35 replies to this topic

#31 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

I take Mylan brand levothyroxine.  Some times people don't do well with a certain brand, but what matters is that you find one that works for you and stick with it.  If you change manufacturers, follow up with a blood test, since when things are measured in micrograms, the teeny differences in active ingredients between manufacturers can be enough to make you need a different strength.  A lot of physicians will write brand name Synthroid as medically necessary to avoid these problems.

I work in a hospital pharmacy, and we carry 4 different brands of levothyroxine, all strengths, plus the alternatives, and they try to keep the patient on the brand/manufacturer they were already on, or use the meds they bring from home, as to not adversely affect their blood levels. 

If you are nerdy like me and would like to read into this further, here is a good article from University of Illinois Pharmacy School:

http://dig.pharm.uic...othyroxine.aspx

I hope you have good luck settling into another brand.  Usually at a singular retail pharmacy, they will only carry one brand of generic levothyroxine as to not cause mix ups, but they can order your preferred brand as well.  That way you can keep all your medications safely filled at one place.  :)

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 kitgordon

kitgordon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

Lannett brand generic levothyroxine is gluten free.

#33 melisc312

melisc312

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

I Had To Get Off Of Synthroid Since It Was No Longer Gluten-Free. I Am Also Not On Amour Because It Is Not Gluten-Free. I Have Been On Levothyroxine And It Has Made Me Bloat Up.

So what do you take then?

#34 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

So what do you take then?

Read the rest of the earlier posts.    I can speak only for Armour Thyroid (been on it since 1997) and it's gluten free.  There are plenty of gluten free choices.  I also recommend doing more research on thyroid meds outside of this site (we're really into Celiac Disease!) :)

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#35 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

So glad I found this thread. I'm jumping through hoops getting my HMO to get/order gluten-free thyroid meds for me. I brought a copy of glutenfreedrugs.com list to show my Endo and the Pharmacist. I've been gluten-free because of celiac disease for a year and apparently my meds aren't "clean".

I get my prescription from Costco (Armour Thyroid) and I DO NOT use my insurance.  If my doc writes the script for 100 tablets, it's actually cheaper than paying the monthly co-pay.  I don't have to order each month or go through a mail-house pharmacy either!  Shop around your local pharmacys and ask for the cash price.  Then get whatever thyroid med you want as long as it's gluten free!   :)

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#36 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

Read the rest of the earlier posts.    I can speak only for Armour Thyroid (been on it since 1997) and it's gluten free.  There are plenty of gluten free choices.  I also recommend doing more research on thyroid meds outside of this site (we're really into Celiac Disease!) :)

I for one can multi  task . I am "into" celiacs that is true but since other autoimmune diseases ( such as hashimotos ) go hand and hand with celiacs many of us have  learn to multi task .

I can not recommend any of the "thyroid " sites for information . They are just plain scary .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: