26 replies to this topic

#16 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:46 AM

I have noticed that too.  As someone mentioned, glutening can make you awfully grumpy.  In forums, as in life, there are different folks.  Bullies don't bully when people surround the victim and help out.  It is the responsibility of all of us to try to keep the forum positive.  We all need to step in and and be supportive if we think that someone is being treated poorly.  If 10 people respond with positive replies, that will dilute out that one grumpy reply and make the sting much less.  People who post and believe pseudo science generally don't know any better.  We can help to educate.  You read like you will be a positive addition to the forum and I hope that you will stay around and help make it a good one.   

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:54 AM

all I can say is that I have always felt support and welcomed, and this forum saved my life.

#18 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

IMHO, one persons statement of their opinions is another's "snarky" comment.   Our personal perspectives can sometimes skew the intended meaning of comments.  

I am also of the opinion that "self proclaimed" snarckies are a great thing!

Let's all remember that we are talking to boxes of text and really have no idea who is at the other keyboard.

I'll now slip my soap box back under the chair;)

Love You Guys, 

Colleen 

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

You are welcome Ksee.  It all too true that writing on the internet can be taken totally the opposite of what's intended sometimes.  Not seeing body language means some things are not interpreted the way we intend.  If you ever want to suggest I change anything I've said and don't want to call it out in the thread, feel free to PM me.  I think that is a fine way to deal with  misunderstandings.  I can always flip a coin and decide if I want to accept your critique after all.  Not! :D

Hi Colleen (GFLover), great to see you around!  I was wondering how things were going for you.  Keeping the doctors on their toes are ya?

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#20 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

GfinDC,  so funny you mentioned Doctors.  We went to the golf coarse this morning.  Hubs and his golfing buddy were golfing while I drove around enjoying the beautiful scenery.  We have new baby goslings on the coarse and they are just fuzzy little things.  I took some pics when the parents weren't hissing at me lol.  Oh, back to my point.  Hubs golfing buddy is also my Cardiologist !!!

He and his wife are great to be around.  All the Professionals in our town all belong to the same country club so you get to know everyone on a personal level.  Just remembered I do have a Doctor Appt. Tomorrow.  Thyroid nodules are sticking out my neck now and also putting pressure on my throat.  I say cut the whole damn thing out and be done.  

Hope all is well with you too,

Colleen 

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

GfinDC,  so funny you mentioned Doctors.  We went to the golf coarse this morning.  Hubs and his golfing buddy were golfing while I drove around enjoying the beautiful scenery.  We have new baby goslings on the coarse and they are just fuzzy little things.  I took some pics when the parents weren't hissing at me lol.  Oh, back to my point.  Hubs golfing buddy is also my Cardiologist !!!

He and his wife are great to be around.  All the Professionals in our town all belong to the same country club so you get to know everyone on a personal level.  Just remembered I do have a Doctor Appt. Tomorrow.  Thyroid nodules are sticking out my neck now and also putting pressure on my throat.  I say cut the whole damn thing out and be done.  

Hope all is well with you too,

Colleen 

Oh boy, geese can get quite a hissy-fit going!  Good thing you were carting, cause them birds like to run up and peck people sometimes.  At least the ones we had on the farm as a kid did.  I think they like the taste of people! :)

Ah yes, thyroids can be fun eh?  I have a cyst on the front of my throat from my thyroid.  Being a man I can cheat a little and grow a long gray/white beard to kind of hide it.  So I did!  Mine isn't quite putting out the juice like it used to tho, so I take Natural Sources raw thyroid pills.  I ran out about a month ago and got to feeling pretty crappy.  Finally got started on some pills again last week and it made a big difference.  No more sore joints, not sleeping 12 hours day, neck not creaking and clicking anymore.  Digestion is moving faster too.  And I actually have some energy.  My cyst is in a location where the doc said he would have to remove the whole thyroid, not just half of it like they can do sometimes.  But so far I am getting along ok with it.  I gotta go back and get checked for my nodules soon tho, in case they have decided to get larger.  Most of the time nodules are not a problem (benign) and most people have them at some point in life.

That's great the doctors like to play golf.  Keeps them off their boats I guess. :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

I hate it when people are mean and make assumptions.

But the support I have had here and on another site of a man known for the odd rant, have given me back my life. I will always be grateful to the folks who give so much of their time and knowledge here.

When I started here I remember thinking some people were a bit hard on people who hadn't found their way through the diet. I ended up having to make radical changes to my diet, and I now have a very clean diet, and have my life back. So I understand. I am glad I read their posts. Not everyone will need it, but for anyone not getting rid of symptoms, it could be a lifesaver.

I am not excusing some of the awful rudeness of the last few days. At all.

I hope you find ways to benefit you health, or that of your loved ones. It is what the vast majority of us are here for.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#23 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

Oh boy, geese can get quite a hissy-fit going!  Good thing you were carting, cause them birds like to run up and peck people sometimes.  At least the ones we had on the farm as a kid did.  I think they like the taste of people! :)

Ah yes, thyroids can be fun eh?  I have a cyst on the front of my throat from my thyroid.  Being a man I can cheat a little and grow a long gray/white beard to kind of hide it.  So I did!  Mine isn't quite putting out the juice like it used to tho, so I take Natural Sources raw thyroid pills.  I ran out about a month ago and got to feeling pretty crappy.  Finally got started on some pills again last week and it made a big difference.  No more sore joints, not sleeping 12 hours day, neck not creaking and clicking anymore.  Digestion is moving faster too.  And I actually have some energy.  My cyst is in a location where the doc said he would have to remove the whole thyroid, not just half of it like they can do sometimes.  But so far I am getting along ok with it.  I gotta go back and get checked for my nodules soon tho, in case they have decided to get larger.  Most of the time nodules are not a problem (benign) and most people have them at some point in life.

That's great the doctors like to play golf.  Keeps them off their boats I guess. :)

Same thing here.  They found it before cancer diagnosis.  Since I went through the immunotherapy my numbers have been all over and now aside from the original (calcified) nodule, I've developed two new ones, not calcified.  It's been hard trying to get my immune system to stop attacking me.  Hopefully getting the thyroid under control again will do the trick.  Glad your thyroid is doing better.  They really can throw you out of whack.  Our geese here are a bit kinder, they only start hissing at around 10 feet.  They are pretty used to alot of people around, thankfully.

Moderators: please forgive me for hijacking the thread.  I meant no harm :)

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:55 AM

Moderators: please forgive me for hijacking the thread.  I meant no harm :)

No worries,  Colleen---I would not call it a highjack at all! 

Instead, I think it is a perfect example of how we gab with each other

often about our various health issues, our day- to -day activities and the occasional geese encounters, too.

The golf community I told you about (that we are moving to) has these elegant sand cranes with fuzzy little babes and I am excited to meet them.  :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#25 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. This forum has literally been like life support for me.

When I first joined I was just diagnosed and moved to a new state. I was overwhelmed, overmedicated,scared and wrote some pretty whacky posts. I don't think they offended anyone (at least I hope they didn't). I was always treated with love, support, encouragement, wisdom, and a lot of laughter. I hope you'll stick around long enough to see how very much the people here care.

Please feel free to PM me if you need to vent. And a belated welcome.

Loey

#26 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

Ksee--

Stick around.  I always try to remember that we all have opinions and very different bodies.  What works for some doesn't for others.  One person will have the best Endo in the world and swear by them while another has gotten the run around by 2 or 3.  I eat dairy products, some would tell me I'm absolutely crazy for consuming it early in my "healing" but I needed the weight desperately and could pound serious calories that way, additionally, I wasn't having symptoms from it--but some do...  It's a difference of opinions clearly, but both opinions are correct in the right given individual.

If one keeps that in mind as they read these threads it makes it easier to sort through what applies to you and what doesn't.  One of the many things I LOVE about this board is the honesty.  People say what they think and its not real sugarcoated.  This place is a great go-to for me because it allows me to talk disease state with others who "get it" thereby allowing me to enjoy the relationships in my daily life without having to constantly burden my friends and family with conversations that begin with "Do you think..."

Anyhow, stay tuned.  You'll find good info here.  Its true, there are some sharp people here.  Happy Saturday!

Diagnosis 11/2012

#27 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

I meant no harm :)

edited...oops a bit insensitive...

We know you mean no harm -- great to see you chatting here Colleen :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: