course, you will have a source for this claim, and I expect that you will be sharing it with us promptly.

Please check the Alpha List at GlutenFreeDrugs.com

http://www.glutenfre...gs.com/list.htm
This is what they say about Synthriod:
Synthroid (all strengths)-can no longer guarantee gluten-free status
The new wording was put there sometime between October 2012 and March 2013

Regarding the glutefreedrugs website:
The Gluten Free Drugs website is authored and maintained by a clinical pharmacist as a public service, receiving no compensation whatsoever for providing this information. Information for this website is obtained from a number of sources, including personal contact with the manufacturers and input from other individuals who contact manufacturers. The information is continually updated as it is obtained.
This site is for informational purposes only. Please note that a reasonable attempt is made to provide accurate information. The webmaster is not responsible for any error contained within. All persons should interpret the information with caution and should seek medical advice when necessary. This descipifion is from http://glutenfreeres...6-429aa6f3f545/

#28 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Please check the Alpha List at GlutenFreeDrugs.comhttp://www.glutenfre...gs.com/list.htm
This is what they say about Synthriod:
Synthroid (all strengths)-can no longer guarantee gluten-free status
The new wording was put there sometime between October 2012 and March 2013
Regarding the glutefreedrugs website:
The Gluten Free Drugs website is authored and maintained by a clinical pharmacist as a public service, receiving no compensation whatsoever for providing this information. Information for this website is obtained from a number of sources, including personal contact with the manufacturers and input from other individuals who contact manufacturers. The information is continually updated as it is obtained.
This site is for informational purposes only. Please note that a reasonable attempt is made to provide accurate information. The webmaster is not responsible for any error contained within. All persons should interpret the information with caution and should seek medical advice when necessary. This descipifion is from http://glutenfreeres...6-429aa6f3f545/

There is a difference between " yes. Our drug contains gluten" and "we don't knowingly use gluten "but, because we don't test for gluten, we will no longer say officially " gluten free". I choose to read the ingredients. You may decide to use it or not. That would be your choice.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#29 MissUrka

MissUrka

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for your reply! I just wanted to remind that, yes you can read the ingredients but you can never rule out cross contamination. If a company does not specifically TEST for gluten, it is highly unlikely that they will state without qualification that a product is gluten-free. Companies may not be able to guarantee that the raw materials they purchased to make the drug have not suffered cross-contamination. Even though their ingredient list does not include gluten for Synthroid, they have had some doses that supposedly included a gluten ingredient in the past and doses that did not. So, without knowing their manufacturing process it's hard to say about cross contamination. Myself, at least where food is concerned, I only consume food that is tested guaranteed gluten-free. I myself would not take a chance with a company who will not guarantee it through testing. Thanks!

#30 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for your reply! I just wanted to remind that, yes you can read the ingredients but you can never rule out cross contamination. If a company does not specifically TEST for gluten, it is highly unlikely that they will state without qualification that a product is gluten-free. Companies may not be able to guarantee that the raw materials they purchased to make the drug have not suffered cross-contamination. Even though their ingredient list does not include gluten for Synthroid, they have had some doses that supposedly included a gluten ingredient in the past and doses that did not. So, without knowing their manufacturing process it's hard to say about cross contamination. Myself, at least where food is concerned, I only consume food that is tested guaranteed gluten-free. I myself would not take a chance with a company who will not guarantee it through testing. Thanks!

So you never eat frozen veggies? Fresh fruits? Canned pineapple? Dried beans? Meats?

It's your choice but hard to eat healthy that way. As far as meds, very few have gluten in them, so I'm not sure about cc. I wonder how many drug companies say gluten-free but haven't tested them. I guess you could call every food or drug company and quiz them about why they say gluten-free.

Where do you get the info that Synthroid's company "they have had some doses that supposedly included a gluten ingredient in the past and doses that did not"? Did the company post that? Or are you just guessing?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: