19 replies to this topic

#16 NotMollyRingwald

NotMollyRingwald

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

I am also a big fan of making large amounts on the weekends - if you have the time/energy....

Have you tried roasting a chicken? The amount of prep time is minimal, and you end up with some good tasting bird. I use olive oil, salt and pepper, and maybe some poultry seasoning, and throw some garlic inside the cavity. I found information online the first time I did this last year. I am happy to send you along the site if you need information (I don't have it with me on my work computer, or I would paste the link here). Once the bird is done, if you are feeling ambitious, you can even boil the carcass and get some good chicken stock (for broth, soup, or just to cook your rice in). I often throw in some carrots, onions, and leeks to make a soup, but if you are trying to keep it simple, they are not necessary. Some nice greens (spinach, kale) would be a nice addition too.

Now that it is getting warmer outside, I like to cook all of my veggies on the grill. I have one of those 'baskets' that you can put on the grill. You can get them at target, and they are super handy. Just chop up some veggies, and throw them in with olive oil and some seasoning (salt and pepper, or grated ginger, or basil, or cayenne pepper once your tummy is feeling better). You can even throw in some parboiled sweet potatoes - I find that parboiling them makes them cook in a reasonable time.

Here's another recipe that I have only made with regular potatoes, but I'm sure it would be good with sweet potatoes instead:
Put in aluminum foil: sliced potatoes, sliced onions, pepper strips, olive oil (I used to use cheese as well, but am dairy free now, so I don't include it), dill (or other spice of your liking). Wrap up and seal so everything is fully enclosed. I usually put another piece of foil around everything as well, to make sure everything stays in there. Cook on covered grill - maybe 40 minutes until potatoes are done. The veggies end up steaming and soft - unlike the basket that allows you to get them crispier.

Thanks for the great info and ideas! I just remembered I have a whole chicken in my deep freeze that could be roasted as you suggested. Think it would work in the crockpot? Grilled veggies would be great to, although I just realized we will need to replace the grill grates..pretty sure there has been gluten filled spices on it.

Amy 

If you're going through hell, keep going!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Jeremiah 29: 11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

You're right, it would be good to replace the grates.  Until you replace them, you can use foil.  Butternut squash is really good when it's roasted.  It's easier to peel if you microwave the whole squash for a minute.  Then  peel it, cut it up in chunks.    The chunks are good grilled in foil packages with sliced onion and olive oil with s&p.  The leftovers reheat well in a microwave.

P,S.  Birds love the seeds, and an ice cream scoop works well to scoop them out,

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#18 june27

june27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

I have not done a whole chicken in a crockpot, but I don't see what it wouldn't work.  Good luck!

#19 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

I cook whole chickens in the crock pot all the time. I put them in first thing in the morning and let them go all day -- you don't need to add liquid because you'll get that from the chicken. You won't have the lovely brown skin but the chicken is cooked, often the meat almost falls off the bone which is fine by me.

What I usually do is cook the chicken all day, remove/carve/serve for dinner and then return the carcass to the same crockpot (I use my BIG one...I think it is 6 quarts...and I don't wash it between cooking the chicken and putting the broth in -- it is usually only an hour tops before it is filled and turned back on and this method hasn't made me sick yet!) then add the standard onion, celery, garlic and carrot medley after browning it in a little olive oil. Throw in some sea salt and bay leaves plus any other herbs I have on hand, pour in water up to near the top and set it to LOW all night. No muss, fuss or bother and you've got gorgeous broth in the morning. I usually strain it out and set it in the fridge -- then when I'm back home I measure it out into smaller containers (1C, 2C and 4C since those are the amounts I use most of the time for different recipes.)

Crockpot 365 has loads of crock pot recipes and the author is not keen on anything that requires a lot of prep so most are fast and easy.

#20 NotMollyRingwald

NotMollyRingwald

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

I cook whole chickens in the crock pot all the time. I put them in first thing in the morning and let them go all day -- you don't need to add liquid because you'll get that from the chicken. You won't have the lovely brown skin but the chicken is cooked, often the meat almost falls off the bone which is fine by me.

What I usually do is cook the chicken all day, remove/carve/serve for dinner and then return the carcass to the same crockpot (I use my BIG one...I think it is 6 quarts...and I don't wash it between cooking the chicken and putting the broth in -- it is usually only an hour tops before it is filled and turned back on and this method hasn't made me sick yet!) then add the standard onion, celery, garlic and carrot medley after browning it in a little olive oil. Throw in some sea salt and bay leaves plus any other herbs I have on hand, pour in water up to near the top and set it to LOW all night. No muss, fuss or bother and you've got gorgeous broth in the morning. I usually strain it out and set it in the fridge -- then when I'm back home I measure it out into smaller containers (1C, 2C and 4C since those are the amounts I use most of the time for different recipes.)

Crockpot 365 has loads of crock pot recipes and the author is not keen on anything that requires a lot of prep so most are fast and easy.

Great timing, Babsv, I was planning to cook my chicken tomorrow and was just starting to wonder, "how should I do this?" Sounds like you have a tried & true system. Sounds perfect to me. :)

Amy 

If you're going through hell, keep going!

Jeremiah 29: 11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: