4 replies to this topic

#1 slickdaddy0077

slickdaddy0077

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

So I'm about 10 days into my 100% gluten free diet because of celiac disease and let me tell you, it has been interesting to say the least. About 2 days ago, day 8 I started having very vivid dreams. Mostly erotic dreams, go figure!! Haha. Anyway, I know that we all dream but it seems like my subconscious has taken a walk down the red light district. The last time that I can really remember dreaming like this was when I quit smoking 3 years ago. It seems like I have the ability to stop and start and control when and where my dreams take me. Strange right? It must be a byproduct of my new lifestyle changes.
Also, my anxiety and irritability has subsided considerably. My memory is working better and my mood has elevated and is more stable and I find it easier by the day to be my old self of glass half full again.
I guess that it really is true that you are what you eat. No explanation for the red light district thing though but who's really a victim here right?
Has anyone else experienced these types of things?

What seemed to be a real bummer 10 - 12 days ago, has really turned out to be a very good thing so far.

I just thought that I would share this with all and get some feedback.

Thank you! :D

Michael L.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:30 AM

The anxiety, irritability and the memory issues resolving --most of us can relate to and that is a very good thing.

The lessening of nightmares and insomnia and getting "our old selves" back--ditto.

The x rated dreams....hmm, well, in 3 years of reading this forum, I can't say as I have seen that one before, but if they are pleasant, how can that be bad?  A return of libido is often reported by both men and women, so that seems like a win-win, yes?. :)

I have read your other thread and I know you are concerned about the meds situation--so, be sure your doc is aware of the possibility

that you may need to slowly decrease the dosages (and you may find you will not need them at all.)

Stay the course, hang in there and I am glad you are seeing postiive changes already.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Well, can we trade dreams? :)  Believe me, you'll be getting the short end of the stick though.

Celiac disease can affect any part of the body, so anything is fair game.  Hormones can be affected too.  Hashimoto's Thyroiditis destroys the thyroid via an autoimmune attack.  Of course the thyroid produces a very important hormone that we can't live without.  Hashi's T. is more common in people with celiac disease than the rest of the population.  So, no reason I can think of why other hormones couldn't be affected also.  Possibly through other processes, like malabsorption or nerve impairment or other?

It's good that your having improvement so quickly.  Don't be too surprised if things go a little wonky at times with the recovery process.  It often enough seems like recovery is a bit of a roller coaster effect for people.  But as long as the general trend is positive overall, that's a good thing.

It may be helpful to write down your symptoms from before the gluten-free diet and also how the changes have felt.  It might be handy to review later on.  It's also helpful to be careful about adding new things to your diet.  Adding one new food item per weeks is good idea.  Adding two or three foods at once makes it difficult to figure out which may be causing a reaction.  Slow and steady is quicker in the long run.

I know you travel a lot for work. So it might help to stick with one restraunt for a particular trip, as long as it's safe.  The more variables in our diets the harder it is to keep clear of gluten.

All ahead full steam now though, you are on the right road! :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 Ksee

Ksee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

Another guess, the first thing that entered my mind was how medications that block nicotine receptors cause increased dreams for some people and the same neurotransmitters are associated with some of the complications of celiac.

Every brain is just a bit different so I wouldn't be blown away to find dreaming was affected.

#5 slickdaddy0077

slickdaddy0077

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

Interesting. Thank you. And yes, one day at a time.

Thank you! :D

Michael L.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: